U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 02:36 AM

389 posts, read 341,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Here's the thing...I've been all over the world. And I am not kidding. And I include major US cities. And here's my conclusion:

You know that saying about beautiful women? That somewhere some guy is over it (to put it nicely)?

Why does that saying exist? Because no matter the physical beauty of a place, or the amenities it has to offer, once you live there long enough you get so used to it that it's like an old doormat and you're just not excited by it anymore.

What does make a place great? Same thing that makes a beautiful woman still exciting after you get over the beauty. It's the relationships you build

So, it's all on you and within you to find happiness somewhere or with someone. It's ALL you.

So, yeah, you're a Danny Downer.
Very well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 08:03 AM

1,667 posts, read 1,451,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
1. Weather - This is the main reason my parents moved here. People really seem to underestimate the allure of good weather.

2. Low taxes.

3. Natural beauty (rolling hills, tree coverage, blue skies).

4. Up-and-coming - It's refreshing to see a lot of people care about the city and are putting in a lot of time and money to take it to the next level

5. Lots of young and educated professionals.

6. Pretty girls.

7. Diverse economy (used to be able to say "good" and "growing").

8. Good east-coast location.

9. Beach within 5 hours, mountains within an hour.

10. "Big-city" Feel and (recently) Amenities - Yeah, it's amenities are not as great as other cities, but at least they're getting better. We do have 4 major sports teams, which does say something.

This is a refreshing post by you

Old 04-21-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Gawd, what a Debbie Downer. Except I guess you're a Dannie Downer...

Shes miserable there best friends with back2dc

Old 04-21-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Here's the thing...I've been all over the world. And I am not kidding. And I include major US cities. And here's my conclusion:

You know that saying about beautiful women? That somewhere some guy is over it (to put it nicely)?

Why does that saying exist? Because no matter the physical beauty of a place, or the amenities it has to offer, once you live there long enough you get so used to it that it's like an old doormat and you're just not excited by it anymore.

What does make a place great? Same thing that makes a beautiful woman still exciting after you get over the beauty. It's the relationships you build

So, it's all on you and within you to find happiness somewhere or with someone. It's ALL you.

So, yeah, you're a Danny Downer.

Great way to put this. Because there are people that are from NYC and say they willnever go back. Same with Chi, SF LA and all the other cities that people praise on here..

Old 04-21-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Oh come on... Can I not gripe without you people griping about my griping. I answered the guy's question. Would it have been better if I said "Atlanta is a crime-infested sh*thole with enormous problems due to decades of mismanagement and general apathy amongst most of its citizens?" Honestly sometimes I feel that way. I can turn it up a notch you know.

And yes, I'm working on moving somewhere else.

"Too bad all those neighborhoods are segregated in NYC"

yeah Tony...

Well when all your post are gripes then what do you expect?

Old 04-21-2011, 08:31 AM

6,494 posts, read 6,604,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinka72 View Post
It is unbelieveable the amount of close minded, disrespectful people who are on a crusade to save Atlanta from HONEST opinions.

CHEAP real estate did me in. Atlanta real estate taught me the real meaning of you get what you pay for.

Wheather. Not a big deal, really. The Winters are very cold and the only plus is that it doesnt snow. However, when it does we all know what happens.
Its unbelievable to me that people come on here and complain about "how bad" Atlanta is when it isn't really "Atlanta" that is the problem but their own personal expectations.

When I read the following lines I usually see this:

"Dating here is horrible." - I can't get a date to save my life because I lack qualities the opposite or same sex find appealing.

"The weather here sucks." - I didn't take the time to figure out I was moving to a part of the country that was different weather-wise where I was from.

"Atlanta is DANGEROUS!" - Large groups of young urban black or latino teens scare the crap out of me.

"Public transportation doesn't go anywhere." - I didn't do the research necessary to figure out where public transportation is actually located in this city and got the cheapest house/apartment OTP I could find.

"There's nothing to do here!" - I moved to Paulding County and didn't realize that it isn't "the city" before going there.

"There are no jobs here!" - I'm 22 and think I should be making $100k a year instead of working hard for a very long period of time to get to that point.

There is always something that sucks about any city. Those who go on about how WONDERFUL a place like say San Francisco is never say anything (or know) about how expensive it is live there or the massive homeless problem (worse than here) or the wonderful aroma of urine in the streets.

The most important factor in what makes a city wonderful and enjoyable is the relationships you build around you. If you have great friends and someone special close to you, then your life will be enjoyable in any city.

If you are incapable of that for any reason then yes, {insert city here} will suck for you.

Last edited by waronxmas; 04-21-2011 at 09:50 AM..

Old 04-21-2011, 09:49 AM

7,852 posts, read 12,424,637 times
Obviously we all know that Atlanta has more to offer than inexpensive housing. Actually, housing is only inexpensive when compared to other cities that ARE expensive...and it isn't inexpensive relative to income in Atlanta.

I chose Atlanta more than 20 years ago for the nightlife and lifestyle it offered. I still love Atlanta today for many reasons unrelated to my original reasons. My advice to someone who thinks the city has only one thing going for it...either leave and don't ever look back, or discover some things here that can make you happy. But don't sit and complain - it makes a person look so small.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:01 AM

4,556 posts, read 2,828,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Obviously we all know that Atlanta has more to offer than inexpensive housing. Actually, housing is only inexpensive when compared to other cities that ARE expensive...and it isn't inexpensive relative to income in Atlanta.

I chose Atlanta more than 20 years ago for the nightlife and lifestyle it offered. I still love Atlanta today for many reasons unrelated to my original reasons. My advice to someone who thinks the city has only one thing going for it...either leave and don't ever look back, or discover some things here that can make you happy. But don't sit and complain - it makes a person look so small.
DeaconJ - You are so right. Our needs and wants change over the years. When we are single and footloose we value some things more than others. When we are married with no kids, we value some things more. When we have kids, well, we value other things more. It's evolutionary, just like life. Hmm, it is life isn't it?

Old 04-21-2011, 10:30 AM

2,688 posts, read 3,408,580 times
Atlanta is not for everyone but for those like myself that love what it is about there is no better place and It has a world more to it than just cheap housing.

Every city has it's malcontents. Don't believe me, look at the Denver and Seattle forums. Both of those cities are considered by many to be shining gems; examples of what urban American cities should be but if you look at their forums there are plenty of people on the Denver forum that complain that if you aren't into Mountains and outdoor lifestyle there's nothing here for you or it's just a cow town and they want out. Then in Seattle you see a lot of people say they can't stand the type of people that live in Seattle or the weather makes them miserable and they want to move.

The OP says most people you talk to agree with you about your dislike of Atlanta. That's not shocking since alot of people mostly socialize and communicate with people that are very similar to them in their views and taste. Perhaps you don't like and associate much with the type of people that will tell you they love Atlanta but that doesn't mean they aren't there in great numbers. In other words it's not like you conducted a scientific poll.

Last edited by Galounger; 04-21-2011 at 10:40 AM..

Old 04-21-2011, 10:30 AM

6,494 posts, read 6,604,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
DeaconJ - You are so right. Our needs and wants change over the years. When we are single and footloose we value some things more than others. When we are married with no kids, we value some things more. When we have kids, well, we value other things more. It's evolutionary, just like life. Hmm, it is life isn't it?
The problem is, some people never grow and are in a perpetual state of immaturity. Every problem in their life is someone else fault but their own. In the city-data world, that disorder is extended to whole cities. "My life doesn't suck, {insert city here} sucks and if only I could get away it would be better".

People like that just kind of drift through life until they figure out that the problem is "closer to home" or they die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta