Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 06:10 PM

172 posts, read 393,502 times

Advertisements

It was great to see Cee-Lo give a shout out to Chanterelle's - my favorite restaurant in the ATL for 15 years strong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 06:29 PM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
No, not true.
I do have to concede that a defensiveness about how we perceived by folks 'up there' informed the tone of this thread. I certainly have never cared about what they think, just for the record.

Last edited by Iconographer; 04-16-2011 at 06:42 PM..

Old 04-16-2011, 06:37 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I do have to concede that a defensiveness about how we perceived by folks 'up there' informed the tone of this. I certainly have never cared about what they think, just for the record.
I second that...I don't really give what anyone else thinks very much thought. Defending Atlanta or the South is never really an issue to most of us except on this site.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:02 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,128,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbyWAYofGA View Post
This is an interesting article from WSJ about Atlanta that I decided to cross pollinate from the SSP forum.

"There may be no better moment in Atlanta than the start of spring. Warm breezes sweep across lawns, sidewalk cafés and front porches. The dogwood trees burst into bloom—their faux-snowy show marked this weekend with the annual Dogwood Festival in Piedmont Park."
No, Atlanta spring is the worst. That's when we are bombarded by pollen and the spring storms. I'm thankful though we are not Mississippi or Alabama who get the worst of the storms.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:14 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
Well, it's always nice to get a little positive PR but Atlanta has been in the big time for years.

Many times I get frustrated with the way things are going around here but then along comes one of our fine spring days and it all seems okay again.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:22 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,128,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, it's always nice to get a little positive PR but Atlanta has been in the big time for years.

Many times I get frustrated with the way things are going around here but then along comes one of our fine spring days and it all seems okay again.
Eh, spring time in Atlanta is like hurricane season in the Gulf. I'm glad when it's over.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:44 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,184,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkwoodhipster View Post
I didnt even notice the race of the people.

The fact is that (and you can see this by visiting the city vs city forum) when many people think of restaurants in Atlanta they think of these:

Chilli's, Applebees, Ruby Tuesday, TGIF, P.F. Chang's, On the Border.

They think that since Atlanta is in the south/sunbelt, its dominated by chain restaurants.

Those people were probably taken by surprise when they saw a picture of a restaurant in Atlanta with what is an independent/local restaurant in a rehabbed, urban, bright/airy warehouse with cool, sleek, modern decor. They probably thought, "thats in Atlanta? Maybe the city really has changed!"
Huh? Hate to tell you, but all of those chains are located and patronized all over the country. Don't know where the misunderstanding on your part that eating at chains is a southern thing while people up north all eat at trendy bistros. It's not the case. Go to Long Island or New Jersey sometime.

Also, I really hate the snobbishness and the undertone of the comment, as if you're not cool unless you eat at a trendy bistro. Also, many chains are locally franchised and owned by locals, not that matters to me frankly.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:24 PM

187 posts, read 403,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Huh? Hate to tell you, but all of those chains are located and patronized all over the country. Don't know where the misunderstanding on your part that eating at chains is a southern thing while people up north all eat at trendy bistros. It's not the case. Go to Long Island or New Jersey sometime.
Did I say any of this??? NO. Of course those chains are all over the country. Thats why their called chains. And I know that people up there eat at them. I was just trying to say that in the past many northerners have looked down on Atlanta because they think because its in the sunbelt that the city is suburban, and when they think of suburbs they think of strip-style chain restaurants, so they think the only restaurants here are chains.

Quote:
Also, I really hate the snobbishness and the undertone of the comment, as if you're not cool unless you eat at a trendy bistro. Also, many chains are locally franchised and owned by locals, not that matters to me frankly.
I hate the patronizing tone of your comment and how your putting words in my mouth. I dont judge people who dont eat at intown spots. I just think its cool to have the option of not eating at a chain if you dont want to. My generation grew up in the suburbs and chains just arent that special to us. I and many other young people like me are thankful to have local/independent restaurants in cool areas of the city.

And to be honest, it doesnt matter to me either that they are owned by locals. None of those chains have stepped foot intown (besides Buckhead). So forget them. They dont deserve any praise when they wont even take the risk of coming intown.

This thread was nothing but positive until you started flaming. Debbie downer alert. Womp Womp.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:40 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,642,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinka72 View Post
People who live in Atlanta specially the 30% or so that were born, raised there and really do not know any better; give into a social pressure to be recognized by the big boys nation wide. Dont know why as most of its progressiveness if any; is due to, for the most part, transplants work and Yankeenization of the area. Yankees do not think Atlanta has only major restaurants chains, Atlantans heavily promote such chains. GO to any major restaurant chain in Atlanta they are ALWAYS packed. The ones who promote local restaurants, bistros, bbqs places, soul food holes on the walls are transplants. I honestly would not move out of the North expecting to find the same lifestyle typical of the South. Southerners from Atlanta so desperately need to be recognized that they exude insecurity.
Go sit in a corner!

It is always someone who has no knowledge or experience in Atlanta that is always trying to knock us two steps back. Grow up and realize that there are other important cities in America than just your typical areas such as Boston, NYC and Chicago. This is Atlanta baby, and like it or not we are on the rise! Got it! Good!

Old 04-16-2011, 08:57 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,973,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinka72 View Post
People who live in Atlanta specially the 30% or so that were born, raised there and really do not know any better; give into a social pressure to be recognized by the big boys nation wide. Dont know why as most of its progressiveness if any; is due to, for the most part, transplants work and Yankeenization of the area. Yankees do not think Atlanta has only major restaurants chains, Atlantans heavily promote such chains. GO to any major restaurant chain in Atlanta they are ALWAYS packed. The ones who promote local restaurants, bistros, bbqs places, soul food holes on the walls are transplants. I honestly would not move out of the North expecting to find the same lifestyle typical of the South. Southerners from Atlanta so desperately need to be recognized that they exude insecurity.
No.

I believe you in fact have met very few southerners. If you had, you would realize that most of us try desperately to retain the touch of Southern uniqueness that is left in the Capital of The South.

Also, has anyone been to the suburbs of any of the major cities of the north? They look like the suburbs here. Yes, there are local restaurants, but there are far more chains than anything.

In case anyone would like to know...there are 28 Applebees in metro Atlanta, 14 in metro Boston, 32 in metro Philadelphia, and 50 in metro NYC. How national chain unique are we really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta