Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 09:33 AM

71 posts, read 202,756 times

Advertisements

Clever idea...just wish it wasn't a hipsters idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 02:37 PM

187 posts, read 403,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
just like a hipster to take things so damn seriously...

I wish I could get excited enough about a guy going around putting cat magnets up in sketchy parts of town to proclaim it as Atlanta's long-awaited triumphant arrival on the international arts scene but...I just don't see the big deal.

Who's is picturing Atlanta as void of any culture? I'm going to have to agree with Alinka that that statement sounds a bit insecure. This city has drawn artists and other creative types for a long time. Unfortunately at the moment, it has drawn more than its fair share of hipsters whose medium includes spray paint and other peoples' property. The Catlanta guy may not do that exactly but I can't help but associate him with that crowd. Hopefully at least some other folks in that movement will adopt his non-property defacing techniques.

Like I said, cartoons and scribbles. Squidbillies and Vomet. That's the category this type of "art" falls under in my opinion along with chest and full-sleeve tattoos.

Also, I'm as rabid as any vinyl collector out there but I find the fact that you bring up the fact that we celebrate Record Store Day as some sort of indicator that Atlanta is a cutting edge arts city hilarious. Minot, ND celebrates Record Store Day.

YouTube - Smug Alert (Commentary)

Old 04-27-2011, 02:39 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Whats up with all of the negativity? This is a cool story/"happening" no matter what. Must every single effing thing about Atlanta be viewed in a negative light? Geez.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Whats up with all of the negativity? This is a cool story/"happening" no matter what. Must every single effing thing about Atlanta be viewed in a negative light? Geez.
Amen. Its exhausting to deal with. I know some people use the internet to vent, but there is a difference between venting and raining on a parade. Even something as benign as Catlanta/Atlanta's growing street art community is turned into something negative.

I dont associate with negative nancys in real life, but thats not really possible to do online (unless you get ignore-list click-happy). I just wish there was some way to filter them in the Atlanta forum so not every positive story is used as a chance take cheap shots at Atlanta and those who care about it.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:28 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,529,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkwoodhipster View Post
Amen. Its exhausting to deal with. I know some people use the internet to vent, but there is a difference between venting and raining on a parade. Even something as benign as Catlanta/Atlanta's growing street art community is turned into something negative.

I dont associate with negative nancys in real life, but thats not really possible to do online (unless you get ignore-list click-happy). I just wish there was some way to filter them in the Atlanta forum so not every positive story is used as a chance take cheap shots at Atlanta and those who care about it.
I wasn't so much taking cheap shots at Atlanta as I was at you.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I wasn't so much taking cheap shots at Atlanta as I was at you.

Whatever makes you feel better about yourself.

Its not surprising you have a problem with me. After all, if you have a problem with magnets, what dont you have a problem with?

Old 04-27-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinka72 View Post
I cannot imagine what Atlanta was in 1996 cause I was not even in Atlanta then, so your point, if any, is moot. It is provincial now, imagine then.
Right. San Francisco still has hippies protesting in the streets. Chicago is still run by the Italian mafia. Seattle is still grungy. Detorit is still growing and economically healthy. New York City is still dangerous. And Atlanta is still provincial.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:01 AM

71 posts, read 202,756 times
One was posted up about 3 miles from my house last night on flickr and went over...but alas, it was already gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta