U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 12:01 PM

6,907 posts, read 4,422,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I would imagine B&N gets more $$$.

Legoland is coming to Phipps, fwiw.
In that case, we'll all be hanging out in Legoland! They do have wi-fi right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 10:38 PM

222 posts, read 387,948 times
I went to the Borders today. The coffee shop is already closed. Gone.

"Closing" signs are hung every couple feet. Everywhere! Sad...

Some of the staff have been there years. They seem a bit angry. Apparently, they were told at the first of the year, only 5 Atlanta stores would be closing. Just a couple weeks ago, word comes that virtually all the stores are going to shutter. Something stinks!

I was told that The East Cobb store on 120, would be staying open. Went there to find, not a soul in the cafe, and there were as many employees, as there were customers.

Went to the other extreme, and visited the Borders at Stonecrest Mall. Another location staying open I was told.

Stonecrest? You got to be kidding me. Trash in the parking lot, and gangster thugs in the mall. However, it's a location Borders is turning a dollar? Ha!

B&N will have to do, but I really don't care for it. Kinda
stuffy" to me. Two others places I will be spending more time:

Atlanta Vintage Books - Collectible, Rare, and used books

You better like CATS, though! There's a bunch roaming the store, and here's the scene on the store's sidewalk:

I also suggest:

Book Nook The - Decatur

Old 03-25-2011, 10:47 PM

8,862 posts, read 8,963,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulver View Post
I went to the Borders today. The coffee shop is already closed. Gone.

"Closing" signs are hung every couple feet. Everywhere! Sad...

Some of the staff have been there years. They seem a bit angry. Apparently, they were told at the first of the year, only 5 Atlanta stores would be closing. Just a couple weeks ago, word comes that virtually all the stores are going to shutter. Something stinks!

I was told that The East Cobb store on 120, would be staying open. Went there to find, not a soul in the cafe, and there were as many employees, as there were customers.

Went to the other extreme, and visited the Borders at Stonecrest Mall. Another location staying open I was told.

Stonecrest? You got to be kidding me. Trash in the parking lot, and gangster thugs in the mall. However, it's a location Borders is turning a dollar? Ha!

B&N will have to do, but I really don't care for it. Kinda
stuffy" to me. Two others places I will be spending more time:

Atlanta Vintage Books - Collectible, Rare, and used books

You better like CATS, though! There's a bunch roaming the store, and here's the scene on the store's sidewalk:

I also suggest:

Book Nook The - Decatur
I worked at that Borders some years ago. Many fine and exceptionally kind people on that staff. It has to be very difficult for them. They are 'book people' and will go on but this is a real loss. I think the company has had problems for over a decade. I really enjoyed working for this company.

I remember when Oxford books closed--still miss that store.

In the Toco Hill shopping center there is Tall Tales --very nice little book store. The owner was considering closing but customers encouraged her to stay open. If you're in the area drop by.
http://www.indiebound.org/stores/tal...-book-shop-inc

Old 03-25-2011, 10:53 PM

27,825 posts, read 23,097,803 times
The Borders in Kennesaw, I think it's gone too. That was my major hangout. I just go in, read a few books, get some coffee, some pop, something to eat. It is definitely a place for ME. And oh yes, the view is wonderful, being perched upon a hill. Nothing against Barnes and Noble, as I go there too, but it's a bit far for my tastes. Borders was closer, therefore, I went there. I'm going to miss the place.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:16 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,233,298 times
Are you guys saying that eventually all of us will be forced to do our reading on e-books? Kindle...and whatever else you call the other gadgets?...

Oh, my Lord. If this is what you are saying, I am on my way of turning illiterate - because I absolutely HATE reading on electronics. My eyes hurt and jump all over the place, I can't underline and take notes, I can't turn pages - the experience is absolutely miserable as far as I am concerned.

I am beyond flabbergasted when I hear some people saying that they just read everything in electronic form. How they can do that is beyond me.

Goodness people, the answer to EVERYTHING in this life is not always in newer and newer technology. Enough already. This obsession with constant and rapid "progress" via technology needs to be taken many, many notches down.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:55 AM

8,862 posts, read 8,963,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Are you guys saying that eventually all of us will be forced to do our reading on e-books? Kindle...and whatever else you call the other gadgets?...

Oh, my Lord. If this is what you are saying, I am on my way of turning illiterate - because I absolutely HATE reading on electronics. My eyes hurt and jump all over the place, I can't underline and take notes, I can't turn pages - the experience is absolutely miserable as far as I am concerned.

I am beyond flabbergasted when I hear some people saying that they just read everything in electronic form. How they can do that is beyond me.

Goodness people, the answer to EVERYTHING in this life is not always in newer and newer technology. Enough already. This obsession with constant and rapid "progress" via technology needs to be taken many, many notches down.
Just go to the Book Nook--recycling will thrive for decades to come.

I can't be bothered with electronic devices if I want to read.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:27 PM

6,907 posts, read 4,422,502 times
It's too bad that the Lenox Borders coffee shop closed. No reason for me to go there now. I was never one though to grab a book or magazine and read it in the coffee shop. And even though a number of people liked to hang out in the coffee shop, their registers downstairs did seem to be busy too. Borders should just merge with B&N and close the competing store locations. Thereby making a last stand (along with Blockbusters) for the bookstore chain business model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post

Don't worry, there will be an app for that if not already. With a touchscreen you will be able to underline any desired text, indicate with a tag on the text a popup window with your notes for that passage, and swipe your finger across the screen for a simulated page turn complete with page turn rustle sound. Plus screens are improving for readability coupled with people getting used to read them. I know I have. I especially like the Mac screens. And best of all, you can carry an entire library with you. Shoot, put on your headphones and the Kindle could read the book to you.

Quote:
The one place that to me doesn't seem to be working is in the classroom. The electronic gizmos seem to make the class too passive. And computers on every desk doesn't work either as students want to spend time on Facebook rather than follow the lecture.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:45 PM

2,039 posts, read 2,677,121 times
Quote:
My eyes hurt and jump all over the place,
Most ebook readers aren't backlit like a computer screen. With e-ink technology on the Kindle, the page looks just like a page in a book. Bookstores and paper books and even magazines are going to be a niche market, much like vinyl records and soon CDs. It's nature of the beast. Current print publishing is not a sustainable model. As it stands now publishers print the book then ship it to stores who pay half the sticker price. If they don't sell they're allowed to return it to the publisher for credit. Midlist authors, those who aren't on the bestseller lists are being cut left and right. Many are beginning to self-publish not because they aren't good writers, but because they can't get a contract unless the publisher can guarantee that they'll sell hundreds of thousands of books.

Ebooks don't have the cost of printing and shipping associated with them. Thus it's cheaper for a person to self-publish. They are also immediate and more portable. No more going to the bookstore only to find you have to wait for whatever book you went there for. You literally have an entire bookstore at your fingertips, instantly.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:48 PM

2,039 posts, read 2,677,121 times
Quote:
The one place that to me doesn't seem to be working is in the classroom.
One area I can see ebooks really booming is in the textbook trade. As things stand now, publishers are creating books for just a few large states like Texas and California and the rest of us pretty much have to buy what they want. So, for instance, if Texas decides they want creationism in their textbooks we all have to have it. It's simply too expensive to print individual books for each state. However, with e-technology customization is fairly simple. A publisher can create "pods" of information and the individual states can select what they want in their textbooks. A simple process that makes the production of textbooks much easier. Further, keeping the books updated is as simple as cut and paste. No more outdated schoolbooks.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:56 PM

27,825 posts, read 23,097,803 times
All of this talk about eBooks is disturbing me. I like to pick up a book in person, and read it in person, paper pages and all. It is a personal thing for me. I don't like eBooks. I like the feeling of picking up a book and actually reading it. eBooks sounds too impersonal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta