U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 03:04 PM

2,815 posts, read 2,323,505 times
It saves a lot of real estate to do it that way. 85 and 75 both take curves to the right and left respectively after the split (looking north), so the roads need to fit a LOT of curve in as they move north. Having 85 exit from the left allows you to start the curve from a more westerly position, which makes the degree of curvature lower and more acceptable for interstates.

If you look at google earth, you can see how 75 is basically right next to the Buford Highway connector as BH goes around that really sharp curve. If that were 85 instead, it would have had to go around a curve that's roughly that sharp or, to meet interstate standards, it would have had to cut right through BH and all the real estate (SCAD and those apartments) right there. Having 85 exit from the left allows all of this to fit within an acceptable geometry and the existing footprint, with the downside being something that's geographically confusing and makes it hard to get between Midtown and Buckhead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 03:20 PM

4,479 posts, read 2,728,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
It saves a lot of real estate to do it that way. 85 and 75 both take curves to the right and left respectively after the split (looking north), so the roads need to fit a LOT of curve in as they move north. Having 85 exit from the left allows you to start the curve from a more westerly position, which makes the degree of curvature lower and more acceptable for interstates.

If you look at google earth, you can see how 75 is basically right next to the Buford Highway connector as BH goes around that really sharp curve. If that were 85 instead, it would have had to go around a curve that's roughly that sharp or, to meet interstate standards, it would have had to cut right through BH and all the real estate (SCAD and those apartments) right there. Having 85 exit from the left allows all of this to fit within an acceptable geometry and the existing footprint, with the downside being something that's geographically confusing and makes it hard to get between Midtown and Buckhead.
Good explanation. Thanks!

Old 04-28-2011, 04:19 PM

5 posts, read 3,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Thanks everyone.
Freeways are not the sole answer but still part of it. Atlanta is a huge hub, these 18 wheelers are going nowhere and they seem to grow every year in number. Quite frankly 285 should have a truck only lane b/c WAY TO MANY ACCIDENTS involve these trucks. .
These accidents are caused by all the 4-wheelers that travel in the fast lanes/center lanes see the road sign that states exit 1 mile instead of merging over to the right at that point and waiting patiently for their exit, they stay in the center to try and get around the big truck up front and cut him off with less than 50ft to the exit then slam on the brakes so the can make the exit which causes the truck to hit his/her brakes, if they are not involved in an accident you will now have a bottle neck at that exit. The truck which has lost all momentum is now moving below interstate speeds which all traffic behind him to come to almost if not a complete stop " Bottle Neck " now the rate of traffic entering into the bottleneck far exceeds the rate of traffic exiting it rendering this lane useless. Everyone else seeing break lights ahead begin to slow the speeds and now the entire interstate is moving at 10mph Atl traffic 101 Ask your Governor to remove all truck lane restrictions on I-285 and allow trucks to use the center lanes instead of confining them to the right 2 lanes only with all of the entering and exiting traffic and you will instant see a dramatic improvement in both traffic flow and Semi-Auto collisions after all Truckers are the Professional Drivers.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:17 PM

14,372 posts, read 8,898,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post

Thanks, testa, that is a good explanation!

And Ansley, I'll be darned if I know why people think highway contractors are always out to make money. Many of them are probably real nice people just trying to help out their fellow man.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:11 PM

3,130 posts, read 2,896,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordinary People View Post
These accidents are caused by all the 4-wheelers that travel in the fast lanes/center lanes see the road sign that states exit 1 mile instead of merging over to the right at that point and waiting patiently for their exit, they stay in the center to try and get around the big truck up front and cut him off with less than 50ft to the exit then slam on the brakes so the can make the exit which causes the truck to hit his/her brakes, if they are not involved in an accident you will now have a bottle neck at that exit. The truck which has lost all momentum is now moving below interstate speeds which all traffic behind him to come to almost if not a complete stop " Bottle Neck " now the rate of traffic entering into the bottleneck far exceeds the rate of traffic exiting it rendering this lane useless. Everyone else seeing break lights ahead begin to slow the speeds and now the entire interstate is moving at 10mph Atl traffic 101 Ask your Governor to remove all truck lane restrictions on I-285 and allow trucks to use the center lanes instead of confining them to the right 2 lanes only with all of the entering and exiting traffic and you will instant see a dramatic improvement in both traffic flow and Semi-Auto collisions after all Truckers are the Professional Drivers.
And I am not saying 18 wheelers are the sole problem and not really blaming them. What I am saying is they should be given an expressway if possible. I can't even count how many people have stated to me they have anxiety just driving around them and being nervous. This causes accidents.

I am also very upset with the enforcement of these 18 wheelers. Many are in horrible driving conditions, ESPECIALLY THEIR TIRES. All over the city they drive until the tires wear out and explode and the debris hits cars around them and there is huge chunks of tire all over the road. This is a SERIOUS problem and a hazard. Sadly I've hit this debris and its caused serious damage where I had to get it fixed.

If you give 18 wheelers the center lane, they will just start moving over to the left lane....sorry they need to stay in the right. And again, I am fully aware many many many drivers here of 4 wheelers are absolutely horrid.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:11 AM

4,479 posts, read 2,728,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Thanks, testa, that is a good explanation!

And Ansley, I'll be darned if I know why people think highway contractors are always out to make money. Many of them are probably real nice people just trying to help out their fellow man.
Just like lawyers!

Old 04-29-2011, 02:23 PM

5 posts, read 3,074 times
Quote:
I can't even count how many people have stated to me they have anxiety just driving around them and being nervous. This causes accidents.
this is exactly why they should be allowed to uses the innermost lanes most are just passing thru and if they aren't they will get in the correct lane well before their exit.

Quote:
, I am fully aware many many many drivers here of 4 wheelers are absolutely horrid.
I totally agree with you on this
If all Ga drivers had to pass the professional drivers test half the drivers would be on the road.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:14 AM

1,366 posts, read 1,317,311 times
Has anyone proposed express and local lanes for the connector? I'd say take the leftmost three of the existing 7 lanes on each side, wall them off, and make them express lanes with no downtown access. It's not quite double-decking or viaducting but it'd be a good start and would help limit lane changes that seem to screw up traffic so much there.

You could start the lane dividers on I75 and I85 a mile or so north before they merge, have no midtown or downtown access, and start to have express lane exits (or express to local lane access) on the connector south of downtown, then end the lane divides after 75 and 85 split off again on the southside.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:50 AM

727 posts, read 550,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Has anyone proposed express and local lanes for the connector? I'd say take the leftmost three of the existing 7 lanes on each side, wall them off, and make them express lanes with no downtown access. It's not quite double-decking or viaducting but it'd be a good start and would help limit lane changes that seem to screw up traffic so much there.

You could start the lane dividers on I75 and I85 a mile or so north before they merge, have no midtown or downtown access, and start to have express lane exits (or express to local lane access) on the connector south of downtown, then end the lane divides after 75 and 85 split off again on the southside.

That would help alot.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:59 AM

2,671 posts, read 5,518,763 times
I think they should built a viaduct freeway around the west of downtown connecting the north and south 75 and 85 splits. It can be double-decked for direction and above Northside and Metropolitan Pkwy. It can also be a toll road for those who prefer to use it over the connector.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta