Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 08:53 AM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,721,498 times

Advertisements

Side note: I was one of those that chose to come to tech over other places (carnegie mellon, rochester institute of tech, rice university) and paid the out of state tuition. The total tab for ALL expenses for four years came out to just under 90k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 09:01 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,094,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP View Post
#3 is not very important. I was apprehensive about it when I was 17 and arrived on campus, but Atlanta is a big city with plenty of women. Forget about trying to improve that by adding degree programs (they already have STAC and a lot of useless "management" classes), and if recruiting women for engineering doesn't work, so be it.
"Management" is not useless; it's what allows Tech to be competitive in sports. I remember one year the women's basketball team was marketed as "Strictly Business"....um why do you think they used that line?

Quote:
GT grads are just fine at "team playing" when necessary.
Key phrase "when necessary". Honestly, I met some Tech people who really believed they were "God's gift to mankind".

Old 03-21-2011, 09:06 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,094,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP View Post
Side note: I was one of those that chose to come to tech over other places (carnegie mellon, rochester institute of tech, rice university) and paid the out of state tuition. The total tab for ALL expenses for four years came out to just under 90k.
Given those options, I'd have picked Carnegie-Mellon or Rice.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:47 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,520,822 times
I am 35 and work amongst probably 20-30 other people in the 30-50 year old age range, from all over the country/world. The only people who I could really tell you where they went to school are the Tech people, because they are the only people who seem to think anyone cares. It's like some sort of bizarre competition for them to prove how great their school is when, ironically, no one could care less. Actually, I learned more about UGA rankings from Tech grads because they seem to be obsessed with them, which is just silly. I think once you get 5+ years under your belt in your field, where you went to school becomes mostly irrelevant.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:52 AM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,721,498 times
It might be a geek thing. Virginia Tech folks are like that too, I work with plenty of them.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:34 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,096,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
Yeah so? The Asian population was small, so exceeding 100% growth isn't hard. Atlanta, though, has a HUGE, established black populace that continues to grow as a percentage of population and is still regarded as a black mecca . So, my perception of Atlanta is still in line with 2011.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Pecentage growth in this case means nothing...100% increase is nice and all, but when you're still at 3%, it's still nothing....

If I have $1, and get another dollar....that's a big percentage increase, but I'm still broke....
I find it amusing when people minimize the growth of other minority groups in Atlanta. It's so obvious they are threatened by any of Atlanta's associations that contradict their Afrocentric worldview of the city.

They might not want to take a look at the projections for Asians in metro Atlanta for 2030. The harsh dose of reality will likely ruin their day in addition to dashing their dreams.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:37 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,505,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
I find it amusing when people minimize the growth of other minority groups in Atlanta. It's so obvious they are threatened by any of Atlanta's associations that contradict their Afrocentric worldview of the city.

They might not want to take a look at the projections for Asians in metro Atlanta for 2030. The harsh dose of reality will likely ruin their day in addition to dashing their dreams.
This guy again

Old 03-21-2011, 11:38 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,505,560 times
I know GT well and have many friends who graduated from there and most are great people and have very good careers. GT seems to give them a great foundation to apply skills learned instead of just having a degree.

I remember them complaining how hard it was and the long nights many put in. Seems to have paid off. I think its great to drive thru the campus and see the great changes and how they have helped out Spring st etc (convention center etc).

The worst part are the useless, abusive, craptastic GT COPS who are good for nothing.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:39 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,515,348 times
Quote:

Dude...

(Why am I even bothering?)

Old 03-21-2011, 11:43 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,404,433 times
Quote:

If it's not Cobain (Btw, Kurt is dead...stop asking him to come back ), it's BlondeandFun! (Where is your brother btw?).

What does that have to do with what I said? What are you talking about? Something seems to be itching you....I'm all for diversity, but 100% of a small amount like 3% is still less than 5% of of 45%....Do the math...

Deal with your inadequacies.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta