U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 04-29-2011, 01:26 PM
 
2,397 posts, read 2,077,408 times
Reputation: 1195

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I certainly do think adults should be held accountable for their actions...as long as they are not mentally challenged in some way. My point throughout this thread has been that children are not held to the same standards as adults because they are not fully developed mentally, and that includes children who commit criminal acts.
They should be charged, just like an adult. Fifteen and Sixteen year olds know right from wrong. They're aware of what they're doing.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-29-2011, 01:33 PM
 
7,852 posts, read 12,625,813 times
Reputation: 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
They should be charged, just like an adult. Fifteen and Sixteen year olds know right from wrong. They're aware of what they're doing.
Well, they aren't normally charged as an adult. Of course children are aware of what they are doing, but their brains are not fully developed as in the case of an adult. This is a scientific fact, and our laws reflect this fact. I guess you could start a crusade to have the legal age of consent dropped to 15, but I doubt you would get much public support for it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2011, 01:42 PM
 
2,397 posts, read 2,077,408 times
Reputation: 1195
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Well, they aren't normally charged as an adult. Of course children are aware of what they are doing, but their brains are not fully developed as in the case of an adult. This is a scientific fact, and our laws reflect this fact. I guess you could start a crusade to have the legal age of consent dropped to 15, but I doubt you would get much public support for it.
I'm aware that their brains are not fully developed. However, for extreme crimes, such as beating up people in a mob-like fashion, or committing acts of murder, their brains, no matter how less developed, will not allow them to commit such acts. Some things are so extreme that a person's immaturity can't allow them to commit such acts. Stupid minor misbehavior, irrational actions, etc., sure.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2011, 01:45 PM
 
479 posts, read 374,649 times
Reputation: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Well, they aren't normally charged as an adult. Of course children are aware of what they are doing, but their brains are not fully developed as in the case of an adult. This is a scientific fact, and our laws reflect this fact. I guess you could start a crusade to have the legal age of consent dropped to 15, but I doubt you would get much public support for it.
Their bodies arent "fully developed" either, but they can still do everything an adult can, and often much better.

No one here is arguing about changing the legal age of consent. Good lord. Its a repulsive idea.

But I can tell that if I was being viciously attacked by a "child" I sure wouldnt behave any differently than if it were an adult.

Victims of crimes dont get to choose the age of their perp. While all children are allowed some childish indiscretions, serious crimes are not things that can be treated lightly -- if only because its not fair to victims, whom under you would apparently have no opportunity for justice if criminailized by children.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2011, 02:06 PM
 
7,852 posts, read 12,625,813 times
Reputation: 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
Their bodies arent "fully developed" either, but they can still do everything an adult can, and often much better.

No one here is arguing about changing the legal age of consent. Good lord. Its a repulsive idea.

But I can tell that if I was being viciously attacked by a "child" I sure wouldnt behave any differently than if it were an adult.

Victims of crimes dont get to choose the age of their perp. While all children are allowed some childish indiscretions, serious crimes are not things that can be treated lightly -- if only because its not fair to victims, whom under you would apparently have no opportunity for justice if criminailized by children.
The age of consent is not set only for some situations...it's intended for situations like this too. You guys are skirting the issue in your responses. In our legal system and our society, children are not treated as adults...and you can't just throw that out because you think it shouldn't apply in certain cases. Despite your thoughts on the legal age for adult consent, it is already decided by our laws.

Children who commit crimes are handled by the juvenile justice systemit, not the adult justice system. It was established over 100 years ago because of the realization that children are not adults and we needed a separate system of punishment/rehabilitation. I'm sure you don't want to revert back to the 1800s way of life...and that's where we would be headed with your philosophy.

To get this thread back to reality, these children didn't commit murder. The crime, as is any crime, was reprehensible and they should be punished...but punish the adults as adults and the children as children.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2011, 09:21 AM
 
Location: ATL
4,688 posts, read 3,476,618 times
Reputation: 1804
Good!

Woman who punched officer at IHOP now has felony charges *| ajc.com
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2011, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
2,803 posts, read 2,353,961 times
Reputation: 1460
I hear ya DeaconJ, and I agree with this, even if others on this forum are unwilling or unable to to reconcile themselves to the inherent contradictions in granting a child the label of "adult" for the sake of booking him/her with an assault/theft crime....yet saying that the same child is a "child" when it comes to a sex crime.

There needs to be a common standard for adulthood & some consistent criteria to go along with the labeling of a person as an "adult".

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I certainly do think adults should be held accountable for their actions...as long as they are not mentally challenged in some way. My point throughout this thread has been that children are not held to the same standards as adults because they are not fully developed mentally, and that includes children who commit criminal acts.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2011, 10:13 PM
 
416 posts, read 622,923 times
Reputation: 281
I guarantee you that I can guess the background of everyone posting here, by their remarks.
I think we can safely presume that those who are of the same background of the perps are the ones calling for more understanding for the "youth", and for them to NOT be tried as adults.
I bet your tune would change if a GANG of Neo-Nazis Aryan-Nations or KKK who were underage, . . . attacked some poor black share-cropper and beat him senseless and robbed him. (yes, you would be calling for the death sentence, and reparations to be paid)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2011, 11:13 PM
 
864 posts, read 390,478 times
Reputation: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by nb1968 View Post
I guarantee you that I can guess the background of everyone posting here, by their remarks.
I think we can safely presume that those who are of the same background of the perps are the ones calling for more understanding for the "youth", and for them to NOT be tried as adults.
I bet your tune would change if a GANG of Neo-Nazis Aryan-Nations or KKK who were underage, . . . attacked some poor black share-cropper and beat him senseless and robbed him. (yes, you would be calling for the death sentence, and reparations to be paid)
Misguided racist youth? I'd blame the parents since 9/10 they learned from them and want them to not only serve juevy time but get re-educated out the ignorance that the parent's put in them and not let them out until its gone.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2011, 11:53 PM
 
27,035 posts, read 22,475,325 times
Reputation: 7598
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
What really needs to be done is to have more responsibility placed on accurate media reporting. There are WAY too many reports of crime "at" or "near" a MARTA station that aren't either. These sensationalized stories create a false perception of danger in and around MARTA. Yes, crime can happen in a station or on a train...but in reality it is a rare occurrence.

Security cameras on trains sound like a good idea to me. Just the presence of them might deter situations like this one.
I haven't watched closely in a long time. I don't watch much TV these days. The only way I hear of these reports if via the internet, and most of the time, I am not looking for them.

I like the security camera idea. It isn't the only solution, but it's a start.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top