Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2011, 06:19 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,208,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
Well, my guess would be a lot of these kids are living in poverty, have little education, low self esteem and have very few if any positive role models and will find out outlet for their frustration. It's sad that outlet sometimes has to be crime. According to this article http://www.wsbtv.com/news/27608434/detail.htmlone witnesses say the teens were shouting "B.F.P.L" Possible gang activity? Hope the Delta employees are ok
While the courts and judges may take into account mitigating factors when people like this are caught perpetrating crimes as those mentioned, it should fall somewhat on deaf ears with the rest of us. There is never, ever a good excuse for bad behavior. Twinkie type defenses while novel, really no longer have much of a place in 2011? There are plenty who may weigh in and differ with that opinion but, I would always caution you to try and remember the victim and their rights. What happens to them?

And yeah, while this isn't New York or any other "really" big city, it doesn't make it "okay" for this to happen here....either? And people wonder why some of us go armed. Why not? When you see things like this you are somewhat happy you make a decision to go armed if for no other reason, a fighting chance. To be sure, in this particular instance, it would have mattered little and probably only risked the well being of the victim that much more as well as those others in the nearby vicinity who were innocent as well. Being Delta employees makes it moot. However, Nothing like a good shoot out at the Marta OK corral to get people talking about gun rights again I suppose. No matter, most instances aren't this organized and swift. Fortunately enough for those that do decide to carry. A personal choice and now you can see why some vie for it?

As far as parental guidance, community programs, and church, all that B.S. went out the door when they DECIDED to commit a PRE-MEDITATED CRIME like this, don't you think? All the sugar in their diets, beatings they allegedly suffered, and malfeasance they experienced in the homes just fall short of a good, fair defense. No, I think there is ample evidence throughout the world that there are societies that do NOT tolerate such behavior and oddly enough, there are few, if any "spectators". Try to steal in the Middle-East and see what happens to your writing hand. And yet, theft is relativel low......hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Say what you want but, swift, harsh punishment usually gets people and their minds "right". I know this is one more trapping of an enriched society as we find ourselves but, please do not start trying to "understand". Treat it like the military. They find whether you are at fault first and foremost. THEN, the liberals can come in and show the empty sugar wrappers little Kim had for b'fast that morning. Don't make excuses for them. Let them feel the wrath of a strong judicial system and go from there. This type of gang mentality should not be tolerated anywhere but rather, stomped out of existence with extreme and often deadly force.

I don't want to see another elderly man, woman, or child take this type of abuse anywhere for any reason. If society could get behind flight attendants after 9/11 (Ever see anyone really go overboard on a flight lately? Once the mal-content reaches critical mass, you can be assured that EVERYONE will know they have skin in the game as it relates to the outcome on a plane and act accordingly), why can't we all get around the victim when instances like this occur? Do what you can, call 911, write down descriptions, whatever. I know there was probably not much they could do with this thug crowd due to it's size but, you have to do what you can, when you can.

Hey, it's that or have a group of "concerned citizens" ride the Marta rails at night, armed to the teeth, just to check on the "quality" of the rides. Considering most pistols carry 15 or so rounds, could be quite a turn out if it happened on their watch? What would you lose in a justifiable shootout like that? Nothing. You can send the "kids" home in body bags for all I care. Problem solved. Turn the cameras off and send the grief counselors home....enough, is enough.

Hey, one can dream, can't they?

Old 04-20-2011, 06:21 PM

151 posts, read 192,854 times
Another reason I'll never ride MARTA due to hoodlums like this guy.

Video removed - it's not about THIS topic/thread. Please keep it on THIS story. Thank you.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 04-20-2011 at 09:01 PM..

Old 04-20-2011, 06:24 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,507,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
What a bunch of no talents. Kids are being bombarded by this "music" with its messages of money, bling, sex, and crime.
Most are fake thugs though..sad....

Do not post such videos in this thread - it's not relevant to the topic at hand. Thank you

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 04-20-2011 at 09:00 PM..

Old 04-20-2011, 06:26 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,405,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Garcia View Post
You betcha it does. If the teens were mexican you people would be hollering to send them back to mexico.
QUE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by society619 View Post
I also find it funny how everytime there is a gun related issue in the city, people only solution is to throw more guns to the problem. If that was the case we would have mass shootouts all over the place, is that really helping?
Again, it's not about throwing more guns to the problem. It's about reducing the number of thieves/thugs/losers on the streets. Making sure they don't even make it to a courthouse. What solutions do you have? I'm all ears.

Mind you, I thought like you. I still do when it comes to certain things, but strongly believe in personal protection. If these thugs had an ounce of doubt (since morals can be thrown out the window in this case) that the passengers were strapped, I bet you they'd either: hesitate, or not do it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Actually, the criminal element does not want to confront armed citizens. They look for weakness. Do you think the same thing would have happened if these kids knew that everyone in that car was armed?
Exactly. An ounce of doubt is all it takes for them to be deterred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by society619 View Post
And what if they tried to rob you anyway? What if someone decides to fire at the guy, misses and hit someone else? What if the guy decides to fire back in self defense? Then you have a goddamn mess on your hands. People assume just because you have a gun that means your safe but if someone runs up on you, can you really pull out your weapon and defend yourself in time before he takes a shot and you? People may think they're Chuck Norris but in reality things don't always go according to plan.
Again, read my previous post. I look at it this way: There was a dozen (or was it two dozen thugs?? ) in the train.

If the Delta employees shot 3-6 of them, it would be well worth it. That would make them think twice. That would shock these bastards to either slow down, or rethink the way they live. They need to see a few of their own (crew/gang) get gunned down to get the picture. It may be sad to you, that someone who thought the same way you do says these things.
The system as we see it is broken.

Thinking we're putting them in prison to rehab them is funny . It's up to people who live in these communities to value life, and try to change their ways of thinking and living. They can choose to watch the video posted here all they want and try to emulate that lifestyle, or enjoy the song (as horrible as it sound. Dudes have no skills whatsoever ) and take it for what it is, and move on and lead productive lives.

It's all about choices. Embracing ignorance leads to what society is dealing with now. Come to think of it, it's not just their problem, it's everyone's problem. We can't expect to be isolated all our lives from people who look different from us, and think it'll all pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
As the old saying goes:

"I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6."
Amen!!

In this case, I'd rather cap a dozen, then be judged by a dozen.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:44 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,405,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
While the courts and judges may take into account mitigating factors when people like this are caught perpetrating crimes as those mentioned, it should fall somewhat on deaf ears with the rest of us. There is never, ever a good excuse for bad behavior. Twinkie type defenses while novel, really no longer have much of a place in 2011? There are plenty who may weigh in and differ with that opinion but, I would always caution you to try and remember the victim and their rights. What happens to them?

And yeah, while this isn't New York or any other "really" big city, it doesn't make it "okay" for this to happen here....either? And people wonder why some of us go armed. Why not? When you see things like this you are somewhat happy you make a decision to go armed if for no other reason, a fighting chance. To be sure, in this particular instance, it would have mattered little and probably only risked the well being of the victim that much more as well as those others in the nearby vicinity who were innocent as well. Being Delta employees makes it moot. However, Nothing like a good shoot out at the Marta OK corral to get people talking about gun rights again I suppose. No matter, most instances aren't this organized and swift. Fortunately enough for those that do decide to carry. A personal choice and now you can see why some vie for it?

As far as parental guidance, community programs, and church, all that B.S. went out the door when they DECIDED to commit a PRE-MEDITATED CRIME like this, don't you think? All the sugar in their diets, beatings they allegedly suffered, and malfeasance they experienced in the homes just fall short of a good, fair defense. No, I think there is ample evidence throughout the world that there are societies that do NOT tolerate such behavior and oddly enough, there are few, if any "spectators". Try to steal in the Middle-East and see what happens to your writing hand. And yet, theft is relativel low......hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Say what you want but, swift, harsh punishment usually gets people and their minds "right". I know this is one more trapping of an enriched society as we find ourselves but, please do not start trying to "understand". Treat it like the military. They find whether you are at fault first and foremost. THEN, the liberals can come in and show the empty sugar wrappers little Kim had for b'fast that morning. Don't make excuses for them. Let them feel the wrath of a strong judicial system and go from there. This type of gang mentality should not be tolerated anywhere but rather, stomped out of existence with extreme and often deadly force.

I don't want to see another elderly man, woman, or child take this type of abuse anywhere for any reason. If society could get behind flight attendants after 9/11 (Ever see anyone really go overboard on a flight lately? Once the mal-content reaches critical mass, you can be assured that EVERYONE will know they have skin in the game as it relates to the outcome on a plane and act accordingly), why can't we all get around the victim when instances like this occur? Do what you can, call 911, write down descriptions, whatever. I know there was probably not much they could do with this thug crowd due to it's size but, you have to do what you can, when you can.

Hey, it's that or have a group of "concerned citizens" ride the Marta rails at night, armed to the teeth, just to check on the "quality" of the rides. Considering most pistols carry 15 or so rounds, could be quite a turn out if it happened on their watch? What would you lose in a justifiable shootout like that? Nothing. You can send the "kids" home in body bags for all I care. Problem solved. Turn the cameras off and send the grief counselors home....enough, is enough.

Hey, one can dream, can't they?

AGREED CALEB!!!!!!!! (Yes, I'm shouting in agreement!!! Lol. )

I had to rep you for it!! I'd give you more points, but I have to pass it around.

You had me tearing in laughter with "sugars in their diets". I could not stop laughing.

I agree, but modern societies have to deal with their (bleeding heart) decisions (speaking of what goes on in the Middle East. How thieves/criminals are treated).

Sadly it will never fly in a society like ours. We need it these days.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:44 PM

564 posts, read 884,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
No, it doesn't. However, it does reinforce the stats that blacks are involved in a disproportionate percentage of these violent crimes.

That isn't popular to say, and you can find instances where other races do stuff like this, but a disproportionate percentage of crimes are conducted by blacks.
It also stresses the grave socio-economic crisis that the African American community is currently in. Their historical social and economic history should be enough in itself to explain why today their exists disproportionate percentages of violent crimes in their communities. But, we don't need to go down that road. Once again the people who did what they did were low and it shouldn't make a difference of what hue their skin is. Its wrong what they did and terrifying for anybody!

Old 04-20-2011, 07:08 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,802,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
No, it doesn't. However, it does reinforce the stats that blacks are involved in a disproportionate percentage of these violent crimes.

That isn't popular to say, and you can find instances where other races do stuff like this, but a disproportionate percentage of crimes are conducted by blacks.
Not all crimes, and not even all types of violent crime. But for the types of crime that qualify, you can pretty much narrow it down by age and socioeconomic status.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:28 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,208,376 times
It's sad but, society is just not going to come forward for fear of life, lawsuits and everyone else's pursuit of their happiness. Apathy is alive and well and this incident only reinforces that fact. As a society, we are almost powerless. That's the easy part. What's more troubling is that the thugs, e-thug or otherwise, are feeling stronger everyday as the bad behavior has NO negative reinforcement. Unfortunately, it's probably going to take another South Central riot to get people thinking again and maybe, just maybe take a few more steps.

Hey, Bernie Goetz got away with it for the most part but, from what I saw in that special, his life was ruined thereafter. Does anyone really, really care that those 4 "got theirs"??? Other than the parents of course and for them, I am sorry. As for the 4 disconnected youths of that time? Shame he didn't hit them where it really counted. Maybe there is some justice in that they have had to live with those wounds all these years. I believe several ended up in wheelchairs? Can't remember but, there is some justice in that.

To be sure, this is no call to arms but, the "Castle Doctrine" is alive and well in Georgia so you can stand your ground if necessary. Maybe not in this case. Probably not prudent (Sorry George Sr.) but, in the other 999 cases, me thinks so? Perhaps? Should be interesting to see where this goes.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:29 PM

31,997 posts, read 36,597,175 times
The victims are from out of town and could spread this all over the place.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:43 PM

4,684 posts, read 6,097,505 times
MARTA can prevent things like this from happening by going back to what they did in the 90's by having 1 officer on each train and they would walk the train front to back twice from 5pts to the end of the line to make the presence known.

Pretty much now a guarantee you will not see a officer on the train except the ones that ride for 2-3 stops to another station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta