Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 11:31 AM

957 posts, read 3,355,694 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Chicago to Atlanta at the end of June and wanted to know if any of you can recommend a good, fast and reliable internet service provider in the Atlanta area? When i move into my new home, I am i hoping that i can get the Wi-Fi setup within day or two so that i work from my home office right away.

I run an web based business so i am looking for a way to minimize the distruption to my business in a smooth manner. I've looked in the new Mi-Fi from ATT where i can access the internet from anywhere, but the speed seems to be a bit slow.

Also I have an ATT iphone but the reception is horrible in Chicago. I was wondering if ATT's signal strength is strong (no drop calls) in the northern Atlanta area where i can rely on my cell phone without getting a LAN line. If Verizon's signal is stronger in Atlanta, I may convert to Verizon.

I would appreciate any advice from the Atlanta residents.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 11:44 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Having used both AT&T DSL and Comcast Cable Internet service, I would recommend Comcast. AT&T Wireless has pretty reliable reception in the area.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:56 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Dont do Clear whatever you do.Its a ripoff.As much as I hate Comcast,its the best and the most reliable.Their customer service seems to have improved quite a bit also.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:11 PM

My closing date on my new home is in June 30th, 2011. Will I be up and ready for internet access for my home by July 1st with Comcast? Is a LAN line required to have intenet access with comcast. I believe that ATT requires this? The ideal setup for me would be Comcast for Wi-Fi access in the home and ATT wireless cell phones without the need of a LAN line.

Thanks to those who responded.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:21 PM

In what aspects would you say that Comcast is better than AT&T DSL. I ask because I've used AT&T for the past 7 years. I am also seeing some negative reviews on the internet that Comcast provides some teaser rate and then continues to bill in some unethical ways. Has your personal expereince with Comcast been very positive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Having used both AT&T DSL and Comcast Cable Internet service, I would recommend Comcast. AT&T Wireless has pretty reliable reception in the area.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:01 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,146 times
ATT does not require a land line for dsl anymore. One of the concessions for the ATT/Bellsouth merger was this. I have dsl only with no landline.

Does the house currently have Comcast service? That would let you know how quick you will able to get service to your home. July 1 is a Fri so you may have to wait till Mon or Tues.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:24 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
In what aspects would you say that Comcast is better than AT&T DSL. I ask because I've used AT&T for the past 7 years. I am also seeing some negative reviews on the internet that Comcast provides some teaser rate and then continues to bill in some unethical ways. Has your personal expereince with Comcast been very positive?
I've had both AT&T and Comcast and have had satisfactory experience with both. You get higher speeds with Comcast, although AT&T is fine for most purposes.

I've never tried streaming Netflix movies with AT&T but I'm told they can handle it.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:33 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,889,338 times
I recently switched from DSL to AT&T UVerse. We have the highest speed of internet they offer (24 Meg down) and a VoIP phone line, but no TV. Since you already have AT&T for mobile phone I believe you may be able to get an even better deal than we got - same goes if you want the TV service. If your new home is in a UVerse service area, I recommend you check this option out. So far, we're very pleased with it.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:24 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
I recently switched from DSL to AT&T UVerse. We have the highest speed of internet they offer (24 Meg down) and a VoIP phone line, but no TV.
I'm jealous .

I wish, they would show their coverage map for this. Its seem very high or miss to get U Verse yet, they have commericals like crazy for it.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:48 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
Most service issues are location specific - that is the age of the infrastucture. Where I live, my ATT DSL constantly experienced service disruptions. However, Comcast doesn't drop out nearly as much. And, I have found that despite it's reputation, Comcast customer service has been very good. Hence, I vote for Comcast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta