Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 11:03 PM

957 posts, read 3,343,065 times

Advertisements

School Acceptance rate SAT (25-75%)
#1 UC Berkeley 22% 1230-1470
#2 UCLA 22% 1170-1410
#3 University of Virginia 32% 1230-1440
#4 University of Michigan 50% 27-31
#5 U of North Carolina Chapel Hill 32% 1210-1410
#6 Georgia Tech 59% 1230-1430

What does Georgia Tech have to do to become the #3rd best public university in the nation? Is it possible that Georgia Tech can beat out UNC, Michigan, and Virginia?

Here are couple of things i've observed about Georgia Tech.
#1 the test scores/GPA is in par with Berkeley & UCLA which is quite impressive as it shows me that the caliber of students of GT are top-notch, however the acceptance rate is a bit at high 59%. I'd like to see applicants rise from 13k to 21k to bring down the acceptance rate to around 30%. All the other top 5 institutions have around 25k to 33k applicants every year, where Georgia Tech as has only 13k. Anyone know why this is?

#2 Georgia Tech is the only school among the top 6 without a Law School? All the other top #6 public institutions have a highly ranked Law and Business schools except for GT. Any chance that Georgia Tech will have a law school with its new MBA program any time soon?

#3 Georgia Tech is the only school among the top 6 to have a male / female ratio of 65/35. The other top five are more like 50/50. Perhaps that is why there is only 13k applicants applying instead of 21k. Though academics is a priority for many college students, a good social life and dating scene is just as important. It would be nice to see more women get accepted to Georgia Tech in the coming years.

#4 Right now Georgia Tech's Asian % is around 17%. I'd like to see that Asian number around 22-25%.
UCLA - white 38% Asian 38% Black 4% hispanic 15%
Berkeley white 38% Asian 40% Black 2% hispanic 14%
Georgia Tech white 66% Asian 17% Black 6% hispanic 4%

Georgia Tech still doesn't have that brand recognition like "Louis Vitton" among the top Asian applicants like UCLA and Berkeley does. Perhaps Georgia Tech will be that coveted school among the top Asian applicants by 2020. Only time will tell.

Though I don't think Georgia Tech will be able to beat out Berkeley and LA in the next 20 years. I do think that Georgia Tech has the potential for the #3 spot beating out Virginia, Michigan and UNC.

Last edited by mrpanda; 03-19-2011 at 11:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 12:11 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,524,676 times
#1: It is an engineering/sciences/technology school, period. The other schools on that list have decent liberal arts programs as well. Guess what fields students are steering clear of when entering college? Eng/science programs. Your real question should be why isn't the acceptance rate higher, in which case I would tell you that it is a helluva great engineering school plain and simple. And, before bringing in MIT, they (MIT) ALSO have other great programs AND prestige whores applying with no real expectation of being accepted (thus, several lack luster applications). GT is great for engineering, and has an applicant pool that is "self selecting" in this regard. Thus, more "quality" applicants as a percentage. Also, it's acceptance rate is actually 52%, but that isn't important...

#2: Again, the primary focus of GT is engineering, sciences, and research (it's second only to MIT in this regard, if I remember correctly). A law program would be unnecessary and wasteful unless it was focused on patent law, for which engineering degrees are an excellent path. It is gearing its resources at its bread and butter, STEM, instead of spreading itself thin with programs that wouldn't do as well. Even the liberal arts/humanities majors at the school are technically related and will require a calculus course of some type!

#3: Sorry to be repetitive, but it's an engineering/science school and in a state without affirmative action admissions. Look at ANY engineering school, and this ratio is actually BETTER that average. For instance, look at Southern Poly right up the road: it's not prestigious, and the focus is more on engineering tech and information technology, but still STEM related. It has an 87/13 M/F ratio. UIUC had 80/20 M/F ratio in their engineering department, I believe.

#4: Who cares? Those other schools have high Asian populations due to their California. Should be asking why the black population is so low in a city renowned as a black mecca... Also, how does Asian population/diversity have any baring on how great, academically, a school is?

BTW, the only school that has a "Louis Vuitton" cache on that list among Asians, in Asia, is Berkeley. Stanford is the other.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:12 AM

87 posts, read 106,482 times
Hmm. Did USNWR come out with new rankings? We were 7th for the longest time...

It's awesome that we beat out whoever was 6th, or maybe we tied for 7th with another university. Anyways, we need more girls if we want to eclipse Virginia and Michigan. That means adding more b.s majors, which I'm ambivalent about. Georgia Tech shouldn't water down its curriculum to get more girls into campus.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:52 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,604,828 times
About a third of GT's undergraduate enrollment is female. Where the difference is far greater is at the graduate level, where for every three males, there is only one female.

I know female undergraduate enrollment is increasing.

http://www.irp.gatech.edu/sites/www.irp.gatech.edu/files/CDS%202010-2011_1.pdf (broken link)

Old 03-20-2011, 08:17 AM

#3 Georgia Tech's positioning as just a engineering/science school wouldn't do much to beat out Michigan, Virginia, and UNC. To be fair in comparison if you were to compare SAT scores among the just the engineering & business majors at U of Illinois, UCLA, Berkeley, Michigan, and Virginia, the average SAT/GPA would be higher than Georgia Tech. I know that this will never happen, but if UGA and Georgia Tech were to become one university... i think it would have a better shot for the #3-5 spot. Still it is impressive to see Georgia Tech to tie in #6 with UC San Diego. An elite applicant looking to major in engineering or business at a top institution who also seeks a nice social life (Greek system, dating, etc) would prefer to attend UCLA, Berkeley, Michigan, or University of Illinois over Georgia Tech.

#4 Do you percieve California as the Hispanic Mecca the same way you view Georgia as a black mecca? Did you konw that California is made up of 57% white and 37% hispanic whereas Georgia is made up of 59% white and 30% black. Similar isn't it?

Sure I do believe the more Asians, the more competitive the school gets with its reputation. One example is Northview High School. Northview is a public high school in North Fulton that consistently has the highest SAT scores and Asian demographic of 34%, the highest in any public high school in Georgia. Northview also sends the highest number of students to Georgia Tech than any other public high school in Georgia. So, yes... the more Georgia Tech becomes an Asian magnet school like UCLA and Berkeley, the more competitive and desirable the school will be. (which means more applicants) I mentioned with before.. 65/35 male/female ratio is not what i call a great social life for the average college student. Georgia Tech will not be able to compete with UCLA and Berkeley in this area.

Source: I ran into two Georgia Tech students while looking for a new Canon Camera lens at a Best Buy near Gwinnett Place Mall... What i mentioned above was their biggest complaint though they did admit that the academics of GT was top notch.

These guys did give me a heck of deal on that lens by price matching with Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post

#3: Sorry to be repetitive, but it's an engineering/science school and in a state without affirmative action admissions. Look at ANY engineering school, and this ratio is actually BETTER that average. For instance, look at Southern Poly right up the road: it's not prestigious, and the focus is more on engineering tech and information technology, but still STEM related. It has an 87/13 M/F ratio. UIUC had 80/20 M/F ratio in their engineering department, I believe.

#4: Who cares? Those other schools have high Asian populations due to their California. Should be asking why the black population is so low in a city renowned as a black mecca... Also, how does Asian population/diversity have any baring on how great, academically, a school is?

BTW, the only school that has a "Louis Vuitton" cache on that list among Asians, in Asia, is Berkeley. Stanford is the other.

Last edited by mrpanda; 03-20-2011 at 09:20 AM..

Old 03-20-2011, 10:13 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,867,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
Here are couple of things i've observed about Georgia Tech.
#1 the test scores/GPA is in par with Berkeley & UCLA which is quite impressive as it shows me that the caliber of students of GT are top-notch, however the acceptance rate is a bit at high 59%. I'd like to see applicants rise from 13k to 21k to bring down the acceptance rate to around 30%. All the other top 5 institutions have around 25k to 33k applicants every year, where Georgia Tech as has only 13k. Anyone know why this is?
I so don't get this. As others have pointed out, GT evidently gets something of a self-selecting applicant pool at present, and to me that seems like a very good thing. Getting a lot more ineligible applications, which would require spending more funds to provide a larger admissions staff to process all those useless applications, would somehow make GT a "better" school? How does having a larger admissions staff rejecting more applications in any way improve the quality of teaching, research or campus life for actual admitted students and faculty?

Old 03-20-2011, 10:31 AM

RainyDay,

It is all about perception of top applicants. By top applicants i mean students who are ranked within top 10% of their prospective high schools. GT competes with schools like Michigan, UNC, UVirginia, UCLA and Berkeley. Many I have listed have top engineering and business programs. I am not advocating more useless applications, but more GT material applicants to apply. GT has 11k applicants whereas UCLA 55k. Most of the top #5 get between 25k - 55k applicants.

The other public schools GT competes with have acceptance rates between 22 - 35%, whereas GT is close to 60%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
I so don't get this. As others have pointed out, GT evidently gets something of a self-selecting applicant pool at present, and to me that seems like a very good thing. Getting a lot more ineligible applications, which would require spending more funds to provide a larger admissions staff to process all those useless applications, would somehow make GT a "better" school? How does having a larger admissions staff rejecting more applications in any way improve the quality of teaching, research or campus life for actual admitted students and faculty?

Old 03-20-2011, 01:15 PM

187 posts, read 402,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post

People! This isnt the 1990s! Update your perceptions of Atlanta to match 2011!

The census numbers have confirmed what we knew all along: Atlanta is now THE Asian mecca. It has the fastest-growing Asian population in the nation. It's growth exceeds 100%, far surpassing the black and white percentage growth.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:52 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,511,035 times
I should have went to Tech

The last thing Atlanta needs is another law school. Engineers actually do good things for humanity. And anyway, if Tech graduates have no use for their souls they can enroll at GSU or Emory which are both just down the street.

What do Asians have to do with anything? 17% is actually pretty damn good in a state which is only 3% Asian.

Tech is fine as it is and there's no reason to be an "education snob." You know... the type that puts all those elite college/university stickers on the back window of their 92 Sentra which is parked at the Starbucks where they work.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:58 PM

16,627 posts, read 29,293,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post

He's just focused on moving up on the rankings...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta