Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 07:26 PM

156 posts, read 433,434 times

Advertisements

So we were chatting with a police officer today (after thugs with pants around their ankles spat on my wife in our yard), and he said that the City is reducing the pensions of the police and there are internal talks of furloughs. With a down economy, Atlanta's violent laden culture, and summer fast approaching, the last thing we need is a reduction in police presence.

Please contact the mayor and your council person and let them know this is unacceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 07:46 PM

439 posts, read 852,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mceis View Post
So we were chatting with a police officer today (after thugs with pants around their ankles spat on my wife in our yard), and he said that the City is reducing the pensions of the police and there are internal talks of furloughs. With a down economy, Atlanta's violent laden culture, and summer fast approaching, the last thing we need is a reduction in police presence.

Please contact the mayor and your council person and let them know this is unacceptable.

If you dont mind sharing: where did this happen?

I understand and have been through enough in the city due to lack of law enforcement presence. However, the community can do wonders to avoid this kind of animosity.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:30 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mceis View Post

The Mayor is the one who decided to revamp the pensions. FYI.

The better bet might be to email the White House and push the President into passing a Federal law that bans any State, City, or County from cutting Police/Fire/EMC service to balance their budgets. Public safety should NEVER be a consideration when they're trying to balance the books, but it's usually the easiest for them to cut, so they do.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:42 PM

449 posts, read 1,175,536 times
They can cut back 12 all they want.

That gives me a better chance at excelling in my extracirricular activities

Old 04-24-2011, 08:42 PM

156 posts, read 433,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
The Mayor is the one who decided to revamp the pensions. FYI.

The better bet might be to email the White House and push the President into passing a Federal law that bans any State, City, or County from cutting Police/Fire/EMC service to balance their budgets. Public safety should NEVER be a consideration when they're trying to balance the books, but it's usually the easiest for them to cut, so they do.
You are completely right. These services should always be the last resort. Tax revenues increase when businesses and consumers feel safe.

Regardless, the City needs to hear from all of us that the police (and we) don't deserve this. There have to be special interests that can be cut before this. An increase in crime will be devastating to our local economy. I already have sent my email to the City.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:53 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
The 2011 budget includes funds for an additional 100 police officers and provides a raise to police and firefighters.

Atlanta City Council Adopts Fiscal year 2011 Budget (http://www.atlantaga.gov/media/nr_2011budget_062510.aspx - broken link)

Mayor Kasim Reed’s major initiatives approved in $559M budget that includes funding for 100 new officers, 3.5 percent pay increase for public safety personnel, $3.7 million for Centers of Hope,
and increases City’s cash reserves

(http://www.atlantaga.gov/media/nr_2011budget_062510.aspx - broken link)

Old 04-25-2011, 07:40 AM

3,708 posts, read 5,982,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The 2011 budget includes funds for an additional 100 police officers and provides a raise to police and firefighters.

Atlanta City Council Adopts Fiscal year 2011 Budget (http://www.atlantaga.gov/media/nr_2011budget_062510.aspx - broken link)

Mayor Kasim Reed’s major initiatives approved in $559M budget that includes funding for 100 new officers, 3.5 percent pay increase for public safety personnel, $3.7 million for Centers of Hope,
and increases City’s cash reserves

(http://www.atlantaga.gov/media/nr_2011budget_062510.aspx - broken link)
Thank you, arjay.

Cutting back police pensions and cutting back on services are totally different matters. Considering the pensions are bloated as they are, and were increased by previous administrations to unsustainable levels as a political move, I'm A-OK with paring them back to a reasonable level. I'm not trying to shirk the responsibility to provide for retirement of these guys, but I'm interested in getting services for my tax dollars, not gold-plating someone's already generous pension. I understand the existing cops won't like this.

From what I've heard of the issue, I would commend Mayor Reed for what he's doing here.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:00 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
There's no question that getting the city's pensions under control is a painful process. They were increased massively with no real citizen input at a time when many residents were already feeling the pinch of a weakening economy and it was evident that the city's tax base would not be sufficient to pay those increases.

We're a city with virtually the exact same population we had 10 years ago but with new pension obligations that have suddenly increased several times over. Meanwhile, residents have been taking major hits. Property values are way down. Foreclosure and unemployment rates are high. A large percentage of the population (20-40%, depending on how you define it) is below the poverty line. Vacancy rates are very high in significant parts of the city.

If the city doesn't get pensions under control, we'll be spending about 40% of every tax dollar on them within a few years.

I'd love for everybody to have more money and more generous pensions. But I'm not sure how any one group can get special treatment when the pie is shrinking and everybody else is getting hammered.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:09 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
There's no question that getting the city's pensions under control is a painful process. They were increased massively with no real citizen input at a time when many residents were already feeling the pinch of a weakening economy and it was evident that the city's tax base would not be sufficient to pay those increases.

We're a city with virtually the exact same population we had 10 years ago but with new pension obligations that have suddenly increased several times over. Meanwhile, residents have been taking major hits. Property values are way down. Foreclosure and unemployment rates are high. A large percentage of the population (20-40%, depending on how you define it) is below the poverty line. Vacancy rates are very high in significant parts of the city.

If the city doesn't get pensions under control, we'll be spending about 40% of every tax dollar on them within a few years.

I'd love for everybody to have more money and more generous pensions. But I'm not sure how any one group can get special treatment when the pie is shrinking and everybody else is getting hammered.
Budget cutting is always painful...where do people suggest we make cuts? Education? Medicaid? There is never an easy solution when it comes to cutting services.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:34 PM

969 posts, read 1,958,503 times
Once the police start doing a better job here and crime decreases to half of what it is now, then they can get their bloated pensions. But right now, no and we could use that money to hire more officers or repave the roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta