Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2011, 08:48 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,218,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
He went overboard; all of those hits and punches wasn't needed. Dude is at least pushing 300 LBs and the woman looks to be nothing over about 140. He didn't need to do all that.
I get tired of this lame excuse. All it does is encourage bad behavior from females, and give them a reason to claim victim status and a "get off the hook" free pass, something of which is never given to men. If you're going to mess up, you get the same consequences.

I'm also sure that there is more to this story. Likely, the group of females were behaving in an irrational manner, the cop commented on it, and the females were belligerent and disrespectful. I wouldn't doubt if they had spent the night out drinking large amounts of alcohol and were trying to gain their soberness by having "coffee". Seriously, who goes to IHOP for only coffee? I suppose they could be doing such just to continue their night out on the town, but doing such really amounts to loitering and taking up space, a sign of disrespect to the IHOP staff. Overall, really, they likely were up to no good. Now that they've sobered up, they want to claim victim-status and appear before the media, trying to claim that they're the victims, when the true victim of all this mess is likely the cop who was trying to do his job, who got involved in a bad situation with uncooperative females, who laid their hands on him, hitting him, and he reflexively punched back. When a male puts his hand on a cop or punches and slaps at a cop, no one is going to claim that the men punched by the cop is a victim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 09:05 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Wow, I guess I'm primitive for thinking that a man has no business roughhousing a female who's not directly threatening his safety. And even if the first woman was being loud and belligerent, why in the world did he grab her hair and push her up against the wall? This cop needs training on how to better handle situations like this because it was 100% unprofessional if you ask me.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:14 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Wow, I guess I'm primitive for thinking that a man has no business roughhousing a female who's not directly threatening his safety. And even if the first woman was being loud and belligerent, why in the world did he grab her hair and push her up against the wall? This cop needs training on how to better handle situations like this because it was 100% unprofessional if you ask me.
I thought one of the charges against someone was 'public drunkness'--I assume they did a sobriety test?

Without much verifiable information it seems that there could have been alternative means to resolving the situation.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I thought one of the charges against someone was 'public drunkness'--I assume they did a sobriety test?

Without much verifiable information it seems that there could have been alternative means to resolving the situation.
Based on the behavior of the patrons, one could come to a somewhat reasonable conclusion that they were drunk but I agree wholeheartedly that the situation could have been resolved better. All of the punching and grabbing of hair by the officer just appears to have been extremely excessive.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:18 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,218,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
The cop likely asked the black girl to come with him, to which she refused to do what he asked. It was at that point that he used force, entirely justifiable, to remove the person to the location where he had requested.

What does size have to do with anything? If you put your hands on an officer, why does being a female get special treatment? Men who do such things aren't being told that to do such behavior and then get hit is unjustified.

I would say that such thinking is characteristic of the "White Knight" syndrome applied erroneously to a situation in which it should have no place.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:28 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
There were many eye-witnesses to the entire incident, and I highly doubt that all of them were impaired. The truth will come out, and blame will be placed.

From what I saw on the video, the women were being disrespectful initially and the woman who got punched had physically attacked the officer. That's not to say that he didn't do anything wrong, but the charges against her should definitely stand. There may be charges against both, we'll have to wait and see.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:33 AM

5 posts, read 28,816 times
I looked at the video and I swear I wonder what you guys were seeing! I think the only thing that makes you assume it's ok is the uniform. If any other big sweaty guy was all over some girls like that, we'd wonder why. I sure do because I've seen 2 video's of this and no inciting incident to cause him to be all over the first two. If they did something so bad, why did he so quicky abandon them? I read in the news the cause of this was the girls were too loud. Being too loud is a reason to have a guy all over you? As for the 3rd woman, if you look carefully, she never swung on him until he slapped her face. You never know how someone will react to that. Her reaction was to swing. Not the smartest given his size and obvious aggression he was already showing. That still doesn't change that he hit her first. His uniform doesn't make him right in everything. Even his fellow officer was trying to restrain him.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:38 AM

5 posts, read 28,816 times
Oh and it is not illegal to be disrespectful to police. They can't arrest you or assault you for that. Many people seem to be suggesting that their crime was being disrespectful to the P.O. This is the USA where we have the right to be nice or be an ass as long as we don't hurt other people physically.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:41 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereeray View Post
Oh and it is not illegal to be disrespectful to police. They can't arrest you or assault you for that. Many people seem to be suggesting that their crime was being disrespectful to the P.O. This is the USA where we have the right to be nice or be an ass as long as we don't hurt other people physically.
It's not exactly illegal...it's really stupid though, and there are normally other reasons that someone doing so can be arrested.

The owner of the establishment had asked the officer to remove the disruptive women. I believe the owner has that right, and at some point they would have been trespassing if they didn't leave on their own.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
The cop likely asked the black girl to come with him, to which she refused to do what he asked. It was at that point that he used force, entirely justifiable, to remove the person to the location where he had requested.
All of this is pure speculation. PURE speculation. And if the first woman was being belligerent and refused to leave if asked, he could have simply arrested her for disorderly conduct. Force her up and put the cuffs on her and get her out of there. Instead, what he did looks like he was in a wrestling cage match or something.

Quote:
What does size have to do with anything? If you put your hands on an officer, why does being a female get special treatment? Men who do such things aren't being told that to do such behavior and then get hit is unjustified.

I would say that such thinking is characteristic of the "White Knight" syndrome applied erroneously to a situation in which it should have no place.
I believe that women get different treatment because they generally aren't built like men, i.e. simple biology. Plus I never said anything about size so I don't know why you're bringing that up.

I was always taught not to put your hands on a woman, unless your life and welfare are being directly threatened. At any rate, all the woman did was put her hand on the officer's arm. That didn't warrant him punching the daylights out of her.

Damn, with responses like these, I see why domestic violence is so high in the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta