U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 11:41 AM

642 posts, read 1,972,411 times

Advertisements

Metro Atlanta requests a transit future *| ajc.com

Like the article stated its a quality of life issue at this point. And yet some are still walking around with their heads up their you know what saying things like "no more mass transit is needed." Unbelievable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 11:50 AM

2,092 posts, read 2,652,376 times
I definitely agree. This is the main reason my husband and I are relocating from the suburbs to the city. We want more transit options and a walkable community.

Old 04-17-2011, 12:23 PM

5,207 posts, read 6,180,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrob View Post

Like the article stated its a quality of life issue at this point. And yet some are still walking around with their heads up their you know what saying things like "no more mass transit is needed." Unbelievable.
What are the reasons people dont want a better rail system in Atlanta??

Old 04-17-2011, 01:43 PM

7,846 posts, read 14,854,993 times
Quote:

I don't think anyone has said "no more transit is needed" and I think some folks really need to read. We need transit that makes sense.

A rail line from Town Center Mall to Arts Center is a waste in my opinion. It's just the same old rail to downtown...and a myriad of reasons have been stated why that is not the prime use case for suburban transit in Cobb. Still, the monolithic "downtown is the center of the universe" folks keep pressing for it.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:47 PM

227 posts, read 421,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post

Because in 2011 some people in Atlanta still believes that public transit brings crime to their neighborhoods

Old 04-17-2011, 01:54 PM

7,846 posts, read 14,854,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by society619 View Post
Because in 2011 some people in Atlanta still believes that public transit brings crime to their neighborhoods
Again...a false premise and a false dichotomy. The choice up until now has been to extend MARTA rail from downtown to Cobb and/or Gwinnett or not, at a very hefty price tag and additional sales tax. People want better rail that takes them where they need to go.

The issue isn't people being racist, or thinking that crime will come on the train. The issue is that heavy rail to downtown doesn't provide most people with much value. Why can't some of you understand and acknowledge that fact?

Old 04-17-2011, 02:52 PM

394 posts, read 563,580 times
Quote:

I hate to say it, but that's one of the main reasons that I decided to leave (though I do miss home dearly). I loved living in Atlanta and, at one point, felt like I could have been completely happy living there forever. However, I had a chance to live in a place that has great transit. Looking back, having a car was SUCH a burden for me. It's not even a second thought anymore. I don't desire having a car as my ONLY option. There's no freedom in that.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:39 PM

166 posts, read 276,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I don't think anyone has said "no more transit is needed" and I think some folks really need to read. We need transit that makes sense.

A rail line from Town Center Mall to Arts Center is a waste in my opinion. It's just the same old rail to downtown...and a myriad of reasons have been stated why that is not the prime use case for suburban transit in Cobb. Still, the monolithic "downtown is the center of the universe" folks keep pressing for it.
Well said, Neil. I'm sad to see that this Town Center/Arts Center line is the only rail transit proposal for Cobb. There were so many other ideas floated around in recent years for Cobb transit lines that sounded good to me.

The hub-spoke model, where intown Atlanta serves as a giant office park for a suburban metro, is dead. It just isn't a viable option for the growing metro population. The current trend -- one that I like -- is for multiple nodes of mixed-use zones that contain job centers throughout the metro. And my personal favorite aspect of this trend is for downtown Atlanta (my home) to have a more residential profile and not just be a 9-5 office zone.

Certainly there will continue be job centers that are larger than others and intown Atlanta will probably maintain a kind of dominance there due to density. But I would hate to see the model of the past continue -- where such a large percentage of commuters are coming intown from single-use zones 30 miles outside the city. It just doesn't make sense, sustainability-wise, to build incredibly long and expensive commuter lines to keep that outdated model alive.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:13 PM

969 posts, read 1,660,985 times
A Cumberland to Arts Center Station rail line is NOT a waste.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:40 PM

394 posts, read 563,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

The Cumberland to Arts Center station line would not only connect to downtown, but to the airport as well. I believe that, in and of itself, makes the line totally worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or