Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 11:17 AM

840 posts, read 2,085,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Final List….What do u think?

Mass transit

Clifton Corridor MARTA route to Emory University, $700 million

Atlanta Beltline, likely streetcars, $658 million

Atlanta to Cumberland (Cobb County) northwest corridor, possibly light rail, $879 million

MARTA state of good repair funding (various upgrades), $600 million

Restore Clayton County local bus service, $100 million

Preliminary work on a possible light-rail line from Doraville into Gwinnett County, $100 million

Georgia Regional Transportation Authority Xpress bus service, $180 million

Eastern MARTA extension in I-20 corridor, $250 million

Gwinnett express bus service, $40 million

MARTA heavy rail extension north to Ga. 140, $37 million
'

I Like everything that is on the list but The Gwinnett "preliminary possibility" either allocate money for the line or don't. They don't need to waste a $100 million for a line that wouldn't be built for another 20 yrs.

The road list is actually really good as well. I wish the commuter rail to Lovejoy was still on the list, but maybe we can get that funded with a grant or loan from the FTA or USDOT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 11:24 AM

3,707 posts, read 5,981,543 times
Quote:
Final List….What do u think?

Mass transit

Clifton Corridor MARTA route to Emory University, $700 million

Atlanta Beltline, likely streetcars, $658 million

Atlanta to Cumberland (Cobb County) northwest corridor, possibly light rail, $879 million

MARTA state of good repair funding (various upgrades), $600 million

Restore Clayton County local bus service, $100 million

Preliminary work on a possible light-rail line from Doraville into Gwinnett County, $100 million

Georgia Regional Transportation Authority Xpress bus service, $180 million

Eastern MARTA extension in I-20 corridor, $250 million

Gwinnett express bus service, $40 million

MARTA heavy rail extension north to Ga. 140, $37 million
That's pretty good, actually

Old 08-13-2011, 01:31 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
'

I Like everything that is on the list but The Gwinnett "preliminary possibility" either allocate money for the line or don't. They don't need to waste a $100 million for a line that wouldn't be built for another 20 yrs.

The road list is actually really good as well. I wish the commuter rail to Lovejoy was still on the list, but maybe we can get that funded with a grant or loan from the FTA or USDOT.
I think they put the gwinnett line so that this tax will pass. Remember we only need them plus Cobb dekalb & fulton to win

Old 08-13-2011, 01:51 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
The list looks good, but still so far to go. I wish there was a line all the way to Gainesville. Also, the commuter line to Lovejoy should have been completed already so it could be continued on down towards Macon. ...and don't get me started on the west line. We aren't even to the perimeter yet!

Old 08-13-2011, 10:53 PM

906 posts, read 1,745,677 times
Quote:
I think they put the gwinnett line so that this tax will pass. Remember we only need them plus Cobb dekalb & fulton to win
I agree. They need to market this one hard in Gwinnett to get enough votes, so they have to have at least something reading GWINNETT in the list. Hopefully it will be less wishy-washy in the final write-up (even if it's really just partial funding.)

I'm pretty solid on this list, too, I have to admit.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:59 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
I understand they're supposed to pare another $400 million or so from this list tomorrow.

TIA $6.56 Billion Working List

Old 08-14-2011, 09:38 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,104 times
People complain about our rail service but at least it's better than the rail in Vegas. At least our rail connects to the airport. I went this weekend to Vegas and their rail system does not connect from the airport to downtown, it sucked. You are forced to either spend $30+ on a taxi or you have to wait a long time for a shuttle.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:30 AM

3,707 posts, read 5,981,543 times
Quote:
People complain about our rail service but at least it's better than the rail in Vegas. At least our rail connects to the airport. I went this weekend to Vegas and their rail system does not connect from the airport to downtown, it sucked. You are forced to either spend $30+ on a taxi or you have to wait a long time for a shuttle.
I've heard the taxi driver's union had something to do with this, but I'm not sure how true that is. It would make sense.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:10 AM

906 posts, read 1,745,677 times
A great write-up and critique of the current transit-list:

Improve list of regional transportation projects; fix flaws in HB 277; and the region stands to benefit | SaportaReport

One surprise: Mayor Reed seemed pretty cold to the idea of commuter rail. Seemed to want to focus on MARTA and the Beltline primarily.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:20 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,374,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post
A great write-up and critique of the current transit-list:

Improve list of regional transportation projects; fix flaws in HB 277; and the region stands to benefit | SaportaReport

One surprise: Mayor Reed seemed pretty cold to the idea of commuter rail. Seemed to want to focus on MARTA and the Beltline primarily.
I think that makes sense that the Mayor would focus on the beltline and MARTA as opposed to commuter rail. I see commuter rail as being for the primary benefit of inbound out-of-towners, whereas MARTA and the beltline are more oriented to benefit the city and the immediate metro areas. I guess with a limited amount of dollars, he has to support the things that are of most benefit to the city. Just my guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta