Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 06:47 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,128,503 times

Advertisements

Barnes and Noble is seeing its sales collapse.

For Barnes & Noble's Nook, the beginning of the end | ZDNet

They are trying a partnership with Google, maybe B&N can become distribution centers for Google. I buy a lot of my stuff and ebooks through Amazon. Haven't bought anything from Google.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 06:52 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,402,953 times
Amazon pretty much killed of the need for paper backs. The kindles and tablets are dooming them.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:14 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
I have a Nook. They stopped coming out with quality apps at least a year ago. I was a B&N member for years, but canceled when I realized they didn't discount Nook books, only hard copies. These days, I find almost title I'm looking for at thrift stores if I wait a few months. B&N really shot themselves in the foot. Their stores carry more toys and gift items than books these days. Regardless, I'll be sorry to see them go if it happens.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:42 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,047,632 times
I hate to say it, but they totally deserve it.

I was horrified when I walked into a Barnes & Noble to find that unless a book is a bestseller, they absolute refuse to discount it. You can literally find book on bn.com for 30-35% less than at Barnes & Noble. And you can often find them at Amazon for 50%.

That markup is inexcusable. Most other retailers with online presences have figured out how to match their own online pricing. Stores like Fry's even match internet prices.

If Barnes & Noble is serious about staying in business, it needs to figure out what the immediate gratification premium is on books. I am guessing it is 10-15%, meaning most people would pay 10-15% extra to buy the book they are holding over going home, ordering it online, and then waiting for it to ship.

I don't know what that premium is, but I do know this: it isn't 100%. But Barnes and Noble routinely stocks books that cost TWICE AS MUCH as you can get them for on Amazon. That's not a realistic business model, especially when people can buy the book from Amazon on their smart phones as they are looking at it at the store.

I really hope they figure this out because I do like bookstores. I like the neat gifts they carry, I like the impulse purchase books, and B&N does print some nice hardcovers themselves that only they sell. It would be a shame to lose that, but they need to get their acts together and figure out how to exist in this omnichannel retail environment.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:05 PM

559 posts, read 832,049 times
Love going to the Cumberland B&N and hanging out, especially during cold weather months when the family needs an outing. Read a few books, kids hang in the kids section, get a hot chocolate in the cafe . . .

. . . but we NEVER buy books there. Apparently, nobody else is either because it's always packed but they usually only have one cash register going w/ no line. People treat B&N like it's a Starbuck's w/ a really big reading/browsing section.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:16 PM

403 posts, read 618,959 times
and they will be gone in 12 months or less...

Old 08-10-2014, 08:48 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,929,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPark View Post
Love going to the Cumberland B&N and hanging out, especially during cold weather months when the family needs an outing. Read a few books, kids hang in the kids section, get a hot chocolate in the cafe . . .

. . . but we NEVER buy books there. Apparently, nobody else is either because it's always packed but they usually only have one cash register going w/ no line. People treat B&N like it's a Starbuck's w/ a really big reading/browsing section.
I've gone to B&N just to browse around like that with some friends after frozen yogurt or something but we never buy anything. You go in, see some cool stuff, read a few pages maybe read a book with some coffee and then leave. It's like having a bar with people hanging out inside but not buying any drinks. Some places have cover charges for that but Barnes & Noble? That would never happen. Just like Blockbuster got killed with streaming video on demand, these bookstores just aren't gonna last.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:11 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I have a Nook. They stopped coming out with quality apps at least a year ago.
The Nook is actually a great tablet. I got several of them for the grandkids and converted them to full Android via CM. They'll easily hold their own with tablets costing two or three times more.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:32 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,818,726 times
Times change. I might have been considered a full blown nerd considering the amount of time I spent in bookstores in the past. I had a discount card for all of them and believe me, the major ones all had or still have one.

Around the time that the Borders on the corner of Cumberland and 41 closed was when I started to give up on bookstores. I did however revive my old school library habit.

While I still feel there are few things more relaxing than curling up on a chair with a good book, there really is nothing wrong with the e-versions. As long as people keep writing and others keep reading, then it's all good regardless of the method.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:39 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,818,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Barnes and Noble is seeing its sales collapse.

For Barnes & Noble's Nook, the beginning of the end | ZDNet

They are trying a partnership with Google, maybe B&N can become distribution centers for Google. I buy a lot of my stuff and ebooks through Amazon. Haven't bought anything from Google.
Oh, I just remembered I was at the B&N next to Cumberland Mall quite a few years ago. Jimmy Carter was there signing whatever book he wrote. His daughter Amy was there as well. It's the funniest thing ever that I never read the book after standing in line forever, but I do have a signed copy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta