Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best private school in Gwinnett/North Fulton?
GAC- Greater Atlanta Christian 2 25.00%
Wesleyan 2 25.00%
Woodward North 4 50.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 692 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
Deciding on two of these three for my rising 7th grader. Have interviewed and attended two of the three as well.
Wondering where you chose, and if you are happy with your decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 03:11 PM

2,307 posts, read 2,995,264 times
The original poster hasn't posted since 2011. You're more likely to get a response from others if you make a new thread and ask your question there.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:30 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,362,007 times
Not being critical, cynical, or negative, or trying to be mean in anyway, but how did you know that your child was gifted before he entered kindergarten. My kindergartener did test into the gifted program earlier this year, and I, as a long-term gifted educator myself, feel a little skeptical. He did master sight words and learn to read well and fast, and well ahead of the rest of his class, but how do I know that they are not confusing an merely an early reader with a gifted student? This pondering has paralyzed me: I am uncertain of how to proceed.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:15 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Not being critical, cynical, or negative, or trying to be mean in anyway, but how did you know that your child was gifted before he entered kindergarten. My kindergartener did test into the gifted program earlier this year, and I, as a long-term gifted educator myself, feel a little skeptical. He did master sight words and learn to read well and fast, and well ahead of the rest of his class, but how do I know that they are not confusing an merely an early reader with a gifted student? This pondering has paralyzed me: I am uncertain of how to proceed.
CWG, your dilemma reminds me of Lake Woebegon, "where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average."

Old 01-15-2017, 09:25 AM

2,307 posts, read 2,995,264 times
Quote:
I hope you're being sarcastic, CWG. It's a win-win. Either way, your child is getting some enrichment. No need to stress.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:49 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,362,007 times
Not being sarcastic. After being a gifted content area (English and social studies for me) for many years in the elementary school, I have noticed that students that have an early in to the gifted program (kindergarten/ first grade) do get the usual enrichment (we have a TAG model where the gifted are in a self-contained class with other high achievers) but sometimes miss some foundation knowledge that we have to "fill-in" in the later grades. I will probably keep my son out of the TAG class until second grade for this reason.

Old 01-17-2017, 04:09 PM

761 posts, read 907,514 times
Quote:
Not being sarcastic. After being a gifted content area (English and social studies for me) for many years in the elementary school, I have noticed that students that have an early in to the gifted program (kindergarten/ first grade) do get the usual enrichment (we have a TAG model where the gifted are in a self-contained class with other high achievers) but sometimes miss some foundation knowledge that we have to "fill-in" in the later grades. I will probably keep my son out of the TAG class until second grade for this reason.
That is great news that your kid tested into gifted. That will open up a lot of enrichment opportunities. I've always wondered how accurate IQ / gifted testing is for a kindergartener since IQ isn't truly set until 16, and there tends to be a regression to the mean.

Last edited by PTC Dad; 01-17-2017 at 04:36 PM..

Old 01-17-2017, 04:18 PM

761 posts, read 907,514 times
I think you have 3 very good choices. I think Woodward rates the highest of the schools you are looking at, but you'd have to eventually transfer to main campus in CP. I'd pick between Wesleyan or GAC, and I'd prefer Wesleyan myself. It's a beautiful campus and has outstanding athletics and academics.

https://k12.niche.com/rankings/priva...ta-metro-area/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta