Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 04:50 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,403,233 times

Advertisements

... on the weekends? This seems odd to me as they let the parks remain open all week long but as soon as the weekend comes they block off the parks. They started doing it last year and it just doesnt make much sense to me. We used to go cookout at Mozley Park almost every Sunday and now they setup barricades and even put police patrols out there to keep people out of the park. They wont let you park at all and the only way you can go in is if you go park somewhere else and walk to the park. WTF kind of foolishness is this? I notice that they block off Mozley Park, the park on Memorial Dr, just started blocking off the park by the Marta station on Bankhead, Allgood...we moved to a park on Campbellton and now they're blocking that one off too.

I cant think of ONE legitimate reason for this. We were at Mozley every single weekend 2 years ago and not one act of violence occurred. So WTF???

Old 03-30-2011, 04:56 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,066,364 times
Have you tried asking one of the police patrollers why the park is closed? That is a little strange that they would only close it on weekends unless there was an event or renovation planned.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:58 PM

479 posts, read 702,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
I cant think of ONE legitimate reason for this. We were at Mozley every single weekend 2 years ago and not one act of violence occurred. So WTF???
As usual, if in doubt, assume racism by the "white man".

Old 03-30-2011, 05:06 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
As usual, if in doubt, assume racism by the "white man".
I don't think brownhornet assumed racism. And how could he since the mayor is not exactly white nor is most of city council. Perhaps I'm wrong - brown hornet?

Old 03-30-2011, 06:26 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,530,789 times
I assume its to stop all the cruising that happens at these parks with loud music etc.....To me its a part of life/that area and no biggie unless residents got tired of it or something happened.

You could ask a cop there, surely they know why.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:28 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,423,588 times
Probably has nothing to do with crime.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:36 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
That is kind of peculiar, since the Mayor has been making a big thing about being sure all the rec centers were open. A guy in the Parks Department told me they'd done that.

Could it possibly be some kind of safety issue? After the floods in 2009, some park buildings had to be closed because mold was discovered. I know there have also been problems with copper thieves ripping off the AC units at some city parks.

However, if the parks are open during the week none of the that would explain why they are closed on the weekend. I agree with you -- I've been out there on Sundays and have never seen a problem. Like Adric said, why not ask the police? Or maybe get a hold of somebody down at Parks.

City of Atlanta Online: Department of Parks, Recreation & Cultural Affairs (http://www.atlantaga.gov/Government/Parks.aspx - broken link)

Old 03-30-2011, 07:12 PM
MGD

122 posts, read 290,148 times
Quote:
... on the weekends? This seems odd to me as they let the parks remain open all week long but as soon as the weekend comes they block off the parks. They started doing it last year and it just doesnt make much sense to me. We used to go cookout at Mozley Park almost every Sunday and now they setup barricades and even put police patrols out there to keep people out of the park. They wont let you park at all and the only way you can go in is if you go park somewhere else and walk to the park. WTF kind of foolishness is this? I notice that they block off Mozley Park, the park on Memorial Dr, just started blocking off the park by the Marta station on Bankhead, Allgood...we moved to a park on Campbellton and now they're blocking that one off too.

may not be violence...may be other things going on that they picked up a trend on...like drug dealing. I have no clue but people aren't always violent but can find otherwise to abuse the intent of public spaces.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:15 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,099,198 times
Black parks? Do we have coloreds only water fountains again too?

Old 03-30-2011, 07:22 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
Can't some of the parks be reserved for events?

Anyways... I just wanted to add my two cents... I have always hated how in every part of Atlanta (region no city) the parks close. Even, if they close off parts I wish they would would at least leave small fields that are highly visible form the major streets open to anyone who isn't being loud or disturbing nearby neighbors.

Growing up the Gwinnett County police would always make everyone leave after nightfall, but it happens just about everywhere. They were nice about it, but I was annoyed as a teenager I had no where to go on the weekends where I wasn't in a house or spending money somewhere. There is a total lack of usable public space at those hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: