Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2011, 05:37 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,532,965 times

Advertisements

Charles Brosnon ftw!!!

Old 04-20-2011, 05:41 PM

227 posts, read 494,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
People will try to use stuff like that to make MARTA look unsafe. It's just a fact of urban life and the reality is it could happen anywhere.

Roughly 20+ gang members attack 2 people on a MARTA train a the second response on the thread is "its just a fact of urban life"

WTF???

Old 04-20-2011, 05:45 PM

I also find it funny how everytime there is a gun related issue in the city, people only solution is to throw more guns to the problem. If that was the case we would have mass shootouts all over the place, is that really helping?

Old 04-20-2011, 05:51 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listennow32 View Post
Does race really matter? They are thugs period. Lets be mature and end the race component of this discussion at that.
No, it doesn't. However, it does reinforce the stats that blacks are involved in a disproportionate percentage of these violent crimes.

That isn't popular to say, and you can find instances where other races do stuff like this, but a disproportionate percentage of crimes are conducted by blacks.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:52 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by society619 View Post
I also find it funny how everytime there is a gun related issue in the city, people only solution is to throw more guns to the problem. If that was the case we would have mass shootouts all over the place, is that really helping?
Actually, the criminal element does not want to confront armed citizens. They look for weakness. Do you think the same thing would have happened if these kids knew that everyone in that car was armed?

Old 04-20-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Actually, the criminal element does not want to confront armed citizens. They look for weakness. Do you think the same thing would have happened if these kids knew that everyone in that car was armed?
And what if they tried to rob you anyway? What if someone decides to fire at the guy, misses and hit someone else? What if the guy decides to fire back in self defense? Then you have a removed - language!!! mess on your hands. People assume just because you have a gun that means your safe but if someone runs up on you, can you really pull out your weapon and defend yourself in time before he takes a shot and you? People may think they're Chuck Norris but in reality things don't always go according to plan.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 04-20-2011 at 08:58 PM..

Old 04-20-2011, 05:59 PM

151 posts, read 193,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
People will try to use stuff like that to make MARTA look unsafe.

Those people sure are doing a good job in making MARTA look unsafe. Gee ohh jolly, have you people seen some of the youtube videos posted?? It's totally insane.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:04 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,422,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedestriAnne View Post
^^^^^^ Quick, clean retribution only works in fantasies and movies, though. Someone firing a gun on a moving train, would have probably resulted in a news story that started something like "Three people were killed and 10 injured on a MARTA train Sunday night when..." Chances are that the deaths and the injuries from gunfire, trampling and flying metal and glass wouldn't have been magically isolated to people involved in committing the crime either.

Not saying that I don't understand having that fantasy, just that it wouldn't ever really happen like that.
You're partially right. I've seen cases where thugs were shot dead, and no one got hurt. I remember once on the news (Florida a few years ago), two men attempted to rob a Subway sandwich shop, and there was a man (in his 60s, retired Marine) who happened to be there enjoying his food. He shot them both, one died on the scene, the other died on his way to the hospital.

Society benefited: No innocent person got hurt, two thugs were dead, and an ex-Marine was a hero for saving valuable lives, while helping society by ridding it of two losers/low lives. Tax payers enjoyed not having to feed, house and "rehab" these two fools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Lol... I thought Atlanta claimed to be far ahead of the other cities in GA when it came to race relations....
Not on City-Data. . City Data does not represent Atlanta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy
The race of the criminals seems to be more important to some people than the actual crime...
Some people take advantage of these situations to throw in a few jabs. You know how that goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy
When the OP asked who raises kids like this? I already knew the thread was going downhill fast...
Anything involving race, crime, and money will spark threads like these. It's a given.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I haven't seen anything regarding race in this thread. It just so happens that the punks in this case were black. But, punks occur in all races, as this story illustrates:

Marion teen killed: Six arrested; accused of killing, burning teen boy - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
This occurred to me also. It also seems 'unbelievable' that utilizing public transportation would offer 'no other option' than to apply for a concealed weapons permit and to exercise the 'Right to Bear Arms'.

I'd like to hear more about the scope of the duties of MARTA police. I can't be certain but I would think that even 'Mall Cops' would be within their rights to contact local PD's if something seemed 'out of the ordinary'.

1. I agree; Marta should work on increasing its safety.

2. I also think that it may not be on Marta's list of priorities maybe (just maybe), because the heads at Marta think people who ride Marta are not well-to-do types. I may be wrong. But....

3. In NYC, when people with money (read, young, Wall street types) starting moving back to Brooklyn neighborhoods (which were not safe initially, the train stations in these neighborhoods became safe.)

Why? Because people with money were moving in, it pushed for more security/safer areas etc. Giuliani (NYC mayor at the time) made sure people could no longer stand on street corners playing craps/dice, drinking malt liquor anymore. He called it "Improving quality of life". Of course, gentrification helped. More people starting moving to these areas, the subways became safer, and thugs had to find other dwellings. Once they know they're being watched, harrassed and targeted, they leave.

Can Kaseem Reid learn from Giulianni? He should, if he wants people to be confident taking the subway in Atlanta. If Atlanta wants to play big boy with these other cities, and expand Marta in the future, it will have to learn to manage its safety issues now. People are going to question taking the train to work, even if Marta were to expand to other counties.

Articles and occurences like these give NIMBYs plenty of leverage. Not a good thing, if you ask me.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:06 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,956 times
Quote:
And what if they tried to rob you anyway? What if someone decides to fire at the guy, misses and hit someone else? What if the guy decides to fire back in self defense? Then you have a goddamn mess on your hands. People assume just because you have a gun that means your safe but if someone runs up on you, can you really pull out your weapon and defend yourself in time before he takes a shot and you? People may think they're Chuck Norris but in reality things don't always go according to plan.
As the old saying goes:

"I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6."

Old 04-20-2011, 06:10 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,721 times
Quote:
And what if they tried to rob you anyway? What if someone decides to fire at the guy, misses and hit someone else? What if the guy decides to fire back in self defense? Then you have a goddamn mess on your hands. People assume just because you have a gun that means your safe but if someone runs up on you, can you really pull out your weapon and defend yourself in time before he takes a shot and you? People may think they're Chuck Norris but in reality things don't always go according to plan.
No, having a gun doesn't mean you are safe but you are in a position to defend yourself or help someone else. You're right, it may not go to plan; the thug might even decide to rob and shoot even the unarmed person. But if the thugs know there is nothing but sheep out there, things will get out of hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta