U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 03:28 PM

5,209 posts, read 2,770,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
1. Weather - This is the main reason my parents moved here. People really seem to underestimate the allure of good weather.

2. Low taxes.

3. Natural beauty (rolling hills, tree coverage, blue skies).

4. Up-and-coming - It's refreshing to see a lot of people care about the city and are putting in a lot of time and money to take it to the next level

5. Lots of young and educated professionals.

6. Pretty girls.

7. Diverse economy (used to be able to say "good" and "growing").

8. Good east-coast location.

9. Beach within 5 hours, mountains within an hour.

10. "Big-city" Feel and (recently) Amenities - Yeah, it's amenities are not as great as other cities, but at least they're getting better. We do have 4 major sports teams, which does say something.
1. best seasons are spring & fall in Atlanta

2. too many counties in the metro to make a call on this.

3. Co Sign

4. Up and Coming? I thought Atlanta was already UP THERE with the International Majors??

5. Is there such thing as an UNeducated Professional?

6. Every city has those. Seriously chicks are everywhere in the world.

7. Co Sign

8. No its not.

9. What do people do in the mountains??

10. CoSign...Big City FEEL, but not Big City Mentality. People can be a little too chill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 09:27 AM

4,368 posts, read 2,630,091 times
What do you mean, what do people do in the mountains? Have you never been? If not, you're missing out. Hikes, rafting, boating, enjoying beautiful vistas, enjoying peaceful quiet... There are a lot of many wonderful things to do in the mountains.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:37 AM

3,238 posts, read 1,692,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
1. Weather - This is the main reason my parents moved here. People really seem to underestimate the allure of good weather.
Except when it snows and people dont know how to drive and the city doesnt have any clue how to clean up the roads

Quote:
2. Low taxes.
Compared to NC maybe, not that great otherwise

Quote:
3. Natural beauty (rolling hills, tree coverage, blue skies).
Ok

Quote:
4. Up-and-coming - It's refreshing to see a lot of people care about the city and are putting in a lot of time and money to take it to the next level
Up and coming in the 1970's. Not now

Quote:
5. Lots of young and educated professionals.
Lots of young thugs and uneducated people too

Quote:
6. Pretty girls.
Ok

Quote:
7. Diverse economy (used to be able to say "good" and "growing").
debatable

Quote:
8. Good east-coast location.
Not really convienient to ANYWHERE. No major city except maybe Charlotte within a 8 hour drive.

Quote:
9. Beach within 5 hours, mountains within an hour.
If by beach you mean Tybee Island

Quote:
10. "Big-city" Feel and (recently) Amenities - Yeah, it's amenities are not as great as other cities, but at least they're getting better. We do have 4 major sports teams, which does say something.
Big city crime too.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:48 AM

29 posts, read 17,986 times
^^ was there a point to the above post?

Old 04-24-2011, 09:54 AM

719 posts, read 1,025,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddemonz View Post
I had this debate with some friends of mine, I asked them if the housing/rental prices were not as affordable as they are would you have still moved here?

I mean what else does Atlanta or Georgia have to offer? Whenever I ask somebody why did you move here the #1 answer is its CHEAP.

Would do you guys thinks?
Obviously what people are forgetting when asked this question is the fact that they moved here because it's affordable AND it offers a certain experience of big city life in modern day America. But the second half of that equation tends to quickly forgotten by most people (assuming they ever consciously even realized it), until finally they're left with a vague sense of ho hum, oh well, why did I move here again? Oh yeah, it was cheap. But that forgets that there was a REASON they didn't choose some other place that's equally or less cheap, like Biloxi, MS or Birmingham, AL, or Tulsa, OK, or even a mid-size city like Nashville or Charlotte in some cases. They wanted a BIG city, but one where they wouldn't have to live as a pauper in.

I suspect if you ask new transplants to New York City why they moved there, there's probably a similar, but inverted phenomenon. The question in that case would be "why did I move here even KNOWING how frickin expensive it is?" To which the answer would probably be something equally vague. Oh you know, it's NEW YORK!!! Why NOT live here. This is where it's AT!! It's got that je ne sait quoi. It's the ENERGY that's like nowhere else, yeah that's it, it's ENERGY! Well, could you explain what exactly that "energy" is? Uh, well, you know! That New York ENERGY!! Equally vague, you see.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
What do you mean, what do people do in the mountains? Have you never been? If not, you're missing out. Hikes, rafting, boating, enjoying beautiful vistas, enjoying peaceful quiet... There are a lot of many wonderful things to do in the mountains.
My brothers & I have been camping a few times with my dad..but I mean it was in Florida, not many mountains there. Plenty of water though. Been deep sea fishing wit my pops too...first time I got sick as hell...but used motion pills the other two times. Im normally solo...doubt my girl would wont to do the mountains...but shiiiiiii I still curious so maybe I will.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:10 PM

4,368 posts, read 2,630,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
My brothers & I have been camping a few times with my dad..but I mean it was in Florida, not many mountains there. Plenty of water though. Been deep sea fishing wit my pops too...first time I got sick as hell...but used motion pills the other two times. Im normally solo...doubt my girl would wont to do the mountains...but shiiiiiii I still curious so maybe I will.
Rent a cabin up in the Blue Ridge area, go tubing down the Tocoa River, wander around the quaint shops of downtown Blue Ridge, go apple picking... Heck, I bet she'd dig it!

Old 04-24-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Except when it snows and people dont know how to drive and the city doesnt have any clue how to clean up the roads

Compared to NC maybe, not that great otherwise

Ok

Up and coming in the 1970's. Not now

Lots of young thugs and uneducated people too

Ok

debatable

Not really convienient to ANYWHERE. No major city except maybe Charlotte within a 8 hour drive.

If by beach you mean Tybee Island

Big city crime too.
I want to add to number 8....I was going to mention I 95, but really thats not Atlanta fault. now Amtrak not connecting to Chicago or Miami is really weird. You got the New Orleans-DC line but a Chicago to Miami line going through Atlanta would be grade A. Are there many people from Miami or Chicago in Atlanta?? Not sure...but the eastcoast thing was a little off to me.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:34 PM

7,852 posts, read 12,216,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Rent a cabin up in the Blue Ridge area, go tubing down the Tocoa River, wander around the quaint shops of downtown Blue Ridge, go apple picking... Heck, I bet she'd dig it!
...camping, hiking, white water rafting, seeing one of the scenic waterfalls, sight-seeing, etc. Any kind of outdoor recreation or just enjoying nature.

The mountains have always given me a peaceful serenity that's different from anywhere else.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:04 PM

941 posts, read 257,552 times
welfare
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta