U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 11:40 AM

4,044 posts, read 6,181,173 times

Advertisements

How real is the problem of DRUGS in the Walton High-School in East Cobb?

We are looking at the three "big" school districts, Walton, Pope and Lassiter and having read more than a few "red flag" posts about the problem of drugs in Walton, we have become quite concerned about buying a house in this district.

If drugs are indeed a real problem at Walton, how much LESS of a problem are they are Pope and Lassiter? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 11:57 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,065,346 times
I have absolutely no hard data on this question. Here's some anecdotal info and opinion.

My child is a junior at Lassiter and very straight-edged. She was commenting just recently that honestly, from conversation, she'd think practically every boy at school has dabbled in marijuana, at least. Doubtless this impression is exaggerated, but doubtless also, some of the Lassiter population is doing drugs.

We used to know a parent who pulled his high-schooler out of one of Atlanta's most prestigious private schools (I won't name it, because it wouldn't seem fair to single it out) and sent the kid to their local West Cobb public high school instead, purely because the parent was unhappy about the amount of drug exposure at the private school.

Conventional wisdom says that the drugs follow the money, in high schools. Any high school serving a relatively wealthy population is going to have a drug problem. I find this completely believable and I think it applies to both private and public schools. There were drugs around when I was in high school in the 1970s, and I suspect there have been drugs around in high schools ever since.

I've seen posts stating that Walton is slightly worse for drugs than Pope and Lassiter. This seems plausible, because the Walton demographic is a bit wealthier.

I wouldn't personally be put off Walton because of the drug issue, specifically. I think the key to having a drug-free teenager is to inculcate them with your values, not hope to keep them in a drug-free zone. The latter is just not possible, unless you home-school and never let the kid out of your sight.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:53 PM

6,475 posts, read 6,165,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
I have absolutely no hard data on this question. Here's some anecdotal info and opinion.

My child is a junior at Lassiter and very straight-edged. She was commenting just recently that honestly, from conversation, she'd think practically every boy at school has dabbled in marijuana, at least. Doubtless this impression is exaggerated, but doubtless also, some of the Lassiter population is doing drugs.

We used to know a parent who pulled his high-schooler out of one of Atlanta's most prestigious private schools (I won't name it, because it wouldn't seem fair to single it out) and sent the kid to their local West Cobb public high school instead, purely because the parent was unhappy about the amount of drug exposure at the private school.

Conventional wisdom says that the drugs follow the money, in high schools. Any high school serving a relatively wealthy population is going to have a drug problem. I find this completely believable and I think it applies to both private and public schools. There were drugs around when I was in high school in the 1970s, and I suspect there have been drugs around in high schools ever since.

I've seen posts stating that Walton is slightly worse for drugs than Pope and Lassiter. This seems plausible, because the Walton demographic is a bit wealthier.

I wouldn't personally be put off Walton because of the drug issue, specifically. I think the key to having a drug-free teenager is to inculcate them with your values, not hope to keep them in a drug-free zone. The latter is just not possible, unless you home-school and never let the kid out of your sight.
Completely right.

I wouldn't worry too much about the drugs. In my high school a lot of people dabbled in weed, but nothing more than that. I'm not advocating for this drug use, but it is nearly an inescapable fact of high school.

Every place with money will have some sort of drug/alcohol problem. The rational for the kids back in my high school (Minnesota), was "there is nothing else to do."

Old 03-22-2011, 01:20 PM

7,846 posts, read 14,854,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Completely right.

I wouldn't worry too much about the drugs. In my high school a lot of people dabbled in weed, but nothing more than that. I'm not advocating for this drug use, but it is nearly an inescapable fact of high school.

Every place with money will have some sort of drug/alcohol problem. The rational for the kids back in my high school (Minnesota), was "there is nothing else to do."
I think kids at every high school and college in the US and many parts of the world have tried or use drugs. I have two kids in high school and one in middle school, and all you can do is talk to them openly and honestly, and also look for the signs and know who they're hanging out with and where they go.

Parents have to be parents....there is no such thing as "it doesn't happen here" or "my neighborhood is too good" for drugs to be a problem.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:44 PM

29,262 posts, read 26,193,943 times
I remember when Cobb was considered safe.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:59 PM

7,846 posts, read 14,854,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I don't think it means Cobb isn't safe. There are drugs in the safest and richest communities in the country.

25 years ago, my sister was a high school teacher in Gwinnett County, when Gwinnett was very safe and low crime. Even back then, there were drugs in the schools, and not just the "bad kids" but the white kids from middle class families as well.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:01 PM

2,197 posts, read 3,517,022 times
Quote:
Wait, what? Those "Safe" schools are often the ones that you find the weed and X pills. Just because you dont see it on the news definitely doesnt mean it isnt there.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:08 PM

13,140 posts, read 20,709,679 times
I'm sure East Cobb is still "safe", as is North Fulton, Gwinnett etc. Too much money, not enough focus on what is really important = drug use by kids. Be an alert parent, and don't trust that your kids will police themselves and you will have little to worry about.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:20 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,438,186 times
Quote:
A little casual drug use has probably occurred at schools around the country for the past 40 or 50 years. Not sure how a little pot equates to unsafe, though?

FWIW, I knew a few kids who smoked pot in high school (78-81), but I neither partook nor think it had much impact on either of the successful suburban high schools I attended at the time. It just wasn't a big deal, just something which happened outside the "north door" from time to time...

We're not talking gangs or heroin here, right?

Old 03-22-2011, 02:33 PM

4,044 posts, read 6,181,173 times
OK, guys. I got it.

So the conclusion is:
Regardless of where you go, drugs will be in schools.
However, if you do the "values" thing, your kids should be fine.

Needless to say, our values are where they should be; so we are definitely doing everything we can on the "values" front.

However, sometimes I fear that this will simply be not enough and that an actual control of the environment will also be necessary. I may be a bit more paranoid than other people about this because I had one "drug" case in the family (in a different country, different culture, different times); and it was real enough to make it clear for me that keeping children away from drug-infested environments should be an absolute priority, higher than making it into Harvard, higher than anything else.

When and where I grew up, drugs simply did not exist. It was a communist, tightly controlled country at the time and if young people wanted to NOT cut their veins out of boredom, they had choices like reading books, getting together with friends and having real conversations (as opposed to numbing themselves into oblivion), you get the idea. And that's exactly what they were doing. No parent of ours had to ever worry about drugs (values or NO values)...until of course, the system changed, westernization happened and my brother fell victim to these evil creations.
I for one would get that dictator back in a second if I knew this meant I would never have to worry about my children getting into drugs.

We also cannot afford to do home-schooling, which I would do if I could.

It is very scary to me, personally, that my children's safety will depend on whether their developing and highly impressionable brain will get that "values" message from us or not. They may get it, they may not; and if not, THEN what?

One last question: what KIND of drugs?

Marijuana ... and what else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or