U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-20-2011, 02:58 PM

7,404 posts, read 8,764,931 times
As much as I would love to have an excellent mass-transit system to the suburbs, there isn't much point in building it unless it can be policed.

I know MARTA is considered safe during normal commuting hours, but I have never used it. My DH had some punk try to wrestle his laptop bag from his hands on his commute from the airport to the Perimeter area in the middle of the day. Since then he has refused to allow our kids to use it, unless they are traveling with a group, during daylight hours. It makes taking advantage of what the city has to offer more difficult. Overprotective? Perhaps, but worth the cost to us.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:59 PM

14,563 posts, read 9,141,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Atlanta urban crowd has historically been proud of it's disassociation with Blood and Crip gangs. It's roughest elements have been too busy involved with money making crews and not in territorial divisive gangs like the Red and Blue clad gangs you see so much of in other towns.
That gives new meaning to "The City Too Busy to Hate."

Sorry, couldn't resist. Your post is genuinely informative.

Last edited by arjay57; 04-20-2011 at 03:13 PM..

Old 04-20-2011, 03:03 PM

969 posts, read 1,046,532 times
Teens attack Delta employees on MARTA train | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta

Why am I not surprised these teens were black? And black people wonder why other people prefer not to be around large groups of them (Underground, Atlantic Station, etc), especially young rowdy obnoxious ghetto teens. This only strengthens the stereotype many people in the metro have of MARTA and it's sad. We are never going to have a decent transit system here because of things like this. Although I'll still vote for it, if more crap like this keeps happening, majority of people will vote down the 2012 transit tax and it's unfortunate.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:10 PM

8,863 posts, read 8,535,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
As much as I would love to have an excellent mass-transit system to the suburbs, there isn't much point in building it unless it can be policed.

I know MARTA is considered safe during normal commuting hours, but I have never used it. My DH had some punk try to wrestle his laptop bag from his hands on his commute from the airport to the Perimeter area in the middle of the day. Since then he has refused to allow our kids to use it, unless they are traveling with a group, during daylight hours. It makes taking advantage of what the city has to offer more difficult. Overprotective? Perhaps, but worth the cost to us.
I don't know what the solution/s may be but I don't know why the 'tail should wag the dog' because these crimes occur on MARTA.

jmo--If the MARTA police had 'suspicions' that a large group of teenagers out and about after midnight might be up to 'no good' they should have boarded with them.

If there are policies that prohibit this --then I'd say some revision of policies are necessary. There should also be some sort of emergency call button to hit, security cameras and whatever it takes to protect the public.

I don't have any more sympathy for 'kids' or anyone who makes this sort of choice. There is a problem ---millions of dollars are spent in public schools --the problem is evident there, too--harsh as it sounds, if you simply cannot follow the rules then you need to be removed from society.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:31 PM

389 posts, read 341,660 times
Why do the people here tend to gravitate towards and focus on the negative threads? We had a string of positive new threads for the past few days. Then, suddenly, someone drops this bomb and it goes to 6+ pages in such a short period of time...? We were doing so well...

Old 04-20-2011, 03:35 PM

8,863 posts, read 8,535,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbyWAYofGA View Post
Why do the people here tend to gravitate towards and focus on the negative threads? We had a string of positive new threads for the past few days. Then, suddenly, someone drops this bomb and it goes to 6+ pages in such a short period of time...? We were doing so well...
Ordinarily I would agree but this incident sounds like it could have been prevented and I am tired of hearing--'There is nothing that can be done...'

There is something that can be done and it is past time for action.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:36 PM

538 posts, read 451,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
While it may not be common, I'm often reminded that you can't single out one specific area as prone to crime. And furthermore, that here in Atlanta we need to get used to the fact that crime just happens in every big city. As I understand it, there's nothing you can do but grin and bear it.
The really sad thing is that you probably actually believe that statement.....wow...just wow....talk to any City of Atlanta policeman and he can direct you to the specific areas that are prone to crime....then you and your family can spend lots of time there...LOL

Old 04-20-2011, 03:38 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,981,265 times
Oh nos, bring out the national guard! I knew as soon as I saw the thread title it'd end up with like 20 pages.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:50 PM

2,614 posts, read 3,654,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Yeah, the fact that this is a bizarre incident on several levels.

A gang of kids wearing pink? What the eff has the world come to?
Lmao!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Seems they were on the train, not on the platform so there wasn't anywhere to go. These kids don't need parents, they need the Guillotine.
True, Randy. This is how things should have gone down that night. Watch, listen and learn:

YouTube - Charles Bronson vs. Muggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Attacks like this is why people feel the need to carry a firearm. I wouldn't have been sad to see someone shoot everyone of the little b'tards.

Why are they like this? Because they have no stability, poor parenting, kids having kids, brought up with zero respect for anything, no individual responsibility, no positive male role models in their lives, drugs in the home, quitting school or not even trying to apply themselves. This didn't just begin yesterday, and generation to generation the same problems continue.
So true. Again, watch the video. Everytime some punk decides to do something like this, and the end result is what you see in the video, maybe, just maybe, a good amount of these punks would think twice. I don't have an ounce of sympathy or compassion for these kids. Save us time, money, resources just getting shot up one by one. Harsh, but ****'em.

At this point, if they don't care about the precious thing called life, I don't know what to say. I've been done being a bleeding heart liberal when it comes to gangs and such. Let them perish...****'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Yeah things have changed. Since then you can find pink tinted men's outfits in the urban street wear section of most stores.
And I thought the exception was for pimps to wear pink. They've been wearing pink for a while (since the 70s), way before thugs. The ladies didn't seem to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger
But now it's a serious problem there with both gangs killing each other frequently and you can't even go to certain parts of town comfortable wearing "the wrong colors". I'd hate to see that situation here in Atlanta.
To be honest, if they don't care about themselves, they can all go ahead and kill themselves. They just need to do it where others won't get hurt.

I'm all for giving them a designated area where they can have their battles, and kill each other. Just let people know when they can be scooped up.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:06 PM

6,661 posts, read 4,053,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
While it may not be common, I'm often reminded that you can't single out one specific area as prone to crime. And furthermore, that here in Atlanta we need to get used to the fact that crime just happens in every big city. As I understand it, there's nothing you can do but grin and bear it.
No, we can't let ourselves accept that this is the way things can only be. If this sort of behavior is not nipped in the bud it will devolve into New York of the 1970s where people could get mugged in broad daylight while passers-by "minded their own business". The thugs cannot be allowed to be in-charge. It has to stop now and quite frankly I don't care how.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta