Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 11:38 AM

4 posts, read 5,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Too violent...plus it would attract the fairy-tale creature element and disrupt the classy people. Mayem would ensue.

How about a John Wayne flick? You know, perhaps one that displays all the good honest Atlanta values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 11:46 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebo3 View Post
How about a John Wayne flick? You know, perhaps one that displays all the good honest Atlanta values.
With all the guns and machoism? That's an incident waiting to happen.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:10 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,513,836 times
How about Gone with the Wind? It could have an element of audience participation and historical accuracy by giving everyone a lit torch afterwards and setting fire to Atlanta.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:20 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,532,965 times
They should show Atlas Shrugged.....

Old 04-28-2011, 09:51 AM

32,020 posts, read 36,777,542 times
It's truly absurd that Atlanta can't have a benign event like this without a bunch of stupid rednecks showing their hind quarters. An outdoor movie on a fine Spring evening on Atlanta's front lawn is the kind of urban happening that marks a true city. If we can't get this sort of bush league behavior under control we might as well throw in the towel.

I guess we'll need to bring in more cops, but my question is why can't Atlanta citizens simply behave with courtesy and respect?

Old 04-28-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
How about Gone with the Wind? It could have an element of audience participation and historical accuracy by giving everyone a lit torch afterwards and setting fire to Atlanta.
GWTW is the only acceptable film for showing to large, outdoor groups in Atlanta.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It's truly absurd that Atlanta can't have a benign event like this without a bunch of stupid rednecks showing their hind quarters. An outdoor movie on a fine Spring evening on Atlanta's front lawn is the kind of urban happening that marks a true city. If we can't get this sort of bush league behavior under control we might as well throw in the towel.

I guess we'll need to bring in more cops, but my question is why can't Atlanta citizens simply behave with courtesy and respect?
It was under control for years prior to the recent issues. I think that any event that grows in popularity as this one has, especially being free of charge, will eventually attract a negative element. Sad, but true.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:22 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It was under control for years prior to the recent issues. I think that any event that grows in popularity as this one has, especially being free of charge, will eventually attract a negative element. Sad, but true.
Not necessarily. There are dozens of free outdoor movies and concerts in NYC every week during summer. They are everywhere from Bryant Park to Brooklyn and enormous crowds of all types of people attend them. I don't recall any incidents like the Screen on the Green debacle happening at any of them.

Why can't Atlanta put on its big boy pants when it comes to stuff like this? It really starts to affect the quality of life when you can't go out and enjoy things like this without worrying about worthless trash.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Not necessarily. There are dozens of free outdoor movies and concerts in NYC every week during summer. They are everywhere from Bryant Park to Brooklyn and enormous crowds of all types of people attend them. I don't recall any incidents like the Screen on the Green debacle happening at any of them.

Why can't Atlanta put on its big boy pants when it comes to stuff like this? It really starts to affect the quality of life when you can't go out and enjoy things like this without worrying about worthless trash.
I didn't say that there is always violence at free outdoor events everywhere, but that there is always a chance of them attracting a negative element. It may be true that NYC has had similar events with no problems (so had Atlanta until last year), but that doesn't indict Atlanta nor does it mean that there won't be a problem in the future in NYC. My point was that free events growing in popularity have the possibility of attracting a less-than-desirable element, whether in Atlanta/NYC/or other.

There are several large events like SOTG in Atlanta each year that occur without violence. Are you seriously trying to say that this isn't true? Are you also saying that other cities don't have their share of "worthless trash" who sometimes cause problems for the good citizens? It's okay to be critical, but you want to be sure you're not being OVERLY critical...and that's the way this sounds.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:42 AM

32,020 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
That's been my experience, too. I've been to outdoor movies in other cities and if there has been idiocy like this I wasn't aware of it.

Strictly bush league.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta