U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 04-21-2011, 08:06 AM
 
Location: International Spacestation
5,208 posts, read 2,933,570 times
Reputation: 1415
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
Teens attack Delta employees on MARTA train | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta

Why am I not surprised these teens were black? And black people wonder why other people prefer not to be around large groups of them (Underground, Atlantic Station, etc), especially young rowdy obnoxious ghetto teens. This only strengthens the stereotype many people in the metro have of MARTA and it's sad. We are never going to have a decent transit system here because of things like this. Although I'll still vote for it, if more crap like this keeps happening, majority of people will vote down the 2012 transit tax and it's unfortunate.
I am Black, and I totally understand why others hate black people. Prior to living in Atlanta I didnt really see out of control blacks like I see now. I mean I saw a few in high school, but nothing like what I see now. Its like being in the twilight zone or something. Me & my girl was just watching a Doc on the KkK the other day...some of those things the klan was saying about blacks wasnt funny cause some of it was true. What can you do?

 
Old 04-21-2011, 08:09 AM
 
207 posts, read 211,422 times
Reputation: 158
Jeezy has a message for MARTA riders:

removed - this isn't a music video topic


Seriously though, incidents like this are why I will be carrying a gun soon. You can always count on the cops to come clean up the scene after you're murdered, but if you want to live, sometimes you have to protect yourself.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 04-21-2011 at 10:24 PM..
 
Old 04-21-2011, 08:13 AM
 
207 posts, read 211,422 times
Reputation: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
I am Black, and I totally understand why others hate black people. Prior to living in Atlanta I didnt really see out of control blacks like I see now. I mean I saw a few in high school, but nothing like what I see now. Its like being in the twilight zone or something. Me & my girl was just watching a Doc on the KkK the other day...some of those things the klan was saying about blacks wasnt funny cause some of it was true. What can you do?
I see what you're saying. It really is unfortunate for all of the good, hard-working, sane black people that some people have to act like fools and then they all get thrown in the same category. I know it seems like maybe a disproportionate number of blacks act up in Atlanta, but I think we have to remember that we can't just group everybody together. It's hard sometimes.
 
Old 04-21-2011, 08:24 AM
 
Location: East Side of ATL
2,673 posts, read 2,986,511 times
Reputation: 865
Quote:
4) I am tired of the MARTA train drivers themselves (we know what train we are on and what station we are at, we don't need to hear your muffled, mumbling, slurry, voice over the speaker system ALL THE TIME)
It's required by Federal law. I'm sure most of them don't want to do it but they are required too.

Quote:
I am Black, and I totally understand why others hate black people. Prior to living in Atlanta I didnt really see out of control blacks like I see now. I mean I saw a few in high school, but nothing like what I see now. Its like being in the twilight zone or something. Me & my girl was just watching a Doc on the KkK the other day...some of those things the klan was saying about blacks wasnt funny cause some of it was true. What can you do?
You agree with the KKK? removed - inappropriate comment

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 04-21-2011 at 10:24 PM..
 
Old 04-21-2011, 08:25 AM
 
Location: Metro Atlanta, GA
333 posts, read 377,445 times
Reputation: 204
It's basically the 80/20 rule at work where the antics and behavior of 20% of the African American population gives the remaining 80% of the African American population a bad name. Unfortunately, in the eyes of a lot of society, all of us get grouped in the same category as the deadbeats and troublemakers.

For whatever reason, it either seems like Atlanta just attracts more knuckleheads than many other cities, or that the knuckleheads are more concentrated here than in other cities.
 
Old 04-21-2011, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Middletown, Ohio
1,572 posts, read 1,344,019 times
Reputation: 5139
Lightbulb Spot-On, Sir...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS86 View Post
It's basically the 80/20 rule at work where the antics and behavior of 20% of the African American population gives the remaining 80% of the African American population a bad name. Unfortunately, in the eyes of a lot of society, all of us get grouped in the same category as the deadbeats and troublemakers.

For whatever reason, it either seems like Atlanta just attracts more knuckleheads than many other cities, or that the knuckleheads are more concentrated here than in other cities.
And it's the same verdict, even if the numbers were 90-10, 95-5, or 99-1...those of us (blacks) who succeed and achieve, and don't act like out-of-control morons, are ALWAYS, or at least most of the time, lumped in and categorized with those who choose to act all go-rilla like...thus, the reactions of some folk in regards to being in proximity with us...sad, but true...

Now on-topic...in my hometown of Cleveland Ohio, bus and rail drivers are in contact via radio with the RTA's own weapon-carrying, duly deputized police force...there are undercovers who physically ride the buses and trains and patrol train platforms, and there are also officers in radio cars who can travel to a 'trouble spot' after being contacted...

Has MARTA tried this? I mean, do they have a security force separate from the APD, and if so, what is the scope of their powers?

And also, on the issue of folks packing their own heat on MARTA, I have no beef with responsible, educated gun-owners---none whatsoever...but the issue there is, for every, say, 10 gun-owners, 8 of them have done what's necessary to own and carry their weapons, and they do it responsibly...

But then you have the other 2 out of 10, those loud-mouthed, Dirty Harry-wannabes, who loudly bark about 'yeah, if I'da had MY gun, that wouldn'ta happened, by god!' and go around thinking arbitrarily pulling a piece and busting a cap in someone is gonna solve anything...no, it just makes it more difficult when both the thugs and the wannabes are playing OK Corral with each other, and those of us who just want to live our lives peaceably get caught in the middle...

I hope the idiots who did this get caught, and get the book thrown at 'em, without everything having to be about folks pulling guns on each other all the time...I'm no shrinking violet, but opening a can of whoop-a** doesn't always work either
 
Old 04-21-2011, 09:59 AM
 
7,852 posts, read 12,456,030 times
Reputation: 2605
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS86 View Post
It's basically the 80/20 rule at work where the antics and behavior of 20% of the African American population gives the remaining 80% of the African American population a bad name. Unfortunately, in the eyes of a lot of society, all of us get grouped in the same category as the deadbeats and troublemakers.

For whatever reason, it either seems like Atlanta just attracts more knuckleheads than many other cities, or that the knuckleheads are more concentrated here than in other cities.
The thing is...when criminals are white, there just isn't the same kind of backlash toward the entire race. But let criminal actions be performed by black, hispanic, or muslim people and some will automatically lay the burden on everyone of that group.

This was a random criminal act by a group of people oblivious to the rules of society. I know it's frightening to think that any one of us could have been on that particular train...but it isn't MARTA's fault, it isn't black peoples' fault, and it isn't Atlanta's fault. The only people at fault are the criminals who were involved, and hopefully they will be caught and punished appropriately.
 
Old 04-21-2011, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Midtown Atlanta
4,563 posts, read 2,852,840 times
Reputation: 1616
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
The thing is...when criminals are white, there just isn't the same kind of backlash toward the entire race. But let criminal actions be performed by black, hispanic, or muslim people and some will automatically lay the burden on everyone of that group.

This was a random criminal act by a group of people oblivious to the rules of society. I know it's frightening to think that any one of us could have been on that particular train...but it isn't MARTA's fault, it isn't black peoples' fault, and it isn't Atlanta's fault. The only people at fault are the criminals who were involved, and hopefully they will be caught and punished appropriately.
Thank you! So true. Tried giving you additional rep... Alas...
 
Old 04-21-2011, 10:15 AM
 
815 posts, read 1,270,764 times
Reputation: 368
I am white. I can clearly see the distinction between thugs of all races and normal people within those races as well.

The categories we should be talking about here are thugs and non-thugs. Not Black, White, Mexican (sorry if those terms are not politically correct, not meant to offend).

When I see stories of this nature, I don't immediately think of my black neighbor here on the northside and lump him in. Nor the nice Black church lady on the southside. I think of uneducated punks. Its silly to think these youngsters, which display such awful behavior, are predisposed to be in one certain race.

I don't think I'm in the minority of my line of thinking either. To say that white people categorize all black people this way is also silly.
 
Old 04-21-2011, 10:20 AM
 
8,863 posts, read 8,571,806 times
Reputation: 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
The thing is...when criminals are white, there just isn't the same kind of backlash toward the entire race. But let criminal actions be performed by black, hispanic, or muslim people and some will automatically lay the burden on everyone of that group.

This was a random criminal act by a group of people oblivious to the rules of society. I know it's frightening to think that any one of us could have been on that particular train...but it isn't MARTA's fault, it isn't black peoples' fault, and it isn't Atlanta's fault. The only people at fault are the criminals who were involved, and hopefully they will be caught and punished appropriately.
Very true.

I haven't lived in cities like Chicago, DC, NYC or Boston--have read plenty of posts comparing rapid transit in these cities to that in Atlanta--the comparisons indicate that other cities' systems are superior--presumably such incidents do not occur?

This makes me think that there is something that could be done to improve security in Atlanta. Is it the lack of money--just not possible to have MARTA police available if there is something unusual?
Teenagers roaming free in the midnight hours --nowhere else to go but MARTA? Then it seems to me there should be some way to make that a less desirable activity.
Also, the fact that the doors didn't open at the next stop and those inside were virtually prisoners.
What if something much more serious happens one day--some act of terrorism--perhaps a bomb----there's just 'nothing anyone can do'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top