Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 06:17 AM

19 posts, read 117,353 times

Advertisements

Ok All...I really need to narrow it down. After days of investigating and reading the posts (thank you to all who responded), these are my three choices: Peachtree City, Lawrenceville (Grayson area), or Snellville. My husband will be working in downtown Atlanta. We currently reside in the DC Metro area, and understand that traffic is bad in ATL. He works ten miles from home, and it literally takes him an hour and a half to get to work. Our top choices for choosing a good area is low crime, schools, and location (traffic). Peachtree City does not have a lot of diversity, but it has everything else. Lawrenceville has pretty much everything, but there is a high crime rate in comparison to the other cities mentioned. I know that I can look at the demographics, but these statistics are going on being 3 years old. I really don't know a lot about Snellville, but I have heard good things. What do you think??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 06:26 AM

196 posts, read 732,394 times
Of the 3 you mention, Grayson area is the best. It has lots of the amenities such as shopping close by, lots of restaurants, lower crime and the feel of not so congested. My only concern is the commute, but if it is an hour and a half now, then this would be the max from the Grayson area to downtown....

Old 07-31-2007, 07:23 AM

10 posts, read 33,711 times
I just moved from California to Lawrenceville (30043...Peachtree Ridge)and I love it. I'm actually right on the boarder of Suwanee. In reading these posts about high crime in Lawrenceville...my question is, what kind of crime? I am in love with my neighborhood, my subdivision, the shopping, etc. I dont have a false sense of security because I'm always cautious regardless of where i am, but I do feel relatively safe in my community. I dont see any elements of crime so I'm wondering if I'm just oblivious or is this crime taking place in specific areas. Things that make ya go....Hmmmm....

Old 07-31-2007, 11:31 AM

167 posts, read 769,572 times
Most people mention high crime in Lawrenceville because it's so big. But if the number of people (per capita) was used when comparing crime in the cities, it would be equal compared to others.

You're right, the edge of Lawrenceville near Grayson is very nice. However, I would suggest you consider a bit closer to the historic Lawrenceville area. There are new (and resale) homes on Sweetgum Road that you may want to take a look at. The closer you get to Grayson, the farther you will be from key access highways to downtown (Highways 29, 316 and 85). Sweetgum crosses Highway 29. If there is an accident on 85, you have a straight shot to downtown on Highway 29. The homes on Sweetgum are closer to all of the major highways, so you will have great access. You will also only be about 5 minutes away from all of the festivals, fireworks, theatre and music that downtown Lawrenceville has to offer.

Good luck in your search!

Old 07-31-2007, 12:46 PM

61 posts, read 245,848 times
I still vote for Peachtree City...still the nicest and the traffic isnt as bad. Driving downtown from Grayson is a really long drive.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:41 PM

276 posts, read 1,127,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamomnva View Post
Ok All...I really need to narrow it down. After days of investigating and reading the posts (thank you to all who responded), these are my three choices: Peachtree City, Lawrenceville (Grayson area), or Snellville. My husband will be working in downtown Atlanta. We currently reside in the DC Metro area, and understand that traffic is bad in ATL. He works ten miles from home, and it literally takes him an hour and a half to get to work. Our top choices for choosing a good area is low crime, schools, and location (traffic). Peachtree City does not have a lot of diversity, but it has everything else. Lawrenceville has pretty much everything, but there is a high crime rate in comparison to the other cities mentioned. I know that I can look at the demographics, but these statistics are going on being 3 years old. I really don't know a lot about Snellville, but I have heard good things. What do you think??
I have the same issues. I have visited both Lville, Grayson and Snellville. I love them all but Lville downtown is to pricey for me and I figure if I am not going to live downtown area then I will go to Grayson or Snellville. I do love Grayson and Snellville for thier conviences etc...Grayson seems alot more small town like I am looking for..Lville has a great downtown..love it...Does anyone have any subdivisons that are in Grayson. I would like to continue to look into Grayson and dont really have much to go by. I was searching mainly in Buford but was not able to find any subdivisons that Buford schools were actually thes chool my kids would go too....If anyone knows of neighborhoods./subdivisons that are in Buford area that are actually Buford schools please let me know that as well...My family and I are planning on buying a home in GA(FROM SWFL) in Sept or Oct 07 and if we dont find anything prior to that we are going to rent a short term or hotel until we do that way we are already there...and that certainly makes it easier...
Thanks ahead...and good luck to all who are in the same dilema/situation we are in(Relocating to GA)...God Bless...Lisa

Old 07-31-2007, 09:52 PM

642 posts, read 2,219,374 times
I was at the Dr. this morning and was thumbing through a recent issue of Money magazine saw that Peachtree City was one of three Georgia towns ranked among the top 100 places to live in the country. Suwanee was also liste but I can't recall the third.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:01 AM

183 posts, read 1,007,369 times
My daughter lived in the Brentwood Estates subdivision in Grayson. It's right on Grayson hwy. There are many subdivisions on that road. Might be worth checking out! Good Luck!

Old 08-01-2007, 06:34 AM

612 posts, read 2,778,712 times
I think you have narrowed down to some very good choices. I have friends in the Grayson area (also my church is there) and it is beautiful, especially the area around Lawrenceville. I live in Snellville, zip code 30039, about 7-8 minutes south of the 'main drag' of the city. It is like country here, no hassles with traffic, parking, long lines, etc. But then hop in the car and a few minutes later you can be in the middle of it all. Almost all the houses, except for the very newest ones being built, have lots of land, in my neighborhood of 70 houses, I don't think I've found any with less than 3/4 of an acre. I think we have some of the most beautiful subdivisions in this area and life is just easy here. I have Lenora Park around the corner where I can take my daughter to the water park for like $3. Definately check out this area!

Old 08-01-2007, 08:59 AM

276 posts, read 1,127,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh891 View Post
I think you have narrowed down to some very good choices. I have friends in the Grayson area (also my church is there) and it is beautiful, especially the area around Lawrenceville. I live in Snellville, zip code 30039, about 7-8 minutes south of the 'main drag' of the city. It is like country here, no hassles with traffic, parking, long lines, etc. But then hop in the car and a few minutes later you can be in the middle of it all. Almost all the houses, except for the very newest ones being built, have lots of land, in my neighborhood of 70 houses, I don't think I've found any with less than 3/4 of an acre. I think we have some of the most beautiful subdivisions in this area and life is just easy here. I have Lenora Park around the corner where I can take my daughter to the water park for like $3. Definately check out this area!
Thank you so much I will def check that area and zip out. I do love Grayson..Its very pretty...We looked at one subdivison there called Hawthrone Farms. I think it is right off of 78....Loved it but would like a lil bit of a yard and this one didnt have much...Beautiful home though...
Any more thoughts come your way on this please send them along...If you dont mind me asking what church do you go too? We will be "church shopping" and I love asking ppls so I can narrow down that search as well. I do hate church shopping...LOL...Thanks again ....Lisa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta