U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 02:34 PM

7,112 posts, read 8,372,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I should have went to Tech

The last thing Atlanta needs is another law school. Engineers actually do good things for humanity. And anyway, if Tech graduates have no use for their souls they can enroll at GSU or Emory which are both just down the street.
I agree. I don't think we have a shortage of lawyers and Emory and, believe it or not, Georgia State are good law schools. Actually lawyers do a lot of good making deals possible, creating contracts, and taking care of the inevitable legal issues (e.g. patents) bringing products to market. They are not all ambulance chasers.

Tech having a law school would only serve GT's purposes. Georgia State is targeting business law so GSU can cover the need for any aspiring Tech MBA. It was about 20 years ago that GT was thinking of having a Med School to bring engineering to medicine, but they instead teamed up with Emory which seems to be the better idea.

Quote:
Tech is fine as it is and there's no reason to be an "education snob." You know... the type that puts all those elite college/university stickers on the back window of their 92 Sentra which is parked at the Starbucks where they work.
I suppose GT can rise higher in the rankings but the Regents have been pressuring them to accept more in-state people since that was GT's original mission. With UGA and Georgia Southern now getting into engineering, maybe that'll free GT to pursue a super elite status.

But I must admit that I don't know if these ranking mean much other than the faculty are good. That doesn't mean they are good instructors for the students. Professors are too busy with their research to worry about the classroom. Their careers depend on publishing and winning grants.

I recall someone at Emory saying of Tech that "they have the attitude that they can do everything better". I can see some advantage with that attitude but GT people must be really bad team players.

Last edited by MathmanMathman; 03-20-2011 at 02:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 02:39 PM

2,407 posts, read 2,694,898 times
FWIW, GT's latest admission numbers for this past year are down to 47.9% acceptance on 14,210 applicants.

Georgia Tech applicants will learn their fate *| ajc.com

Old 03-20-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
#3 Georgia Tech is the only school among the top 6 to have a male / female ratio of 65/35. The other top five are more like 50/50. Perhaps that is why there is only 13k applicants applying instead of 21k. Though academics is a priority for many college students, a good social life and dating scene is just as important. It would be nice to see more women get accepted to Georgia Tech in the coming years.
Most of those geeks wouldn't know what to do with a woman anyway. So what is the math here anyway? If all these excess guys aren't attracting the women to balance things out, does Tech accept less qualified females? Wouldn't that hurt Tech's ranking? Or will these additional women attract brighter males to offset them? Seems like we aren't getting anywhere here.

Quote:
#4 Right now Georgia Tech's Asian % is around 17%. I'd like to see that Asian number around 22-25%.
UCLA - white 38% Asian 38% Black 4% hispanic 15%
Berkeley white 38% Asian 40% Black 2% hispanic 14%
Georgia Tech white 66% Asian 17% Black 6% hispanic 4%

Georgia Tech still doesn't have that brand recognition like "Louis Vitton" among the top Asian applicants like UCLA and Berkeley does. Perhaps Georgia Tech will be that coveted school among the top Asian applicants by 2020. Only time will tell.
This is sounding a bit racist.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post

I suppose GT can rise higher in the rankings but the Regents have been pressuring them to accept more in-state people since that was GT's original mission. With UGA and Georgia Southern now getting into engineering, maybe that'll free GT to pursue an elite status.

But I must admit that I don't know if these ranking mean much other than the faculty are good. That doesn't mean they are good instructors for the students. Professors are too busy with their research to worry about the classroom. Their careers depend on publishing and winning grants.

I recall someone at Emory saying of Tech that "they have the attitude that they can do everything better". I can see some advantage with that attitude but GT people must be really bad team players.

This is the wrong way of looking at GT. GT is the #4 engineering school in the country per the USN&WR rankings. This is largely what GT does. 60% of the undergrad population falls in the College of Engineering.

The 'better than everyone' attitude is a byproduct of the way GT is run. GT is hard to get into, but even harder to 'get out of' (graduate). We laugh at other schools that are very hard to get into, but easy to graduate with a 3.0. Emory and Duke are great schools, but once you are in, you are set to graduate with a 3.0. Grade inflation at most colleges is rampant, but not GT. GT grads pride themselves on 'surviving' the academic rigors of GT. Does that make GT grads bad team players? Nope. It makes us better prepared for the real world and ready to tackle tough challenges that others aren't prepared to.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Most of those geeks wouldn't know what to do with a woman anyway. So what is the math here anyway? If all these excess guys aren't attracting the women to balance things out, does Tech accept less qualified females? Wouldn't that hurt Tech's ranking? Or will these additional women attract brighter males to offset them? Seems like we aren't getting anywhere here.

This is sounding a bit racist.
There is about a 30 point SAT gap between male and female students. I would not want to see a gap wider than this. I would've loved more girls on campus, but Atlanta is a target friendly environment. Agnes-Scott, Emory, AUC, Kennesaw are all within 25 miles and offer all the easy women you could possibly want .

Old 03-20-2011, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
I so don't get this. As others have pointed out, GT evidently gets something of a self-selecting applicant pool at present, and to me that seems like a very good thing. Getting a lot more ineligible applications, which would require spending more funds to provide a larger admissions staff to process all those useless applications, would somehow make GT a "better" school? How does having a larger admissions staff rejecting more applications in any way improve the quality of teaching, research or campus life for actual admitted students and faculty?
I believe there is a $65 application fee, and if it's done electronically, GT probably makes money on each application.

But yes, the way the formula works, getting a large number of applications and rejecting a large percentage of them gives your school a high "selectivity" rating.

Let's do that again.

Last edited by MathmanMathman; 03-20-2011 at 03:15 PM..

Old 03-20-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
This is the wrong way of looking at GT. GT is the #4 engineering school in the country per the USN&WR rankings. This is largely what GT does. 60% of the undergrad population falls in the College of Engineering.
I don't know what this is in regard to.

Quote:
The 'better than everyone' attitude is a byproduct of the way GT is run. GT is hard to get into, but even harder to 'get out of' (graduate). We laugh at other schools that are very hard to get into, but easy to graduate with a 3.0. Emory and Duke are great schools, but once you are in, you are set to graduate with a 3.0. Grade inflation at most colleges is rampant, but not GT. GT grads pride themselves on 'surviving' the academic rigors of GT. Does that make GT grads bad team players? Nope. It makes us better prepared for the real world and ready to tackle tough challenges that others aren't prepared to.
Like the Emory guy said "bad team players". For me, Tech is not hard to graduate from, just hard to excel in.

Old 03-20-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I don't know what this is in regard to.

Like the Emory guy said "bad team players". For me, Tech is not hard to graduate from, just hard to excel in.

1st coment was in regards to the idea that GT needs to rise up these rankings. GT is not the 35th best school at what they do, they are the 4th best at what they do.

It is not hard to graduate from? Are you a student/graduate? Just trying to figure out if you are qualified to make a statement like this.

The retention numbers, 4-yr graduation rates, and personal experience say otherwise (2 degrees from GT). Think about it, GT is bringing in the cream of the crop high school seniors and graduating far fewer of them than their peer institutions. This is purely a function of GT being harder than these other schools.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
1st coment was in regards to the idea that GT needs to rise up these rankings. GT is not the 35th best school at what they do, they are the 4th best at what they do.
35th best is judging the school overall. Engineering can only help not hinder. Tech had been adding majors to attract a more diverse student body and to retain those who find engineering not to their taste. In the past, Tech didn't care if students transferred but now, thanks to the rankings, Tech wants to keep everyone it can.

Quote:
It is not hard to graduate from? Are you a student/graduate? Just trying to figure out if you are qualified to make a statement like this.
I got an "A" in drownproofing. Really, if you put in the effort, anyone who can get in can graduate. Even if you have to change your major, you can graduate from Tech. The only people I knew who couldn't cut it were either girls who were unqualified but admitted because of "the ratio" or guys who partied too much at the Frat houses. Just avoid the bad profs and get "word" and you can graduate. But those "A"s are elusive.

Quote:
The retention numbers, 4-yr graduation rates, and personal experience say otherwise (2 degrees from GT). Think about it, GT is bringing in the cream of the crop high school seniors and graduating far fewer of them than their peer institutions. This is purely a function of GT being harder than these other schools.
If anything, Tech is somewhat easier now. Tech wants students to graduate which makes it look good in the rankings. The US News rankings use retention and 6-year graduation rates in their calculation so they want people to make it through. And even for Tech, 6-years should be enough. In the past, Tech wanted to weed people out as if it were some badge of honor to graduate but that attitude would bring Tech down in the rankings.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:10 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,078,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
He's just focused on moving up on the rankings...
Quote:
I believe there is a $65 application fee, and if it's done electronically, GT probably makes money on each application.

But yes, the way the formula works, getting a large number of applications and rejecting a large percentage of them gives your school a high "selectivity" rating.

Let's do that again.
Maybe the money would be a net gain, after all.

Apart from that, I did actually understand about the rankings. I was just trying to point out that I think this attitude is deplorable. Wanting to do whatever gives a higher ranking for the sake of a higher ranking ...! A university is good if it has good teaching and research, not because it changed some practices to fit some silly numerical weighting scheme invented by a magazine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or