U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 07:54 AM

864 posts, read 360,527 times
Default Why do people keep coming here?!?!

Our uneoyment here is over 10%. Why are there so many " moving to Atlanta threads"? Where are the jobs? We need to balance out our jobs vs people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 08:44 AM

1,667 posts, read 1,430,553 times
There's nothing we can do about it

Old 03-29-2011, 08:45 AM

969 posts, read 1,031,231 times
I got a job and moved here about a year ago. Then, after a couple of months, I got a new job which is where I am at now... it's not bad for everyone.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:48 AM

1,301 posts, read 1,178,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
Our uneoyment here is over 10%. Why are there so many " moving to Atlanta threads"? Where are the jobs? We need to balance out our jobs vs people.
Thats a question I ask myself daily as I sit in the horrendous traffic during my morning commute!

Old 03-29-2011, 08:57 AM

1,667 posts, read 1,430,553 times
I keep getting emails from nordstroms.. they have a opening for a visual merchandisor management position

Old 03-29-2011, 09:09 AM

1,942 posts, read 2,216,270 times
Exactly it is not bad for all....Only really non skilled workers could be out of work, but many with PHD's are too...

Old 03-29-2011, 09:13 AM

7,652 posts, read 9,579,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
Many times a company will move a division or an HQ office to the Atlanta area. Those jobs are not net new, but are moving from another part of the country to this area. They would not exist here in the area if it weren't for the move.

When I came to Atlanta, I was able to choose anywhere I wanted to live on the US east coast. My job wasn't changing, only where I wanted to live.

I would argue that people relocating here who already have jobs are adding to the economy. They are buying up housing inventory and adding to the tax base at every level. What we need are EMPLOYED people moving here, not those who are unemployed, unless they have skills that are in demand here.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:20 AM

2,815 posts, read 2,316,300 times
Ultimately, corporate America is still shuffling around workers and resources to its advantage (minimizing costs). More times than not, that means shifting resources away from places like the northeast and California and towards places like Georgia and Texas.

Often, these are specialized skills they are trying to source to their operations in these southern cities, and finding the skills on the local market can be difficult, or costly. (Unemployment is 10% overall, but in a certain specialized field it might be more like a 2% unemployment rate.)

Which means you might have a lot of people relocating here for work, while at the same time tons of people here can't find work. It's juss that the skill sets for unemployed people at the moment are different from those that employers are seeking (and willing to relocate people for).

Old 03-29-2011, 09:31 AM

864 posts, read 360,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Many times a company will move a division or an HQ office to the Atlanta area. Those jobs are not net new, but are moving from another part of the country to this area. They would not exist here in the area if it weren't for the move.

When I came to Atlanta, I was able to choose anywhere I wanted to live on the US east coast. My job wasn't changing, only where I wanted to live.

I would argue that people relocating here who already have jobs are adding to the economy. They are buying up housing inventory and adding to the tax base at every level. What we need are EMPLOYED people moving here, not those who are unemployed, unless they have skills that are in demand here.
Why did you choose here? Was it the costs?

Old 03-29-2011, 09:51 AM

876 posts, read 1,107,718 times
I was thinking in some cases workers with specialized skills are still moving to Atlanta despite the slowdown of the economy. Others, who are more entry level or more generalized in skill sets are mostly staying put where they live until things pick up, which from industry to industry varies greatly. From sector to sector, the outlook is very uneven: some hiring is picking up in IT in Atlanta, where as education public school teaching positions are still relatively hard to come by.

From what I see in the metro, it doesn't look like people are moving around as much, but of course, that observation is purely anecdotal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta