Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 02:16 PM

31,993 posts, read 36,516,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Growing up on the Southside wearing pink was almost a universal marker of being weak and nonthreatening. For lack of a better word (and less offensive) it made you a sissy. And of course, in a rough neighborhood the last thing you want is to be thought of a sissy even if you aren't a ruffian.
Gotcha. It was that way when I was growing up, too, but I had hoped society had moved on. Having had an effeminate child in our family I've seen how much harm those faux macho attitudes can do.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:19 PM

217 posts, read 407,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
MARTA needs cameras on their trains. That would be a great deterent to this type of crime.
That's one of the items on the transportation "wish list" (http://www.ajc.com/news/metro-atlantas-transportation-wish-910776.html - broken link) that could be funded from the sales tax that's up for a vote next year.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:27 PM

5,238 posts, read 7,950,481 times
Attacks like this is why people feel the need to carry a firearm. I wouldn't have been sad to see someone shoot everyone of the little b'tards.

Why are they like this? Because they have no stability, poor parenting, kids having kids, brought up with zero respect for anything, no individual responsibility, no positive male role models in their lives, drugs in the home, quitting school or not even trying to apply themselves. This didn't just begin yesterday, and generation to generation the same problems continue.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:45 PM

989 posts, read 1,735,830 times
This act was terrible, but is this really the headline story of the day in Atlanta, at least it is on the AJC. Seriously, was this the absolute worse high profile event of the day?

Old 04-20-2011, 02:52 PM

487 posts, read 1,808,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Attacks like this is why people feel the need to carry a firearm. I wouldn't have been sad to see someone shoot everyone of the little b'tards.

Why are they like this? Because they have no stability, poor parenting, kids having kids, brought up with zero respect for anything, no individual responsibility, no positive male role models in their lives, drugs in the home, quitting school or not even trying to apply themselves. This didn't just begin yesterday, and generation to generation the same problems continue.
Exactly all of the above-There is no way in hell my child could be out at midnight any-night much less a Sunday night without me knowing exactly where she is( I will be giving her a cell tracker). I see these rugrats on the train everyday-pants sagging down to the knees, tattoos in unhideable places, phones blasting music, sitting in the handicap/elderly seats while an old person is standing in front of them, cursing up a storm-what kind of future can someone like this have? You are right about the generation thing also, I see people in their 30's 40's behaving in this way also. I bite my tongue everyday trying not to say something to them-because I know nothing productive will come of it-and I just dont want to get into a fight.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:00 PM

257 posts, read 467,928 times
Looks like it's legal to carry on public transportation as long as you have a valid license to carry. I plan on doing so the next time I ride MARTA.

From georgiapacking.org:

Carrying deadly weapons on public transportation: Except for those with a valid license to carry, it is a felony offense to carry a deadly weapon onto a publicly owned rail vehicle, or bus. Carrying into a public building that houses the public transportation is also ok if you have a valid license to carry. In order to carry on a commercial airline, the firearm must be unloaded, locked in a case inside your checked luggage and separate from its ammunition and declared to the transportation company. It is against Federal Law to carry a firearm into the secure areas (Past the TSA metal detectors) of the airport(16-12-123, 16-12-127)

Old 04-20-2011, 03:30 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,780,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
People will try to use stuff like that to make MARTA look unsafe. It's just a fact of urban life and the reality is it could happen anywhere.
Dude, I'm sorry, but it is NOT common for a gang of two dozen teenagers to attack passengers for no reason. This stuff doesn't happen everywhere.

Atlanta has a serious problem with these bangers.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:34 PM

538 posts, read 922,322 times
I wonder what the two victims had in common (other than being Delta employees) that made the gang-bangers choose them and leave the other riders alone............hmmmmmmm......let me think......its coming to me......

Old 04-20-2011, 03:44 PM

31,993 posts, read 36,516,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Dude, I'm sorry, but it is NOT common for a gang of two dozen teenagers to attack passengers for no reason. This stuff doesn't happen everywhere.

Atlanta has a serious problem with these bangers.
While it may not be common, I'm often reminded that you can't single out one specific area as prone to crime. And furthermore, that here in Atlanta we need to get used to the fact that crime just happens in every big city. As I understand it, there's nothing you can do but grin and bear it.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:50 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,410,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Growing up on the Southside wearing pink was almost a universal marker of being weak and nonthreatening. For lack of a better word (and less offensive) it made you a sissy. And of course, in a rough neighborhood the last thing you want is to be thought of a sissy even if you aren't a ruffian.

Because of that, wearing pink was just one of those unsaid things you just did not do like leave your car or front door unlocked or walk through an unfamiliar neighborhood with nice clothes and shoes on.

Frankly, the idea of a gaggle of kids all wearing pink would make me laugh more than anything else.

I guess things are different now.
Yeah things have changed. It's true what RandyWatson reported. The rapper Cameron and his associated group the Diplomats or Dipset actually sported pink outfits, pink diamonds and even pink expensive rides in their video's a few years ago. Since their music was popular and they were considered to be cool and tough guys by the youngsters this trend really took off . Since then you can find pink tinted men's outfits in the urban street wear section of most stores.

The disturbing part of this is that pink is considered an acceptable alternative to red clothing for many Blood gangs now a days. Atlanta urban crowd has historically been proud of it's disassociation with Blood and Crip gangs. It's roughest elements have been too busy involved with money making crews and not in territorial divisive gangs like the Red and Blue clad gangs you see so much of in other towns. All that's starting to change now. Many kids here have especially started claiming Blood sets and even a couple of famous rappers based here. I can see Atlanta going down a dangerous road with this.

Bloods and Crips tend to be more about territorial violence than what we've had here in Atlanta so far. I saw them just beginning to move into Toledo, Ohio when I left in 1994 and it looked like just a fad same as here now. But now it's a serious problem there with both gangs killing each other frequently and you can't even go to certain parts of town comfortable wearing "the wrong colors". I'd hate to see that situation here in Atlanta.

Last edited by Galounger; 04-20-2011 at 04:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta