Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 10:31 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
Greg I generally agree, but there has to be a cut off age...I think it should be 18, unless we are willing to give 16 year olds the right to vote. If we want the punishment to be adult like, then we must acknowledge the privileges we have as adults. 18 should be the age for everything adult related including drinking....
I kinda doubt there would be any of the same sentiment if a 30 year-old had been discovered having sex with this 16 year-old...no matter how "adult" a child looks or seems, he is still a child until the generally accepted age of 18.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 01:57 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Why doesn't MARTA have security cameras recording on a loop? They aren't that expensive...?

Old 04-26-2011, 02:05 PM

416 posts, read 1,090,067 times
Thumbs down Do the Crime, DO the TIME regardless of age or growing up in the ghetto or how your daddy walked out on you and mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
Greg I generally agree, but there has to be a cut off age...I think it should be 18, unless we are willing to give 16 year olds the right to vote. If we want the punishment to be adult like, then we must acknowledge the privileges we have as adults. 18 should be the age for everything adult related including drinking....
Not meant as a personal attack, . . .
BUT
I am SICK of this type of bleeding heart liberal thinking.
If you can HURT another person, then you should get the full punishment ! ! !
Are the damages and wounds to the victim ANY LESS SEVERE BECAUSE THE PERP WAS UNDERAGE ???!?!?!
Quit excusing them and letting them off. Throw the BOOK at these worthless POS's.
Further Stanea's comments are completely insensitive and CLUELESS !!
I want her fired ! ! !

Old 04-26-2011, 02:12 PM

105 posts, read 202,349 times
^I thought Stanea was the victim?

Old 04-26-2011, 02:13 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
The two guys whose pictures are in the paper sure don't look like a couple of kids.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:15 PM

19 posts, read 24,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris View Post
I just heard on Channel 2 that three suspects have been arrested regarding the MARTA attack...their ages are 20, 19 and 16. In addition, a warrant is also out for a 14 year old male.

I am glad to hear progress is being made in this sad disturbing case.
First of all, if you wanna act like a tough guy at 14, 15, 16, 17, then you should deal with the adult consequences and have your face and name put on blast.

This is the second story I have read about today involving 14YOs 'allegedly' committing violent crimes. Where are these kids' parents??? When I was 14, it was school, sports and straight home. Both my parents worked and called at 3:15 to make sure all the kids were home, on the days that my mother wasn't able to pick us up at school. My curfew on the weekends, was sunset. Even then, I had to give my parents a play by play of where I was going. I'm 34 so it wasn't THAT long ago. How sad that parenting has become so carefree.

I hope they catch all the little thugs involved and throw them in jail for a long time. I have a feeling MARTA is trying to gloss over the story in order to not scare passengers. I have been on MARTA a few times when I had a job assignment in Atlanta and it wasn't a pleasant experience. I feel for those folks who need to take that train everyday to get to/from work.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:36 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I hate it when they say things like one of those arrested being 16 so they "can't" give out his name because he's a juvenile. Isn't he old enough to drive a 2000lb motor vehicle on the highways? To me, that's a young adult, not a child. Likewise, if you commit an adult crime, your name/face should be displayed exactly the same as any adult who would have committed that crime as well.
Gotta agree with you, but I think a cutoff age of 13 or 14 is appropriate. At some point it's the parents' fault in large part, but at some point a person must be held responsible for their own decisions.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:59 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Gotta agree with you, but I think a cutoff age of 13 or 14 is appropriate. At some point it's the parents' fault in large part, but at some point a person must be held responsible for their own decisions.
At 13 or 14? Really? I can't imagine treating a child of that age as an adult in any situation. They aren't adults...I think that is a generally accepted fact.

One of the real problems is that if we put kids in prison and effectively give up on them, what kind of future can we expect them to have? I would hope that there is a better solution than that, otherwise we would just be creating lifetime criminals at a very early age. With the right assistance, they still have a chance to turn things around.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:07 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
At 13 or 14? Really? I can't imagine treating a child of that age as an adult in any situation. They aren't adults...I think that is a generally accepted fact.

One of the real problems is that if we put kids in prison and effectively give up on them, what kind of future can we expect them to have? I would hope that there is a better solution than that, otherwise we would just be creating lifetime criminals at a very early age. With the right assistance, they still have a chance to turn things around.
I know. I would prefer a better solution, too. Unfortunately, I am not nearly smart enough to imagine a solution - our current judicial and penal systems are strapped for money, recidivism is terrifically high and family support systems are often times non-existent or ineffective at best. I just worry that folks who intentionally hurt others will be likely to do so again. I'd rather have a kid in a juvenile detention center than another hurt person. And, until we, as a society, begin to get serious about fixing our social ills, I cannot think of an alternative. Yes, it's far, far from idea...

Old 04-26-2011, 05:26 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Why doesn't MARTA have security cameras recording on a loop? They aren't that expensive...?
Where did you hear differently?

Its like GDOT not recording their cameras either, if true...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: