U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 02:50 PM

9,913 posts, read 14,641,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
and stop blaming this on Atlanta drivers...i bet if I did a poll only %5 of the people in this thread was born in Atlanta
Haven't we done that one?

Would someone from elsewhere in Georgia count as a non-native?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 02:22 AM
Status: "Speaking gets your voice heard, but think beforehand." (set 26 days ago)

3,477 posts, read 3,688,775 times
Trust me, it's not just Atlanta. I myself included ALL of Georgia in my argument. For that matter, it's pretty much the southern region as a whole whether you're in North Florida (South Florida is a different beast all together), Alabama, North Carolina or Atlanta, Georgia.
Honestly, I believe drivers in Savannah, my hometown, are worse than Atlanta drivers. At least there are wide highways here. You can forget about that in Savannah (which has many highways in bad need of widening..GADOT? Hello?!).

Old 04-28-2011, 08:19 AM

71 posts, read 103,352 times
I dunno, it seems driver's around Atlanta have this mentality of "I have to be the first to get where I am going no matter who or what gets in my way". Very selfish drivers. While there are bad drivers everywhere, around here they are different...though I can't exactly put my finger on how.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:43 AM

7,852 posts, read 12,745,616 times
Read some of the past city-data threads on the topic of "bad drivers". Everybody seems to think that their city or state is the worst. It's kind of low on the maturity scale to definitively state that "my city has the best/worst ______________", don't ya think?

Old 04-28-2011, 11:52 AM

1,682 posts, read 2,350,263 times
I'm from California but I don't think I've ever seen a four-way flashing yellow. I would imagine that the cross traffic should get a flashing red.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:05 PM

285 posts, read 529,852 times
Has anyone driven from Atlanta to New Orleans? I did that recently and I'm pretty sure I encountered the worst drivers ever on that trip.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:32 PM
Status: "Speaking gets your voice heard, but think beforehand." (set 26 days ago)

When I drove in and around Mobile, Alabama, I encountered the worst drivers I had ever seen. Chattanooga was a close second. I thought they were worse than the drivers in Savannah. So, although there will be bad drivers no matter where you go, there are more uneducated drivers in certain areas compared to others. At least IMO.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:11 PM

4,747 posts, read 3,079,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdiotPilot View Post
I dunno, it seems driver's around Atlanta have this mentality of "I have to be the first to get where I am going no matter who or what gets in my way". Very selfish drivers. While there are bad drivers everywhere, around here they are different...though I can't exactly put my finger on how.
Give driving in Boston a shot. Talk about nutso!

Old 04-28-2011, 06:48 PM

7,739 posts, read 10,023,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Give driving in Boston a shot. Talk about nutso!
Did it for 15 years. I would gladly trade 128 or the Mass Pike for I-285 or I-75. IMO, there is a huge difference between driving in MA and driving in GA. While people in MA and elsewhere can have their moments, and there are bad drivers everywhere, by enlarge the following are true:

Most people in MA use turn signals. Most people in GA do not.

Most people in MA do not tailgate. Most people in GA do.

Most people in MA do not drive 10 to 20 miles over the speed limit. Many people in GA do (and the laws and insurance policies support doing it).

Most people in MA do not slam on their brakes at yellow lights. Many people in GA do.

Most people in MA go around people making a left turn and don't hold up everyone else. Most people in GA do not go around and hold up people.

Most roads in MA are patrolled by the State Police who enforce the laws. Most roads in GA are not.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Did it for 15 years. I would gladly trade 128 or the Mass Pike for I-285 or I-75. IMO, there is a huge difference between driving in MA and driving in GA. While people in MA and elsewhere can have their moments, and there are bad drivers everywhere, by enlarge the following are true:

Most people in MA use turn signals. Most people in GA do not.

Most people in MA do not tailgate. Most people in GA do.

Most people in MA do not drive 10 to 20 miles over the speed limit. Many people in GA do (and the laws and insurance policies support doing it).

Most people in MA do not slam on their brakes at yellow lights. Many people in GA do.

Most people in MA go around people making a left turn and don't hold up everyone else. Most people in GA do not go around and hold up people.

Most roads in MA are patrolled by the State Police who enforce the laws. Most roads in GA are not.
I agree with most of this, but as someone who has driven all over the country, I would say that just about everyone drives about 5-10mph over the posted limit. (Anything over that would be considered speeding in my opinion) Whether you're in Georgia, Massachusetts or California.
Also, there are many cops who patrol GA and enforce the speed limit if only for quota purposes. There are exceptions in Atlanta and Savannah though, so I've found out. (In other words, it seems as if cops are out more in rural areas as opposed to urban with some exceptions)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta