Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 11:55 AM

30 posts, read 90,776 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am curious if anyone regrets relocating to Atlanta. If so, why do you regret relocating to the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 12:06 PM

501 posts, read 798,497 times
It is overcrowded, people keep relocating here with no jobs as if it is some mecca although unemployment is high and then complain about the traffic.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:14 PM

I'm curious if people with relatively good paying jobs regret relocating? I have a very good/stable high paying job offer in Atlanta.

I wonder if others with good paying stable jobs have equal complaints about Atlanta, or is it primarily those struggling to find employment??

Old 07-12-2013, 12:42 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,754,625 times
It depends on where you are moving from, where your family is and what your motivation is for moving here.

This question has been asked in the past and as I recall, those that move here had expectations that Atlanta would solve all their problems. If you have money problems, or low skills to get a job etc - location to a large city is not an instant cure.

We have also seen many people realize they were never cut out for a large city or they were too far from family.

There have also been individuals that have done a poor job of finding their place in Atlanta - we have all types and you need to understand your own likes and dislikes and find the right area for you.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:07 PM

402 posts, read 701,708 times
This is thread is going to go well......

Old 07-12-2013, 01:13 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,197,631 times
It really depends on what you are looking for. I know some people with great jobs who don't like it here and people who don't make a lot of money but love it.

Atlanta is it's own thing and either you will like what Atlanta is or you won't regardless of how much money you make. Speaking only about the people I know, those who love it the most are married couples/families who want the big "McMansions" or those who move from smaller, other southern cities or foreign countries. For them Atlanta is the big city, whereas people I know who moved here with great jobs and without from places like LA, NYC, DC and Chicago, Atlanta isn't city enough for them. They found it to not be all that and left Atlanta feeling unimpressed.

I don't have a great paying job and have not been able to find a good job since the recession but I've never been a big fan. People always told me how great Atlanta was and I thought after many years of being here I'd grow to love it. As much as I tried, it just hasn't happened. Even if I made a six-figure income in Atlanta, I wouldn't want to stay here. Atlanta just isn't exciting enough for me and doesn't offer enough of what I want in a city. Don't get me wrong, there are some things I love about Atlanta, but it's just not enough for me.

But don't take other people's experiences as the rule. Come here and visit for yourself and come to your own conclusions. Plenty people move to Atlanta and love it. You may love it. If you have a great job, don't not take it because you fear you won't like it here. At least you'll make enough money that you'd be able to travel to other places while you get your "sea legs" here.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:24 PM

924 posts, read 1,450,696 times
I moved here out of college and I don't regret it. There are certainly other places I wouldn't mind moving to but I am happy here for now. It depends on what you are looking for and what you expect but coming here with a job already is certainly important so it is good you have the offer.

Old 07-12-2013, 01:37 PM

925 posts, read 1,328,531 times
Everything that Atlanta_BD said.

I guess it depends on the person, I worked in IT and made good money but I never liked Atlanta.

I think you really need to try an visit the city, you will get that feeling of "this place is pretty cool" or "this place is sorta crappy". If you are moving from a bigger/international/near coast city, you may be disapointed unless your importance of COL is higher.

Most places in Atl felt geared towards some demographic i did not fit in or imagine living my life in. Either ghetto (run down), former frat/sority, tea party, hipsters, unhealthy (ie obese), the whole area feels like country side, spagetti roads, etc Apologies to offending anyone...

Maybe 50% of people I know have moved or also disliked ATL (all professionals 50-150k). I've since moved on to SoCal and love it here

Old 07-12-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
It really depends on what you are looking for. I know some people with great jobs who don't like it here and people who don't make a lot of money but love it.

Atlanta is it's own thing and either you will like what Atlanta is or you won't regardless of how much money you make. Speaking only about the people I know, those who love it the most are married couples/families who want the big "McMansions" or those who move from smaller, other southern cities or foreign countries. For them Atlanta is the big city, whereas people I know who moved here with great jobs and without from places like LA, NYC, DC and Chicago, Atlanta isn't city enough for them. They found it to not be all that and left Atlanta feeling unimpressed.

I don't have a great paying job and have not been able to find a good job since the recession but I've never been a big fan. People always told me how great Atlanta was and I thought after many years of being here I'd grow to love it. As much as I tried, it just hasn't happened. Even if I made a six-figure income in Atlanta, I wouldn't want to stay here. Atlanta just isn't exciting enough for me and doesn't offer enough of what I want in a city. Don't get me wrong, there are some things I love about Atlanta, but it's just not enough for me.

But don't take other people's experiences as the rule. Come here and visit for yourself and come to your own conclusions. Plenty people move to Atlanta and love it. You may love it. If you have a great job, don't not take it because you fear you won't like it here. At least you'll make enough money that you'd be able to travel to other places while you get your "sea legs" here.
I just returned back from Atlanta, and I do have some trepidation about making it my home for a few years. But instead of just stating that it's a horrible small city, I decided to conduct my own research. I made a list of the various things that I enjoy doing, (i.e. visiting museums, exploring new trendy restaurants, running/jogging, hiking, yoga, and partaking in ballet classes).

As long as I'm able to partake in my preferred activities during non work hours, I'm pretty much happy. On a side note, I was very impressed with the real estate and relatively low taxes in parts of Atlanta and close in suburbs. I'd like to purchase a summer home near the beach in the Caribbean but of course I also want to own a main residence in the States. Since Atlanta homes are so affordable w/ relatively low taxes, I will be able to buy an affordable home in a close in suburb of Atlanta AND purchase a more expensive property in the Caribbean for future retirement and summer vacations.

Cutting my housing costs down will be a substantial benefit in both, the short and long run...

Old 07-12-2013, 01:44 PM

39 posts, read 58,768 times
Great question. I moved here from Fort Lauderdale. The first several years I lived here all I could think about was moving back to Florida, but now I find that Atlanta is home to me. I still enjoy Florida, but I've grown to like the change of seasons. The people in Atlanta are (for the most part) friendly and polite, and I've made some friends for life.

Once you learn where things are it's a good place for shopping. You can fly from here to anywhere and taking Marta to the airport is usually easy. I personally don't live in a big fancy house and in fact I recently downsized from a larger house to a townhouse and am enjoying the smaller space and less maintenance. So, I think Atlanta is what you make of it and, after all, no place is perfect. Course, a little sand and an ocean would still be nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta