Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2011, 10:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,173 times

Advertisements

So, I accepted a fantastic job offer in Georgia. I currently live in northern Illinois (just north of Chicago) and am relocating to Duluth.

Help me out here, I'm from a stuffy suburb and I guess, a typical Yankee. I've already come to realize the weather is going to be vastly different, which is nice because I can't stand Chicago winters. I already absolutely love good barbecue and the Allman Bros, but I'm worried about moving into (from an outsiders perspective, mind you) what appears to be the heart of the south, and Bible belt (many apologies if that overtly stereotypical).

What can I expect? I don't have long to prepare, I report in May 2nd. Any tips would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 08:06 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4ri4h View Post
So, I accepted a fantastic job offer in Georgia. I currently live in northern Illinois (just north of Chicago) and am relocating to Duluth.

Help me out here, I'm from a stuffy suburb and I guess, a typical Yankee. I've already come to realize the weather is going to be vastly different, which is nice because I can't stand Chicago winters. I already absolutely love good barbecue and the Allman Bros, but I'm worried about moving into (from an outsiders perspective, mind you) what appears to be the heart of the south, and Bible belt (many apologies if that overtly stereotypical).

What can I expect? I don't have long to prepare, I report in May 2nd. Any tips would be appreciated!
Have you found housing in Duluth---that would be my first concern.

Pleasant Hill Rd in Duluth is diverse--primarily Asian, Korean.

A large number of Hispanics reside south of Pleasant Hill.

North of Pleasant Hill--moderate to very expensive homes can be found--many transplants live in the area.
Sugarloaf Country Club>>
http://www.sugarloafcc.com/

There are many churches and someday someone might invite you to their church.
lol--Do you enjoy fried catfish, coleslaw and hush puppies--that is the real question. There are some good places to fish--Lake Lanier is about 30 minutes away and North GA an hour or so.

hth

Old 04-23-2011, 12:38 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
You'll probably get more responses in the Atlanta forum...it's much more active than the general Georgia one.

The adjustment of moving from the suburbs of one large city to another should be very easy, depending on how easily you adjust. I don't believe that you'll find major differences between the two.

Yes, an unreasonable fear of life in the South is very common on city-data...and WAY overstated. That said, it's possible that you'll run into people of various viewpoints and various personalities. But that is a possiblity anywhere. You're moving to another American city/suburb, not another country. Everything will be okay.

Since when did yankees come from Chicago? I'm pretty sure it's a term reserved for people from the Northeast/New England.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:33 AM

115 posts, read 424,190 times
Where in Chicago? Big change from Evanston to Duluth. Not so big from the outer ring burbs. The main differences from very close north would be that Atlanta is much less "urban" (mass transit, dense development, sidewalks, etc.) Much more focused on the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta