Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 01:29 PM

705 posts, read 1,110,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
I don't get why we as Americans throw this word around so much. Its a horrible stereotyping word that should not be used all willy-nilly to explain somewhere we don't like. And for people to use this word to describe Clayton County than you truly do not know what ghetto is. I lived in the Ghetto in Charlotte NC thru the 90's before gentrification hit the city. Clayco is no where near ghetto.

A ghetto is an overcrowded urban area often associated with a specific ethnic or racial population. This is the modern definition of a Ghetto. Not what Clayton County is. You can call it undesirable you can call it high crime but ghetto it is not.
Maybe 'hood would be a better descriptive of many areas in Clayton County. It certainly is not what it was 20 or 30 years ago. But no city is anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 09:15 PM

567 posts, read 889,846 times
Just say it...There are black people that live in Clayton County and all of the are hood. Point blank simple. Stop beating around the bush and say what you want to say.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:27 AM

48 posts, read 141,578 times
Do you at least sometimes see a white person working there or going through Clayton county? Tourists?

I´m quite furious that we white people leave our communities like that. You know, if people will continue to segregate themselves it´s gonna end up pretty bad. If you look in a demographical map, the ATL metro area is prette segregated - and that means that whites tend to go only to certain areas, blacks as well. Think about it. Wouln´t it be great if there were no majority white/black areas, so you could feel good everywhere? If whites and black lived all together on one street? There are more and more people, America is only one. We can´t segregate forever. We must unite!!

Old 09-23-2011, 06:17 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank.O´Hara View Post
Do you at least sometimes see a white person working there or going through Clayton county? Tourists?

I´m quite furious that we white people leave our communities like that. You know, if people will continue to segregate themselves it´s gonna end up pretty bad. If you look in a demographical map, the ATL metro area is prette segregated - and that means that whites tend to go only to certain areas, blacks as well. Think about it. Wouln´t it be great if there were no majority white/black areas, so you could feel good everywhere? If whites and black lived all together on one street? There are more and more people, America is only one. We can´t segregate forever. We must unite!!

Old 09-23-2011, 07:44 AM

705 posts, read 1,110,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listennow32 View Post
Just say it...There are black people that live in Clayton County and all of the are hood. Point blank simple. Stop beating around the bush and say what you want to say.

Yes there are black people that live in Clayton County. What's your point.

There are good neighborhoods and bad neighborhoods all over this country. There are black people in both types of neighborhoods, as well as other ethinc groups also. It is how these folks behave that defines the respective neighborhood as a 'hood or not. Get the chip off your shoulder already.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:13 AM

538 posts, read 926,064 times
Quote:

Just curious....what part of town do you live in?

Old 09-23-2011, 10:22 AM

567 posts, read 889,846 times
My point is you guys are saying its a bad area, don't even live there, probably rely on the whack reporting of the AJC to get your information, and then you judge an entire area based on the racial group that lives there. I'm not saying that there aren't unscrupulous characters that reside there. However, the population of the hard working normal people outweighs the former. Clayton is not as a high income as say north fulton or cobb, but it definitely is not ghetto or hood. And yes Frank, White people live in Clayton as do, Black, Asian, Latino, and any other race... this debate is really getting old.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:17 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
Just curious....what part of town do you live in?
LOL I was wondering the same thing.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:19 AM

48 posts, read 141,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
LOL I was wondering the same thing.
Don´t laugh but I live in Europe! In a small town which is like 98 % white. I´m gonna move to the states in a near future and I´m just making observations... reading this forum often and using google street view.

Anyway, my english can´t be so bad if you thought I actually live in ATL, lol :-)

Old 09-24-2011, 09:02 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,218,321 times
Quote:
Don´t laugh but I live in Europe! In a small town which is like 98 % white. I´m gonna move to the states in a near future and I´m just making observations... reading this forum often and using google street view.

Anyway, my english can´t be so bad if you thought I actually live in ATL, lol :-)
Frank, I mean no disrespect, I seriously don't. I only wish you the best. However, when people like superscooby or northwinds say certain things about certain communities, they're only doing so to be honest, not to sugarcoat things. Making light of certain situations benefits no one.

I can tell that you come from an overwhelmingly white area, such as much of Europe (as it should be. After all, Europe is the white homeland), given your almost utopian ideals of people living together side-by-side, in harmony. While things are better today than they were years ago, people groups have a different sub-culture, even within the dominant culture. We're also hard-wired to prefer the company of those like us. This doesn't take into account the various differences among the different demographic groups. In general, some of these characteristics some people value, while others disapprove of. As a result, all of this leads people to seek out locations and people like their own.

In general, those who are the biggest proponents of diversity are those who have the least familiarity with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta