Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 01:13 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,224,618 times

Advertisements

This is a pretty interesting article...

Riverdale named Ga.’s most-affordable housing market

Riverdale named Ga.?s most-affordable housing market | Atlanta Business Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 03:01 PM

397 posts, read 843,272 times
What's interesting about it?

To me, it just looks like there has been a lack of demand for houses in places like Riverdale which keeps the cost down. If lots of people have been seeing Riverdale as a highly desirable place to live, then that would be reflected in higher real estate prices relative to other GA towns.

It just makes me ask more questions.
What are the nieghborhoods like?
How about the schools?

Old 06-15-2011, 07:21 PM

227 posts, read 494,793 times

Old 06-15-2011, 07:49 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
Lol... The article said Augusta is located in Columbia County and has a population of 47k people.. The average price is diffrent for some cities when you click on neighborhood info...

I'm just wondering what is the criteria being used.. They said Columbus is a community of 19k people..

Last edited by nortonguy; 06-15-2011 at 08:09 PM..

Old 06-15-2011, 08:48 PM

18 posts, read 37,412 times
I don't think anyone living in Riverdale is too worried about schools. Those prices are a bad sign, as these 65k houses are only going to get worse as they age. I'm afraid its going to get ugly around here, very ugly in some places. You can thank the bozo southern leaders (white and black) who planned for growth that would never stop. Whoops..

Old 06-15-2011, 09:00 PM

876 posts, read 2,278,549 times
Clayton County Public Schools had a lot do with the downward prices in the area along with the bad economy. bdawk, you can research that topic in this forum and find plenty of threads about Riverdale, Clayton, etc.

Keywords: Clayton County public school SACS accreditation issue.

My own opinion with knowing the area better than some: Riverdale is OK, but it is my least favorite area of Clayton County. Riverdale is convenient to downtown Atlanta, but would not be where I would want to live, too many apartments for one thing. Nearby Jonesboro or Morrow would be slightly better choices than Riverdale, and even then it is hit or miss.

Buyer beware.

Last edited by SW30303; 06-15-2011 at 09:36 PM..

Old 06-16-2011, 03:34 PM

397 posts, read 843,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW30303 View Post
Clayton County Public Schools had a lot do with the downward prices in the area along with the bad economy. bdawk, you can research that topic in this forum and find plenty of threads about Riverdale, Clayton, etc.

Keywords: Clayton County public school SACS accreditation issue.
Right. I thought that may have been the issue with schools there. Thanks.

So my point stands that houses are cheap there for a reason. It is not what most would call a good deal.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:39 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
GOOD DEAL?! Not on your life ... unless you consider living in a modern-day ghetto a good deal. Some neighborhoods start off nice and gradually decline. Riverdale has NEVER been particulary "nice," even when it was majority white. And in the past 15 years it has been made worse by greedy developers and property oweners who cared about nothing but making a quick buck on cheap, fall-down housing.

A good indication of the economic health of a community is the number of pawn shops, title pawn stores and check-cashing places that line its streets. And in Riverdale, those businesses are endless. The town, like most all of Clayton County now-- is a dump. The schools may have regained accreditation, but they are hardly desirable. The damage has been done.

Next door in Fayette County, law enforcement spends all their resources trying to keep the Clayton County riff-raff out. Read the papers, watch the news, look up the stats on the internet: Ninety percent (90 percent!) of all crime in Fayette County is perpetrated by scum coming in from Clayton and Fulton. And lest you think my comments are racist, just ask the thousands of well-to-do blacks who have moved to Fayette County in recent years trying to escape the crime and decline of other Southside Atlanta areas what they think of the situation: They are among the most vocal and staunch defenders of the "better life: that a place like Fayette County can offer compared to the crap that is Riverdale, etc. In a nutshell: IT'S ECONOMICS. You get what you pay for.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:00 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
GOOD DEAL?! Not on your life ... unless you consider living in a modern-day ghetto a good deal. Some neighborhoods start off nice and gradually decline. Riverdale has NEVER been particulary "nice," even when it was majority white. And in the past 15 years it has been made worse by greedy developers and property oweners who cared about nothing but making a quick buck on cheap, fall-down housing.

A good indication of the economic health of a community is the number of pawn shops, title pawn stores and check-cashing places that line its streets. And in Riverdale, those businesses are endless. The town, like most all of Clayton County now-- is a dump. The schools may have regained accreditation, but they are hardly desirable. The damage has been done.

Next door in Fayette County, law enforcement spends all their resources trying to keep the Clayton County riff-raff out. Read the papers, watch the news, look up the stats on the internet: Ninety percent (90 percent!) of all crime in Fayette County is perpetrated by scum coming in from Clayton and Fulton. And lest you think my comments are racist, just ask the thousands of well-to-do blacks who have moved to Fayette County in recent years trying to escape the crime and decline of other Southside Atlanta areas what they think of the situation: They are among the most vocal and staunch defenders of the "better life: that a place like Fayette County can offer compared to the crap that is Riverdale, etc. In a nutshell: IT'S ECONOMICS. You get what you pay for.
You really hit the nail on the head. If Fayette county could legally put an electric, barbed-wire fence around their county, they would have gladly done it yesterday. You can't really blame them though. I'm from Fayetteville and it's ridiculous that you need a stun gun (at least) to go see a movie in the Pavilion. The ghetto is getting way too close for comfort.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:39 AM

449 posts, read 1,176,047 times
Thank goodness I didn't purchase in Riverdale.

Crazy how that area has turned out with the gangs and violence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta