Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 04:04 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,373,576 times

Advertisements

Uhm since when does a style of music determine anything? Atlanta is black dominated in all levels of goverment, or did you conveniently forget that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 08:44 AM

102 posts, read 382,331 times
LMAO! Hip Hop is by far the biggest genre in Atlanta. You are kidding yourselves not wanting to believe that. Several of TODAY's biggest artist are from here, like Cee-Lo. And if not from here they moved here, like most of Cash Money/Young Money, Keyshia Cole, and many others. Compton was NEVER the capital of Hip-Hop, New York was.

Atlanta is still dropped in many hip hop songs. Most people don't even know where Wiz Khalifa is from and outside of Black and Yellow he has no other huge hits so don't see the point in bringing his name up. But I will tell you that huge artist like Nicki Minaj, Drake, etc have ties to Atlanta and the city has played a part in their success.

But I'm done with this topic because clearly you guys just don't want to see the evidence or just know nothing about Rap/R&B

Old 04-08-2011, 10:24 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Atlanta is also known for having a world class symphony. Let's not forget that.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:37 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I would have to think Gwinnett County has been leading the charge. It's quite amazing how diverse (and huge) the population has become there.

Gwinnett County is my favorite county in metro Atlanta.

Having a hub airport helps, but I think that the 1996 Summer Olympics raised Atlanta's profile and put it on the international map, and that's how it became as diverse as it did.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:49 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeahitsme View Post
Most people don't even know where Wiz Khalifa is from...
That's because most people are stupid. "Black And Yellow" is about where he's from: "reppin' my town / when you see me you know everything / black and yellow..."

Yeah, he raps a bit about his car and his diamonds, but the color scheme of both is the color scheme of his city and the sports teams therein, and that's the whole point. He alludes to this during every chorus: "I put it down from my whip to my diamonds / I'm in black and yellow..." And this song spent one week at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100, which makes it even more incredulous that people haven't figured out where he's from.

By the way, I've never seen a song remixed so many times in such a short period of time as "Black And Yellow" was this past fall and winter. Clearly the song resonated with enough people that they all started making remixes about their own cities and/or sports teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeahitsme View Post
...and outside of Black and Yellow he has no other huge hits so don't see the point in bringing his name up.
Not yet. His album dropped not even three weeks ago. "Black And Yellow" was released six months in advance of the album, and could have been the breakthrough hit he needed to get both his name and his city on the map.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:49 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
It's not that Atlanta and the media sought to make the city unappealing to non-Hispanic whites, but rather specifically targeted only black migration. Thus, in the process, it discouraged non-blacks (non-Hispnanic whites, white Hispanics, non-white Hispanics, Asians) from migrating here by simply ignoring/excluding them.

Think of it as a commercial. If you only show a product being used by a specific minority group, then other minorities and the majority will infer the product is not being marketed to them. There's a reason why white people with brown eyes and brown hair that could pass as white or Hispanic are very sought after for commercials--they cover the largest grouping (non-Hispanic whites + all Hispanics).

It's not a conspiracy theory. In fact, it was pretty blatant throughout the 2000s, the best example being none other than the city's marketing campaign: "Where Everyday is an Opening Day." Who exactly was the city trying to market itself to when its musical theme is a rap song called "the ATL"?

Oh really? "the city has embraced it"? Who exactly does "the city" refer to? I am a resident of Atlanta, and I certainly would not embrace my city's image being cemented as hip hop.

In other words: we want the future of this city to be dominated by hip hop culture, and if you're not a fan of what that has come to represent, we don't care.

Re-Branding the City of Atlanta : NPR
Firstly, Dallas Austin is an R&B producer, not a hip hop producer, and is actually more of a pop R&B producer. He's done production for the likes of Gwen Stefani and Duran Duran, among others. While there's an association of R&B with hip hop, there's a strong pop association as well. Even so, it's not like White people don't like hip hop. They're the biggest consumers of the genre. Seems to me that while race is involved, there's a stronger generational issue at play also.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:59 AM

876 posts, read 2,277,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Gwinnett County is my favorite county in metro Atlanta.

Having a hub airport helps, but I think that the 1996 Summer Olympics raised Atlanta's profile and put it on the international map, and that's how it became as diverse as it did.
Yea, Atlanta area and Georgia for that matter have grown quite diverse. It is very interesting to witness the demographic changes within 20 years or so.

For business reasons and personal ones, I am out in Gwinnett often, but even so, I didn't think the county was quite as diverse as the maps showed.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:26 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,169 times
I think some posters here are vastly overestimating the impact of marketing on people's decision about where to move, and more specifically the level of knowledge that most "non-Hispanic whites" can claim about the hip-hop industry.

I'm probably fairly typical of the kind of "non-Hispanic white" that some "non-Hispanic white" posters on the board would like to see relocate to Atlanta: fortysomething, professional, six-figure income, married, heterosexual, and did I mention white? Yeah, I'm really white -- blond hair, green eyes, can't even get much of a tan.

Not only is any concern about hip-hop music not on my list of factors to consider in moving to Atlanta...ya'll are going to be real disappointed...I'm so white I didn't even know Atlanta was a "hip-hop Mecca." That shouldn't really be surprising because, as a non-Hispanic white in good standing, I know almost nothing about hip-hop!

When researching a city -- along with, you know, actually visiting the city and falling in love with it -- white folks like me are likely to visit definitive sources such as Wikipedia, where we learn stuff like this:

Quote:
Atlanta is home to a thriving entertainment and performing arts industry. In 2010, American Style Magazine ranked Atlanta as the ninth-best city for the arts.[60]

The classical music scene in the metropolitan Atlanta area includes the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, Atlanta Opera, Atlanta Ballet, Gwinnett Ballet Theatre, Atlanta Baroque Orchestra, New Trinity Baroque, the Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra, Georgia Boy Choir and the Atlanta Boy Choir. Classical musicians have included renowned conductors Robert Shaw and the Atlanta Symphony's Robert Spano.

The Fox Theatre is an historic landmark and one of the highest grossing venues in the world. The city also has a large collection of highly successful music venues of various sizes that host top and emerging touring acts. Popular local venues include the Tabernacle, the Variety Playhouse, The Masquerade, The Star Community Bar and the EARL.

Atlanta home to many significant art museums. The renowned High Museum of Art is arguably the South's leading art museum and among the most-visited art museums in the world.[61] The Museum of Design Atlanta (MODA), a design museum, is the only such museum in the Southeast.[62]. Contemporary art museums include the Atlanta Contemporary Art Center and the Museum of Contemporary Art of Georgia. Atlanta's Michael C. Carlos Museum contains the largest collection of ancient art in the Southeast.[63]

The city contains a flourishing theater community. Major Theater groups include the Tony award winning Alliance Theater (part of the Woodruff Arts Center), The internationally known Center for Puppetry Arts, Theatrical Outfit, Seven Stages Theater, The Horizon Theater Company, improv group Dad's Garage, Actor's Express, the Shakespeare Tavern, and the suburban Theatre in the Square in Marietta.

Atlanta is also a major hub for the marching arts. The city is home of Spirit Drum and Bugle Corps, who competes in Drum Corps International, and both Alliance Drum and Bugle Corps and the CorpsVets Drum and Bugle Corps, both of which participate in the Drum Corps Associates circuit.

Atlanta is the home of major recording studios/companies such as So So Def Recordings, Grand Hustle Records, BME Recordings, Block Entertainment, Konvict Muzik, 1017 Brick Squad.
Don't worry: Us "non-Hispanic whites" have already seen enough to like that the last sentence, with references to imponderables like "So So Def" and "Konvict" are somewhat unlikely to phase us, even if our whiteness doesn't cause it to sail safely over the very straight hairs on our fair-skinned heads.

Really, it's gonna be okay.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:48 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,106,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
I think some posters here are vastly overestimating the impact of marketing on people's decision about where to move, and more specifically the level of knowledge that most "non-Hispanic whites" can claim about the hip-hop industry.
The point is more about the goal of the marketing campaign, rather than its effects.
Quote:
I'm probably fairly typical of the kind of "non-Hispanic white" that some "non-Hispanic white" posters on the board would like to see relocate to Atlanta: fortysomething, professional, six-figure income, married, heterosexual, and did I mention white? Yeah, I'm really white -- blond hair, green eyes, can't even get much of a tan.

Not only is any concern about hip-hop music not on my list of factors to consider in moving to Atlanta...ya'll are going to be real disappointed...I'm so white I didn't even know Atlanta was a "hip-hop Mecca." That shouldn't really be surprising because, as a non-Hispanic white in good standing, I know almost nothing about hip-hop!
No offense, but you're old. Go talk to some 20-somethings and see what image Atlanta tends to invoke in Gen-Y pop culture thanks to 2000s rap music.

Quote:
When researching a city -- along with, you know, actually visiting the city and falling in love with it -- white folks like me are likely to visit definitive sources such as Wikipedia, where we learn stuff like this:
Good. I'm glad the Wikipedia page details the reality instead of the romanticized fantasy of an Atlanta dominated by hip hop culture that Mayor Franklin and other posters would prefer.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:19 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,265,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
The point is more about the goal of the marketing campaign, rather than its effects.
Really? You wrote:

Quote:
It's not so much people leaving that's a problem. It's that the growth in non-Hispanic white people from 2000-2010 was very small, both compared to white growth in places like Houston and Dallas during the same decade and compared to white growth in Atlanta in the 80s and 90s.

I don't think it's a coincidence that around 2000 the media and the city began ignoring non-black Atlantans. No other city in America had done this before. Not only is it exclusive and divisive, but it also discouraged people and corporations that didn't fit the 2000s Atlanta stereotype from moving here.
The point seems very much to be about the effects of the marketing campaign, specifically "that it also discouraged people and corporations that didn't fit the 2000s Atlanta stereotype from moving here."

Quote:
No offense, but you're old. Go talk to some 20-somethings and see what image Atlanta tends to invoke in Gen-Y pop culture thanks to 2000s rap music.
I prefer "seasoned." And I have it on good authority that twentysomethings -- even the white ones! -- like hip-hop, and thus would even be less likely to be "discouraged" than oldsters like me. Indeed, they might even find it appealing. Hey, maybe they were the target audience of the marketing campaign?

Either way, I really don't think you have to worry. The more generationally mature "non-Hispanic whites" aren't likely to know any better, and the fresher ones might actually like it.

I'm telling you, you're all worked up for nothing. I'm confident Atlanta will prove attractive to white folks of all vintages for years to come!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta