Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 11:08 AM

479 posts, read 703,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
Sue society?um no.

So you think a child is mature enough to make a sound decision to sell their bodies for drugs? I guess you think pedophiles are with their rights. It's the child's decision right?
Good lord. Reach much? Sure, I believe in the rights of child molesters, rapists, serial killers and little old lady beater-upers. Your "interpretation" is spot on!

Let me surmise my position so its easy to comprehend:

People are people, and responsible for their actions - no matter their circumstances.
If the courts gage that an individual has been coerced beyond their ability to resist, Ok (the first time)
Otherwise, you are responsible for what you do. And my neighbor is responsible for what he or she does. And so on....

Sorry, I know that is some rough justice. So unfair to hold individuals accountable for their own actions, isnt it? But unfortunately its the only way we can have a well-functioning society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 11:32 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
This is what I am particularly afraid. In the suburbs of the Atlanta area, there is an undercurrent of anti-MARTA sentiment. Some people I have talked to state that crime is what they are afraid of. I am afraid of stuff like this happening on MARTA trains because it gives the anti-MARTA persons more reasons to say no to it. I would support it coming out to Cobb County, Gwinnett County and other counties.
What needs to be done is to have more crime control on the mass transit systems. Why not have more security on the trains and more police?

Old 04-29-2011, 11:48 AM

864 posts, read 1,123,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
Good lord. Reach much? Sure, I believe in the rights of child molesters, rapists, serial killers and little old lady beater-upers. Your "interpretation" is spot on!

Let me surmise my position so its easy to comprehend:

People are people, and responsible for their actions - no matter their circumstances.
If the courts gage that an individual has been coerced beyond their ability to resist, Ok (the first time)
Otherwise, you are responsible for what you do. And my neighbor is responsible for what he or she does. And so on....

Sorry, I know that is some rough justice. So unfair to hold individuals accountable for their own actions, isnt it? But unfortunately its the only way we can have a well-functioning society.
If child is coerced twice into selling their bodies they are at fault. I see now.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:48 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is what I am particularly afraid. In the suburbs of the Atlanta area, there is an undercurrent of anti-MARTA sentiment. Some people I have talked to state that crime is what they are afraid of. I am afraid of stuff like this happening on MARTA trains because it gives the anti-MARTA persons more reasons to say no to it. I would support it coming out to Cobb County, Gwinnett County and other counties.
What needs to be done is to have more crime control on the mass transit systems. Why not have more security on the trains and more police?
What really needs to be done is to have more responsibility placed on accurate media reporting. There are WAY too many reports of crime "at" or "near" a MARTA station that aren't either. These sensationalized stories create a false perception of danger in and around MARTA. Yes, crime can happen in a station or on a train...but in reality it is a rare occurrence.

Security cameras on trains sound like a good idea to me. Just the presence of them might deter situations like this one.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
If child is coerced twice into selling their bodies they are at fault. I see now.
It's no use...some people are just under the impression that all humans should be held responsible for their actions - even children. We know that children are not mentally developed like adults, but apparently some people don't quite understand.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:04 PM

479 posts, read 703,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It's no use...some people are just under the impression that all humans should be held responsible for their actions - .
What if we take the "even children" out of your quote? Do you believe that its unfair to hold ALL humans responsible for their actions?

If you do, we are sooo incredibly far apart in our basic understanding of humanity...scary.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:08 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
If a 15 year old beats up another 15 year old, should neither of their names get released, the name of the attacker only, or both names?

Old 04-29-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
What if we take the "even children" out of your quote? Do you believe that its unfair to hold ALL humans responsible for their actions?

If you do, we are sooo incredibly far apart in our basic understanding of humanity...scary.
I certainly do think adults should be held accountable for their actions...as long as they are not mentally challenged in some way. My point throughout this thread has been that children are not held to the same standards as adults because they are not fully developed mentally, and that includes children who commit criminal acts.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
If a 15 year old beats up another 15 year old, should neither of their names get released, the name of the attacker only, or both names?
I think this situation has a lot of variables involved that aren't mentioned, so there is no clear answer.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:22 PM

7th suspect arrested in MARTA train attack *| ajc.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: