U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-21-2011, 11:23 AM

7,852 posts, read 12,451,219 times
"...the kind of place where everyone would want to live - not just lesbians - everyone!"

Good find Listennow32.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 09:10 PM

449 posts, read 554,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listennow32 View Post
Bravo

Whoever said when an Organic Food restaurant appears hit the needle on the head.

In Anacostia, South East DC, I saw an Organic Food restaurant and thought I was going crazy.

I never thought Kirkwook, East Atlanta, and East Lake would see the days of gentrification.

Crazy

Old 04-21-2011, 09:51 PM

1,498 posts, read 1,652,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
What about the section 8 apartments in Decatur near Decatur High School. Are you saying that the City of Decatur has not completely gentrified?
Aren't those DHA? Those are more project-like. I'm talking about private apartment complexes that accept section 8, like Bedford-Pine along Boulevard.

For example, Old Fourth Ward will never be fully gentrified until Boulevard is leveled.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:24 AM

461 posts, read 563,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Aren't those DHA? Those are more project-like. I'm talking about private apartment complexes that accept section 8, like Bedford-Pine along Boulevard.

For example, Old Fourth Ward will never be fully gentrified until Boulevard is leveled.
And the ones that are being referred to in Decatur across from the High School have been torn down (half of them so far) and replaced with town houses because they were mostly empty.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:18 AM

8,863 posts, read 8,566,277 times
I suppose I live in a gentrified suburb--

-Whole Foods
--Same Sex households

--Social activism

--Diversity of religious/political beliefs and somewhat ethnically diverse--good food of many kinds is not far away

--An area that declined in the 80's and began to redevelop in the 90's--the 'architectural style' is nothing exceptional--if that counts.

--We have some great old trees--I can remember when they were scrawny new trees

/gentrified

Old 04-22-2011, 10:33 AM

2,614 posts, read 3,663,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I suppose I live in a gentrified suburb--

-Whole Foods

--Social activism

--Diversity of religious/political beliefs and somewhat ethnically diverse--good food of many kinds is not far away

--An area that declined in the 80's and began to redevelop in the 90's--the 'architectural style' is nothing exceptional--if that counts.

--We have some great old trees--I can remember when they were scrawny new trees

/gentrified

What area are you in? Sounds interesting.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:37 AM

1,498 posts, read 1,652,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakhurstlauren View Post
And the ones that are being referred to in Decatur across from the High School have been torn down (half of them so far) and replaced with town houses because they were mostly empty.
Speaking of Oakhurst, the pace of gentrification there would make a good case study. I'd say it's already fully gentrified, eventhough it started around the same time as Kirkwood. I think the fact that it's on the Atlanta side of Decatur (as opposed to the side bordering unincorporated DeKalb) + lots of historic bungalows + has it's own village/downtown started it, but the schools were the tipping point. If you compare Oakhurst with Kirkwood, its immediate neighbor, Oakhurst is way farther ahead.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:41 AM

8,863 posts, read 8,566,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
What area are you in? Sounds interesting.
30329--North Decatur. sniff--I felt left out.

About our only claim to fame is the intersection at North Druid Hills and Briarcliff--one of the busiest/worst by some standards. We have Target, Chick Fil A, QT and a new Walgreens. There are Indian shops in a strip mall beside the Target. At Clairmont and Briarcliff--many Ethiopian restaurants and Moe's pizza---very tasty. There used to be a dairy farm where Loehman's Plaza is now located. It's walkable---that should count for something, right?

Old 04-23-2011, 06:21 AM

12,802 posts, read 18,973,372 times
Quote:

About our only claim to fame is the intersection at North Druid Hills and Briarcliff--one of the busiest/worst by some standards. We have Target, Chick Fil A, QT and a new Walgreens. There are Indian shops in a strip mall beside the Target. At Clairmont and Briarcliff--many Ethiopian restaurants and Moe's pizza---very tasty. There used to be a dairy farm where Loehman's Plaza is now located. It's walkable---that should count for something, right?
30329? I would say so, since it was discovered by gay men a few years ago. The years to come will no doubt see its' increasing densification. It's already started in Executive Park.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:51 PM

2,614 posts, read 3,663,218 times
Quote:

Sorry. Not my intention. I didn't know. Never meant it that way. Hope we're cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta