Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 11:03 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Douglas was never great to begin with.Clayton never was either.It was always the lagger of the bunch in the metro area
I agree with both of those statements. The only difference is that they are both going from white to black at a very fast pace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 11:33 AM

840 posts, read 2,086,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
I agree with both of those statements. The only difference is that they are both going from white to black at a very fast pace.

And thats not a bad thing. As long as people stay and fight for their neighborhoods, city, counties, and communities than things won't change for the bad. Its the people that leave and don't fight for what they love that make me the sickest, moreso than the people that are moving in.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:38 AM

152 posts, read 525,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
I don't know if I've ever seen a place change as much and as fast as Clayton. How many people would believe that Clayton was 91% white in 1980?

Old 03-31-2011, 12:42 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,534,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettk View Post
I don't know if I've ever seen a place change as much and as fast as Clayton. How many people would believe that Clayton was 91% white in 1980?

Old 03-31-2011, 02:30 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Oh come on...you're better than that. "Uppity white people?"

I think we've all seen Clayton County at work. The School Board, the former Sheriff Victor Hill, the dysfunctional county commission, Jewell Scott the dysfunctional DA with corruption and scandal in her wake. Clayton has been anything but a model of good government.

Add to that the rampant crime, and you have a more complete picture. You can add race into the picture, but I would just submit the facts into evidence that I stated. Black or white doesn't matter, but had I stated that many of the individuals involved are indeed black....would that matter? Would it be a racist statement on my part?
Neil I know you are not from Georgia originally.Even if I dont always agree with your view,I do see logic and reasoning where it does give me pause to make sure what I think is accurate or fair.
I guess what we see (I and many blacks) is too many times is a double standard and short memories.I don't care what color you are,if its wrong,it wrong.Im not gonna support wrong because its the same color I am.But for many years as this state was ran by th most corrupt men that garnered lucrative deals at the expense of poor blacks and whites.The Talmages,Maddox etc,,,,.They were bona fide crooks,(not to mention racist).They had their machines at work in many counties to make sure that their will was done.Our voting corruption at one time were no better than Louisiana or Mississippi.
Gwinnett County is a good example.Gwinnett easily has had more corruption(land deal ring a bell) than even Clayton ,yet people still move their,business still want to do business etc...Yet all we do is complain about how bad Clayton is.And YES to those who are black,it does seem unfair and yet another case of misplace indignation of how a majority black county has failed its constituents.
Luckily for us,for every crooked politician and dysfunctional government head ,we had some really extraordinary Governors and Senators who made change happen Governors like Vandiver,Sanders and Carter stand out.That change was largely successful,but in many counties that good old boy network is so evident even today.When does it stop?When we start focusing on the fact that its wrong or that its black and wrong or white and wrong,and just say hey this is just plain wrong.All I here is that Douglas is another Clayton county+code word for those blacks are ruining everything.Even when the foundation was neve secure to begin with.Thats at least how I see it.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
You wouldnt be the only one to wonder about that. Do a simple google search and put in "Clayton County white flight". There have literally been studies done on how quickly Clayco went from white to black.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:34 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Its true.We move up from Warner Robins GA in 1987 during my senior year of High school.Morrow High was at least 85% white.10 years later when my sister went it was 60% white.% years later when my younger cousi went,it seem around 40% white 20percent Asian and 40 %black

Old 03-31-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Its true.We move up from Warner Robins GA in 1987 during my senior year of High school.Morrow High was at least 85% white.10 years later when my sister went it was 60% white.% years later when my younger cousi went,it seem around 40% white 20percent Asian and 40 %black
Now it is virtually all black and asian with probably just a hand full of white kids.

I too am a former Morrow Mustang and cant think of ONE person that I grew up with that still has family or ties to our old home town of Morrow. It really is sad considering that Morrow was a BIG high school with near 2000 students back in the day. You would think that ONE person would still have roots in Morrow but sadly that isnt the case.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:45 PM

986 posts, read 1,666,460 times
Even Lovejoy -- one of the "newer" clayton schools, is almost majority black now. Lovejoy's first graduating class was in 1992 - I believe the school was probably 75% white then. When I graduated in 95, I think it was around 60/40 (white/black) -- and now, their website reports its almost 84% black.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:57 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Neil I know you are not from Georgia originally.Even if I dont always agree with your view,I do see logic and reasoning where it does give me pause to make sure what I think is accurate or fair.
I guess what we see (I and many blacks) is too many times is a double standard and short memories.I don't care what color you are,if its wrong,it wrong.Im not gonna support wrong because its the same color I am.But for many years as this state was ran by th most corrupt men that garnered lucrative deals at the expense of poor blacks and whites.The Talmages,Maddox etc,,,,.They were bona fide crooks,(not to mention racist).They had their machines at work in many counties to make sure that their will was done.Our voting corruption at one time were no better than Louisiana or Mississippi.
Gwinnett County is a good example.Gwinnett easily has had more corruption(land deal ring a bell) than even Clayton ,yet people still move their,business still want to do business etc...Yet all we do is complain about how bad Clayton is.And YES to those who are black,it does seem unfair and yet another case of misplace indignation of how a majority black county has failed its constituents.
Luckily for us,for every crooked politician and dysfunctional government head ,we had some really extraordinary Governors and Senators who made change happen Governors like Vandiver,Sanders and Carter stand out.That change was largely successful,but in many counties that good old boy network is so evident even today.When does it stop?When we start focusing on the fact that its wrong or that its black and wrong or white and wrong,and just say hey this is just plain wrong.All I here is that Douglas is another Clayton county+code word for those blacks are ruining everything.Even when the foundation was neve secure to begin with.Thats at least how I see it.
You see, I'm not thinking about Clayton County or the north Fulton suburbs or the City of Atlanta through any filter of what happened 50 or 75 or 100 years ago. I'm merely making simple observations about today.

The crime in Clayton is relatively bad, and much worse than it ever was 20 years ago. Government and the schools there have been in the headlines constantly for one thing or another. No one is saying that other cities and counties don't have issues, but no other metro counties have had a Sheriff like Victor Hill or a school system that lost accreditation with the issues they had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta