Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2011, 08:10 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,224,245 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I wanted to know if anyone on the board had insight as to whether or not condos like 1010 Midtown or Plaza Midtown (or any others that can be recommended) has good sound proofing installed between units? I don't mind having neighbors close by, however, I don't want to have to hear all their activities :-)

My husband and I are in the process of moving from Alpharetta to the city because we can no longer stand the long commute time between work and home.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 08:28 AM

906 posts, read 1,746,263 times
It's a great question. My building (White Provision) has been really great in this regard so far. My neighbor's had his music blaring before, and while I could hear a little noise from the hallway in front of his front door, I couldn't hear a peep while inside my unit. When I was checking out the Midtown highrises, Viewpoint and Plaza Midtown didn't seem particularly noisy. But it's hard to detect on such a short visit.

Once you've narrowed down the projects you like best, I'd recommend that you visit a couple of these places in the evening, once people are home, before putting in an offer. You get a better feel for who's in the building, what the place seems like after work, views at night, etc. It also seemed like the listing agent couldn't quality control quite as much when it was nighttime. (And you WANT to catch them a little off guard if you really want to get a feel for the building and its tenants.)

Also, if you're thinking of purchasing a unit next to a major amenity, such as the pool, make *sure* to visit during a peak time to check out the sound issues. Some of these complexes can have loud "partyish" scenes at times, which may or may not be what you want to be near.

Good look and let us know what you find out!

Old 04-09-2011, 10:25 AM

Wow...you really gave same great tips and advice. I will check back in to give an update on our decision.

My and husband and I both thank you for your response.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:18 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Another tip: When looking at ANY condo development, ask the sales agents if the building/complex is a "conversion". Meaning, at one time they may have been built as apartments, and later, they were converted to condos for sale after what many times are only a few upgrades to the kitchen/bath areas.

Apartments in Atlanta (especially those built within the last 25 years) are sometimes notoriously poorly built. Thin walls and floors, substandard insulation, lacking in many firewalls, etc. When they are converted to condos, at the VERY best, most contractors just put some "fire resistant sheetrock" in-between the units, upgrade the carpet, kitchen cabinets, etc., and then sell them. The basic sound insulation remains pretty much the same as they were when they were apartments (poor). So if the complex/unit you're looking at was a conversion - pass on it, unless they can prove the places were built as "luxury" to begin with, with excellent wall thickness and good firewalls, etc.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:31 PM

Another great tip...thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta