U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2011, 08:22 PM

6 posts, read 22,716 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have started to plan to build a new home in Buckhead. One of our main problems is should the master be on the first or second level?(the architect thinks we should go with main level!) I want it on the main level because I love how if the kids want to be noisy upstairs I do not have to hear it. On the other hand my wife believes that if we are downstairs the will stay up late and all that etc. My wife believes that our sons are too young for us to be on a different level. They are nine, seven, and five. Eventually though they are going to be teens. So would you go with main floor or second floor master and why? Growing up my parents room was on the main floor and my siblings and I loved it.
Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 09:52 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,255,186 times
If you plan to stay in this house forever you have to think about your ability to go up & down stairs as you age. You may be fine for now, but it would be smart to have a bedroom on the main floor just in case of illness or a broken leg, or aging parent. Try to make the stairs as easy to climb as possible-a lot of homes have super steep stairs and that causes accidents. If you locate your master bedroom downstairs, you can monitor your kids' attempts to sneak in & out of the house much better when they are teenagers. plus, you have 3 boys-save your sleep & sanity and put them upstairs! (no-they are not too young)

Old 03-23-2011, 10:39 PM

7,442 posts, read 9,578,062 times
A couple of years ago my parents moved and one of the problems we had was finding a master on on the main level in the particular area they wanted to be in. In a few areas, especially because of the aging baby boomer population a master on the main will resell better if they are not as common.

Now that isn't always true to all places, but it is sometimes.

If you decide you want your master on the second floor you might want to consider making a room on your main level, like an office, a touch bigger and with a closet. That way you can have a potential bedroom on the main level to grow into or use for resell value.

The benefit to having all of the bedrooms on the main level is privacy when you are entertaining. It isn't a big deal with the bedrooms are all tidy and they are kept private. Another issue people are increasingly not paying attention to these days.. it can help you with your power bill in a larger house and use less energy. You have an air handler for each floor. At night you don't heat or cool the main level as much, but focus on the bedroom level and during the day/evening you can do the opposite depending what schedule you have. Increasingly people have playrooms, hobby rooms, etc.. on the second floor and masters on the main.

Master on the main it is all about being able to grow old into the home and/or resell to more potential buyers later for that reason.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:09 PM

4,043 posts, read 7,051,949 times
Main floor.
More privacy for the parents, better for old age (if you plan to stay there).

Old 03-24-2011, 05:58 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,625,942 times
I like having bedrooms all on one floor with kids- when they smaller it was easier when they woke up in the middle of the night with nightmares or illness and with teeenagers, it makes it easier to keep track of what they're up to. Our current house has the master suite on one side of the house, divided by an office and the kids rooms/bathroom on the other end so there is quite a bit of privacy.

We have a guest suite on the first floor, at the opposite end of the house from the kitchen/family room. Even though I doubt we would stay in this house in our old age, it is nice to have that bed/bath on the first floor in case we have an illness/injury that would keep us from being able to go up stairs.

Not sure how master on main vs upstairs affects resale.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:09 AM

23,123 posts, read 40,578,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Master on the main it is all about being able to grow old into the home and/or resell to more potential buyers later for that reason.
Especially this.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:36 AM

124 posts, read 382,784 times
I think it depends on the neighborhood. We have friends who have a beautiful custom home for sale in a top school district that attracts primarily families with young children. Despite tons of viewings, there have been no offers, even though the house is priced very competitively. Their real estate agent told them the common complaint from prospective buyers is that the master is on the main floor. The families who have viewed the house all wanted the bedrooms on the same floor so they wouldn't be isolated from the children.

In my subdivision, the demographic skews much older and there are fewer families with children. My guess is that a master on main would actually be a selling point with the older families who live here. I think whether it is an asset or liability just depends on the type of buyer the neighborhood attracts.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:39 AM

183 posts, read 329,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
A couple of years ago my parents moved and one of the problems we had was finding a master on on the main level in the particular area they wanted to be in. In a few areas, especially because of the aging baby boomer population a master on the main will resell better if they are not as common.

Now that isn't always true to all places, but it is sometimes.

If you decide you want your master on the second floor you might want to consider making a room on your main level, like an office, a touch bigger and with a closet. That way you can have a potential bedroom on the main level to grow into or use for resell value.

I agree. We had the hardest time finding houses in this area that have a downstairs suite.

And since you're building probably a pretty large house, you'll eventually be reselling to a larger family WHICH may very likely have elderly parents living with them (or occasionally visiting). This is a trend in CA, but houses we've seen in GA don't seem to be geared for multi generations, just a single nuclear family...
But I agree with your wife as well. I think your 3 kids are too young to have upstairs by themselves....and it would be a pain in the butt to run up those stairs everytime they call for you kwim?
My 2 cents : Two master suites, one up (for now), and one downstairs for youself (when you get older maybe?) or guests. Since you're building from scatch, probably won't cost you much more....

Old 03-24-2011, 08:17 AM

426 posts, read 1,373,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamlym View Post
My 2 cents : Two master suites, one up (for now), and one downstairs for youself (when you get older maybe?) or guests. Since you're building from scatch, probably won't cost you much more....
AGREED! Or at least be sure to have a full bath and guest room downstairs. We have young children and I would NOT want them to be on another floor and it is nice when we have people over not to have to make sure the bedrooms are spotless for fear someone would accidentally wander in. But it is very difficult for my parents to stay with us because my mother has a tough time making it up the stairs to the full bath.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:28 AM

9,191 posts, read 32,416,562 times
It's already been said, but a master on the main with private bath sells better overall than one upstairs clumped with all other bedrooms. Repeating again even more - as you get older you'll appreciate it, or if you have older guests visiting, they can use that room while there and you could have a guest room upstairs, etc etc.

Regarding monitoring kids - there are plenty of video room monitors available now for not a lot of money. Sam's Club sells a couple as does Costco in store and on their web site. You can put cameras upstairs and it comes with a small LCD monitor you can put downstairs to keep an eye on the kids at night, etc. Once they're older, you can use the setup for security purposes in other areas of the house.

So my vote goes for "Master on main" (sorry Mom). And another vote goes towards having a home with a finished basement that has a guest room/bath in it, too. These can be used as teen or mother-in-law suites and are sought after by buyers. (plus make good storm shelters when the bad thunderstorm/tornado season is here).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta