Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 06:21 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Why? Chicago and the Twin Cities have a lot to offer. Does climate mean so much in a time of climate-controlled buildings?
It sucks for a person who wants to go out on a Friday night. They don't want to freeze walking from bar to bar, but they also don't want to sweat bullets while inside. If you do take off the huge jacket, you either have to carry it around on your arm or put it down and risk losing it.

It also sucks for someone who has a dog. Every time you walk it, you have to spend 10 minutes suiting up. What a hassle.

Also, I have heard it affects people's hygeine. One of my friends spent some time in Milwaukee and said the people looked greasy, like they hadn't showered in awhile. He thought it was because it was so cold, no one wanted to take off their jacket to shower.

I could never live in the Midwest, but I was born and raised here. I imagine it might be different for someone from there who doesn't know any better. That being said, I think it'd be much easier to be born in the north and get used to southern weather than the other way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 06:29 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
C'mon Neil, you're not seriously defending Michele Bachmann? I know you're a conservative, but that congresswoman has made numerous ignorant and absurd statements. She thinks global warming is a hoax, that homosexuality is a huge threat to the nation, that the president is anti-American and his trip to India cost ridiculously more than it did, that the Revolutionary War battles of Lexington and Concord took place in New Hampshire, etc. etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Global warming may not be a hoax, but it's certainly debatable what is causing it. By the way, in case you haven't caught on, it's much more progressive to label it "climate change"...

It's letting the homosexuals get married that's the problem. Besides the fact that it runs totally counter to thousands of years of Western culture, it's a very slippery slope. What comes after gay marriage? What if me and two other women want to get married - who says that isn't next?

But at this point, Bachman's social views are irrelevant. She is a fiscal hawk who wants to downsize (not just cut) the bloated monstrosity that is the federal government, which is exactly the type of mentality the next president needs to have if we are to avoid bankruptcy. Social issues will take a backseat in 2012.

He may not be anti-American, but he certainly isn't proud to be American, nor does he think the U.S. is unique or exceptional. It's just another country, like Canada or France.

It's more the principle than the cost. He has the fiscal responsibility of a ten-year old. The trip simply showcases that.

Come on now, you can do better than this. Aren't you getting her confused with Palin? Or is that the standard progressive response to any woman politician these days?
Just with regard to the bold parts ...

President G W Bush went abroad on state visits (e.g. Saudi Arabia, UK, Asia). Was this exhibiting "the fiscal responsibility of a ten year-old"? If not, what's the difference exactly between Bush's visits and Obama's?

That's pretty funny that you think it was Palin who made that error. I guess you have trouble telling one whacky Republican politician from another? Or perhaps you think because they're women they're all the same? Anyway, just google Bachmann Lexington Concord....

Old 04-04-2011, 06:52 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
It sucks for a person who wants to go out on a Friday night. They don't want to freeze walking from bar to bar, but they also don't want to sweat bullets while inside. If you do take off the huge jacket, you either have to carry it around on your arm or put it down and risk losing it.
In some downtowns, just use the skyway network. It's not like people are stupid enough to walk on the sidewalks during a cold winter. And BTW ... huge jackets are a thing of the past unless you're driving a snowmobile. Insulated jackets are much lighter now, and most of the time the temp isn't that much colder than the temps in Atlanta. I've seen it get to 11F here. You think I'm wearing a down jacket?

Quote:
It also sucks for someone who has a dog. Every time you walk it, you have to spend 10 minutes suiting up. What a hassle.
I put on a quilted flannel shirt and Thinsulate gloves. Maybe a hat if it's windy out.

Quote:
Also, I have heard it affects people's hygeine. One of my friends spent some time in Milwaukee and said the people looked greasy, like they hadn't showered in awhile. He thought it was because it was so cold, no one wanted to take off their jacket to shower.
Uh, sure.

Quote:
I could never live in the Midwest, but I was born and raised here. I imagine it might be different for someone from there who doesn't know any better. That being said, I think it'd be much easier to be born in the north and get used to southern weather than the other way around.
That may be true.

I might suggest, though, that rather than just speculate ... maybe you should take the time to check out some of your northern neighbors? It might be eye opening, and possibly not in the way you expect.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Just with regard to the bold parts ...

President G W Bush went abroad on state visits (e.g. Saudi Arabia, UK, Asia). Was this exhibiting "the fiscal responsibility of a ten year-old"? If not, what's the difference exactly between Bush's visits and Obama's?
President Bush? Seriously? Bush is one of the worst presidents in modern history. He entered office with a budget surplus of over $200 million and left with a $2 trillion deficit. He oversaw a completely unfunded expansion of Medicare. I could go on, but his fiscal irresponsibility is only second to Obama's.

Quote:
That's pretty funny that you think it was Palin who made that error. I guess you have trouble telling one whacky Republican politician from another? Or perhaps you think because they're women they're all the same? Anyway, just google Bachmann Lexington Concord....
No, I know she made the error, but I think it was pretty harmless. For progressives, all conservative women = stupid, so any slip-up is immediately pounced on.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
In some downtowns, just use the skyway network. It's not like people are stupid enough to walk on the sidewalks during a cold winter. And BTW ... huge jackets are a thing of the past unless you're driving a snowmobile. Insulated jackets are much lighter now, and most of the time the temp isn't that much colder than the temps in Atlanta. I've seen it get to 11F here. You think I'm wearing a down jacket?
I dunno, I guess I wouldn't want to live in a city where it's too cold to walk on the sidewalk.

Quote:
I might suggest, though, that rather than just speculate ... maybe you should take the time to check out some of your northern neighbors? It might be eye opening, and possibly not in the way you expect.
My parents are from Cleveland, and it snowed one time when I was visiting... for Easter... in April...

It's not just the cold though, it's also how long it lasts. I've lived in D.C. and that was bad enough.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:56 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,316,881 times
IMO, weather is one of the silliest reasons to prefer a metro over another. Unless one is clinically allergic to the weather they are in.

MN has some of the highest concentrations of Fortune 500 cos.

People (me included) make all kinds of bad decisions. In finance, they talk about people buying at a high, selling at a low. In choosing a city, they might give too much importance to the weather. Sometimes I wonder when people say that we have a problem in in that "the rich are getting richer" -- is it because they make better decisions?!

Old 04-05-2011, 05:51 AM

88 posts, read 198,924 times
Quote:
I dunno, I guess I wouldn't want to live in a city where it's too cold to walk on the sidewalk.

My parents are from Cleveland, and it snowed one time when I was visiting... for Easter... in April...

It's not just the cold though, it's also how long it lasts. I've lived in D.C. and that was bad enough.

In some cases the opposite is true. Walking around in a suit in the middle of July in Atlanta is not fun either. The humidity will have you soaked within 10 minutes. Just my opinion I agree the weather in Cleveland is some of the worst in the country. Mostly because the sun makes rare appearances during the winter months. Cold is much more tollerable if the sun is shining.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:54 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times
Quote:
LOL!!!!

Seriously, we don't live in igloos up here in the Northern states. Why would one have their jacket on in the house? Also, we have furnaces now. Yep, that's right, the pony express delivered the first ones a couple of months ago. You know what that means? It means that our homes are centrally heated and can actually remain at (gasp!) a steady, warm temperature...around the clock!

Okay, sarcasm aside...seriously? People in Milwaukee looked "greasy, like they hadn't showered in a while" and "He thought it was because it was so cold, no one wanted to take their jackets off to shower"? I will be laughing about this one all day long.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:28 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,921 times
Quote:

I have lived in warm and cold climes, and maybe moving from a cold to a warm again. Lived in Milwaukee (grew up there), and people definitely take showers year round...that is too hilarious, too cold to take your jacket off. I guess, if I was showering in my backyard in January. Not sure where your friend stayed...oh, and I had a dog as a child, I loved walking him in the dead of winter at night. It is the most peaceful walk you could ever have, it is kind of amazing.

When I was single at bars, I wore a light jacket, if I wore one at all, because, yes, going to bars in a winter coat is a pain. But, if I had one I hung it on my chair, or we found a place to stack our coats together. Cabs are a good option in Chicago, that's the way to go in winter...but frequently bars are located close to each other that offer quick options.

Hey, I get that it is a huge change to live in a cold area, some like it, some don't, and some just don't care one way or another. My biggest concern with ATL, which is our potential destination, is the middle of summer, so we are visiting at that time this year to check it out.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacnwbound View Post
In some cases the opposite is true. Walking around in a suit in the middle of July in Atlanta is not fun either. The humidity will have you soaked within 10 minutes. Just my opinion I agree the weather in Cleveland is some of the worst in the country. Mostly because the sun makes rare appearances during the winter months. Cold is much more tollerable if the sun is shining.
Yeah, that's definitely true about Atlanta in July. I used to to be really annoyed by the instant sweating the minute I walked outside, especially when I had just taken a shower. But now I've basically accepted the fact that I'm going to look sweaty after coming in from outside. The key to making it through that month is to keep your hair short, get a light-weight suit and discover the wonders of drip-drying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta