Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 07:38 PM

876 posts, read 2,278,549 times

Advertisements

The maps show just how diverse the entire region has become over the past 2 decades or so.

I think Macon may become part of the MSA (Atlanta) in time, not sure about Chattanooga, but definitely all the way to the Alabama border to the West, no doubt. I had wondered if they may include some areas that border Alabama to be part of the MSA. They are closer than Macon is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 10:31 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
I think I might be in the minority, but I don't think that the MSA boundaries will change all that much.

The reason is that when you combine the population Fulton, Gwinnett, Cobb, Dekalb, and Clayton (the true core of Metro Atlanta) has 3,365,297 people or 59.89% of the CSA population and 63.87% of the MSA population. When you add the rest of the MSA counties, the amount of population in the currently defined CSA population residing in the MSA is about 94%.

Once you get out side the core five counties of Metro Atlanta, the majority of the development straddles the radiating highways. With that type of development, the impact is more regional than local. Because of that, I don't think it's out of the question that the CSA will expand.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:50 AM

177 posts, read 458,241 times
I definitely think that Hall county will become part of the Atlanta MSA. Unless I was misinformed, a county must have at least 25% of the workforce commuting to the adjacent MSA in order to be included in that MSA. I'd bet that a large percentage of the Flowery Branch and Oakwood residents commute to work in Gwinnett, north Fulton, or even further into the Atlanta metro. The new MSA boundaries should be determined in 2013, so we can find out at that time.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:03 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
After many failed starts, and issues related to the crappy user interface of the Census Bureau's FactFinder2 website, I have compiled all of the "official" demographic data from the 2010 Census Redistricting file.

While I am posting this for the sole purpose of providing the data in an easy to digest form for those interested in "what" makes up Metro Atlanta's population, feel free to comment on any of the specifics but please leave any boneheaded political/racial/xenophobic/childish comments out of this thread. If you feel the undeniable desire to do so, either keep it to your self or create your own thread. Let's keep this one civil.

With that said, here we go!

Total Metropolitan Atlanta Population as April 1st, 2010

Numerical change since April 1st, 2000: +1,070,087
Percentage change since April 1st, 2000: +23.527%

Population By Race/Ethnicity numerically and by percentage

White - 2,895,372 - 51.53%
Black - 1,740,955 - 30.98%
Latino - 602,485 - 10.72%
Asian - 257,305 - 4.57%
Multi-racial (aka Two or more races) - 94,543 - 1.68%
"Other" - 14,161 -0.25%
Native American - 11,431 - 0.20%
Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander - 2179 - 0.03%

Note: Barring some sort of unforseen reversal of overall demographic trends in the United States, this will be last Census in which Metro Atlanta will have a single majority (more than 49.99% of the population) "race" or ethnicity.

Just want to say again...

Love this! Thanks...I could look at this all day!

Old 04-02-2011, 07:03 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Just want to say again...

Love this! Thanks...I could look at this all day!
Even more amazing is if you look at the change over the course of the last 30 years:

Despite how someone attempted to derail the thread with charges of some sort of bias on my part against a certain group of people, it is without a doubt just absolute ground shaking how diverse Metro Atlanta and the region as a whole has become.

This isn't said without any malice or ill intent. Nor is it said to triumph over any particular group. Atlanta has become major, thriving, metropolis due to all peoples white, black, asian, latino, purple with pink polka dots. To ignore what has happened in the last few decades is nothing short of sticking your head in the ground.

We went from this:

Atlanta 1980

To this:

Atlanta 2010

In less than my life time.

That ranks as being newsworthy in my book.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:37 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Even more amazing is if you look at the change over the course of the last 30 years:

Despite how someone attempted to derail the thread with charges of some sort of bias on my part against a certain group of people, it is without a doubt just absolute ground shaking how diverse Metro Atlanta and the region as a whole has become.

This isn't said without any malice or ill intent. Nor is it said to triumph over any particular group. Atlanta has become major, thriving, metropolis due to all peoples white, black, asian, latino, purple with pink polka dots. To ignore what has happened in the last few decades is nothing short of sticking your head in the ground.

We went from this:

Atlanta 1980

To this:

Atlanta 2010

(see highlights above)

Indeed!

Old 04-04-2011, 08:07 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
I would have to think Gwinnett County has been leading the charge. It's quite amazing how diverse (and huge) the population has become there.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:53 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,871 times
Quote:

We went from this:

Atlanta 1980

To this:

Atlanta 2010

Atlanta's changes from 1980 to 2010 are certianly newsworthy, but that wasn't what your original note was about. It was about Atlanta in 2020, which is not news but pure speculation, anticipation, and desire.

I wasn't saying you have bias against whites, per se. It's moreso that in your perfect world, whites are the minority, and there is no such thing as Hispanic whites. "Diverse" is the word you use to describe this ideal demographic balance.

Of course, this is only what I infer from your statements, so feel free to correct me if I am wrong...

Also, curious as to your opinion: can Hispanics be white?

Old 04-04-2011, 05:56 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Atlanta's changes from 1980 to 2010 are certianly newsworthy, but that wasn't what your original note was about. It was about Atlanta in 2020, which is not news but pure speculation, anticipation, and desire.

I wasn't saying you have bias against whites, per se. It's moreso that in your perfect world, whites are the minority, and there is no such thing as Hispanic whites. "Diverse" is the word you use to describe this ideal demographic balance.
Face it, whites have had their day. Time to get out the way and let somebody else destroy the world for a while.

Frankly, minority status can come none too soon as far as I'm concerned. I've got maybe 20 years left if the machinery holds up and I have yet to receive one check, grant, voucher, set-aside, scholarship, subsidy, food stamp card, reduced cost meal, medical benefit, pension, or other payment from the government. I stand ready to receive reimbursement for a lifetime of not being reimbursed.

And may my knew majority brothers and sisters freely open their wallets. We're going to need at least 4 bedrooms and in this town that's going to run y'all a minimum of $2,800 a month. While you're at it I'd prefer to be appointed a chaplain or head of some agency so that I can supplement our lifestyle appropriately. Let the generosity of spirit roll from your hearts, and know that I am grateful.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:35 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,218,321 times
Quote:

We went from this:

Atlanta 1980

To this:

Atlanta 2010

Yes, it is quite a shocker to someone unfamiliar with the 1965 Immigration & Naturalization Act, as well as global forces designed to destroy all white homelands.

In my opinion, it's sad.

We're almost at the tipping point.

Here is what I see, unless things reverse course fast.

1) Whites will begin to leave the region in droves. There will be fewer whites in ten years than there are now. In the very least, no gain will be made.

2) Gwinnett County, outside of the far northeast section will either be black, Mexican, or Asian. Only the area from northern Suwannee northward to Dacula will have a majority white population, and that's not guaranteed.

3) All of South Cobb, outside of the Smynings/East West Connector/Vinings Village area will look like South Dekalb.

4) Rockdale County will be another South Dekalb.

5) Henry County will be another Clayton County, outside of the Ula area along Highway 20.

6) Fayette County will see Clayton Countyification, as the barrier begins to fall. With an army at the metaphorical gates, and trends of nearby counties changing, not much can be done. Peachtree City, Brooks, and Starrs Mill will hold on for another twenty years.

7) Whites from Henry and Fayette counties will either leave the region, move to the extreme northside (Cherokee, Bartow, Forsyth), or they will move to Coweta County, the only southside county that seems to have favorable trends for whites in the entire southern half of metro Atlanta.

8) Newton County, so young in its newfound suburban status, will say, "it was over before it truly got started".

9) Forsyth County and Cherokee County will likely pass further legislation to rid the county of its unwanted illegal residents. Both counties will see a large influx of white residents from locations farther south, and both will likely see their "hispanic" populations decrease, fleeing to either Cobb or Gwinnett. The white population percentage will likely slightly increase.

10) Bartow County will racially be roughly the same, as whites flee to the area, but of which a roughly equal population of blacks, of a percentage roughly equal to the current percentage, will find their way to the county.

11) South Paulding will change into the way places like Powder Springs are today. North Paulding will see a greater white population influx. Overall, the white percentage of Paulding will likely fall, but not as much as some neighboring counties.

12) Douglas County will likely change into something more like South Cobb of today. It's almost there as it is, but change doesn't come as quickly to this county that is more conservative in their development outlook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta