U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 05:52 PM

28,137 posts, read 24,659,949 times

Advertisements

I thought Jimi Izrael's take was pretty good.

Yes, it's true that Perry trades heavily in stereotypes that are not exactly elevating to blacks. On the other hand, other ethnic fillmakers have been doing this for a long time. Maybe blacks have reached the point where they can handle it.

In the larger picture, there's no denying that Perry has been extremely successful, and I'd say that's a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 06:06 PM

28,137 posts, read 24,659,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Spike Lee also has the certain tendency inherent in all Morehouse men (I should know being one) of this snooty level of self importance that looks down anything that doesn't meet their standard (raises hand, guilty as charged ). It is to the point that he has burned so many bridges and pissed so many people off that he has nearly destroyed what started off as being an absolutely brilliant career. While they were not his only good movies, his first six movies (She's Gotta Have It, School Daze, Do the Right Thing, Mo Better Blues, Jungle Fever, and Malcolm X) are masterpieces of American Cinema and essentially a guide book to the 1980s and early 90s Black urban experience.
All those movies are great. And Spike Lee deserves credit for helping bringing actors like Denzel, Samuel L. Jackson, and Wesley Snipes to the forefront. Also some great Italian character actors like Danny Aiello and John Turturro.

Spike is definitely out of the more disciplined and intellectual Morehouse tradition. I didn't know he was still spending time in Atlanta, waronxmas. It would be fun to hear him speak sometime.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:28 PM

2,124 posts, read 3,394,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Bump Spike Lee.

He seems a tad jelous of Tyler success.

Tyler Perry needs better writers but he is a control freak and has to have his hands in every aspect of his shows.

Tyler has found has niche and using it to his advantage. Plus unlike Spike, he doesn't have to go anyone to ask for money to bankroll his films, he can do all by himself.

Spike had his niche in the 1990's but as usual, his mouths has allowed him to burn too many bridges so barely anyone wants anything to do with him.

All the coonery and bs about Tyler is crap. I mean, sure, his 2 shows are wack, his movies have the typical ending, same scenario in every movie and some his actions from his plays to the Big Screen don't transition very well but hell, he is doing alot for black films and plays. He has surely put more black actors and actress to work then Spike has ever done and his market seems to like the predictable of his movies. Then again, the movies without Madea do worse then one with Madea. The Family That Preys was one of his best non Madea/black movie and it didn't get too much attention at all.

Pure sour grapes. Get over it, Spike.

You sound worse than all of those Tyler Perry church women groupies. First of all the comments Spike Lee made were almost TWO years ago. Third, there are alot of drug dealers that have a niche and put plenty of blacks to work but it damn sure doesnt do anything positive for the black community. I mean hell im sure blackface movies put a lot of people to work too but you damn sure wont see me giving anyone props for em just like I dont give his crap movies/tv shows any props. He may be putting more black actors to work, but the way he's doing it he could go jump off a cliff for all I care. Are we seriously going to compare ANYTHING Tyler Perry has done to Malcolm X, Inside Men, School Daze, Miracle at St. Anna, When the levees broke, Bamboozled....? You even said yourself that the FEW decent movies TP did didnt do as well as his cooning movies then turn around and give him props and say he's done more for blacks than Spike Lee has. SMH...

Old 04-28-2011, 09:51 PM

4,230 posts, read 8,878,194 times
Spike Lee all day.. I agree with most in favor of him in this thread, but I also agree that Tyler Perry has to wright to make whatever type of film he wants.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:00 PM

5,098 posts, read 7,348,307 times
Spike Lee has no reason to be jealous of Tyler Perry, and TP was wrong for telling Spike to go to hell.

I know SL has roots in Atlanta, but c'mon, the man is your typical black man from New York, and that NY spirit oozes out of every one of his films. He captures that city in a way that few else have. Crooklyn, Clockers, He Got Game, and Bamboozled are among my all time favorites.

As far Tyler's work goes, I can't say that I enjoy his newer productions; not even his latest play (which just seemed like a bunch of recycled material). His first two films had something special about them. There was a sense of humility about them, and they lacked the pretentiousness of his newer stuff. Nowadays, it's all about glossy sets, formulaic scripts, and star-studded casts. I honestly feel like I'm watching fake movies, like this man ain't for real. And black folks just sit there and eat it all up.

I really appreciated TP at first for trying to get that Christian message out there, but it doesn't seem that he's doing too much of that anymore.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:04 PM

3,129 posts, read 5,144,922 times
I think people are not reading between the lines and what Spike is really saying. What Spike is really saying is its utterly disappointing the black community won't go see "Malcolm X" (which was brilliant) or "Miracle at Santa Anna" (another great movie) but would rather see not exactly brilliant films that portray the very stereotypes said of black people in early Hollywood. It seems he is asking Tyler to elevate his film(s) and step away from the usual cliche's.

That said Tyler is simply giving what the people want, hate it or love it. There is a market for it and the market has decided. Tyler also seems to be a kind and giving person as we have seen over and over. He is giving people jobs here and expanding here in Atlanta. The fact of the matter is if Tyler Perry wrote a movie like "E.T" or "Star Wars" he would be laughed out of Hollywood. In some ways he has the courage to direct and produce what people like Spike Lee won't. I mean Stephen King has his audience and makes some scary books/movies, some kind of demented to me. That said it sells and he has his audience and isn't going to produce "Cinderella" anytime soon. Mr. Nolan seems to be big in Sci-Fi movies so don't expect a documentary. Spielberg isn't out there saying "Nolan is a fake SCi-Fi guy" or "King needs to make something other than horror what is wrong with him".

I like Spike but he needs to think "Win/Win" here and not "Win/Lose". He also seems to forget the very industry he is in. The movie industry is a very small and tough one and they want what works and will produce what has sold. They do NOT like taking risks. Spike should know this. Tyler is simply going with the flow here.

My first Tyler Perry Movie was actually "The Family that Preys" and it was actually pretty good. I didn't feed into stereotypes and just tried to enjoy a movie.

This complaining reminds me of black people that complained (and some still do) that Michael Jordan didn't do enough for the community. I guess they want him parading and speaking to Congress and who knows what else. Well if his example of speaking proper, dressing proper, going back to school to finish his degree, practicing harder than anyone, being a champion, expanding his business and now being an OWNER of a team isn't enough example for people, then something is the hell wrong with them.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:33 AM

4,144 posts, read 5,739,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
You sound worse than all of those Tyler Perry church women groupies. First of all the comments Spike Lee made were almost TWO years ago. Third, there are alot of drug dealers that have a niche and put plenty of blacks to work but it damn sure doesnt do anything positive for the black community. I mean hell im sure blackface movies put a lot of people to work too but you damn sure wont see me giving anyone props for em just like I dont give his crap movies/tv shows any props. He may be putting more black actors to work, but the way he's doing it he could go jump off a cliff for all I care. Are we seriously going to compare ANYTHING Tyler Perry has done to Malcolm X, Inside Men, School Daze, Miracle at St. Anna, When the levees broke, Bamboozled....? You even said yourself that the FEW decent movies TP did didnt do as well as his cooning movies then turn around and give him props and say he's done more for blacks than Spike Lee has. SMH...
Damn, its like that bruh...I thought, we was cool.. lol

I was thinkin of the drug stuff to after I posted.

Honestly, most of Tyler P. stuff is wack. Both of his shows are unfunny to me and the movies have gotten worst over time. Even "For Colored Girls" didn't do good due to his bad cript imho.

He has his niche like spike has niche. Silliness of it to me is they are both fighting for the same crumbs in Hollywood. Only difference, Tyler has used his own money so unlike Spike, he never has the issue of not breaking even.

Even with the crap he has put out, I will give him props. One reason only, he has shown Hollywood that black folks do go to the movies. Now, his crapfest are opening doors for better quality black films that would never had seen the light before.

Sad thing about it, we won't support quality black films so it ain't a tyler perry problem...

My issue with Spike instead of the arguing..come together collective to work on better films that put us in a better light. All this arguing with no real solutions and just making him look like a sore loser in the game. With a Spike Lee script and Tyler directing, you could have something. That's all.

Spike lee groupie...

Old 04-29-2011, 01:57 AM

9,086 posts, read 12,866,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Spike attacked the man and his work and questioned his commitment to positive black imagery in a very public manner.Non of us are perfect but you can disagree without being confrontational
Why does Tyler Perry need to compare with Spike?TP is ding his own thing.While I have never gone to a Tyler Perry play and I dont like some of his projects like Meet the Browns.(I do believe that show is buffoonery for sure.I have come to like the show House of Pain.Its come a long way from when it first aired.You can actually see that there has been some real growth and depth in subject matter and quality of acting.
However to equivlate drug dealing on the level of what Tyler does is quite wrong and a drastic stretch of the imagination.

I think it also unfair to put Spike Lee's 25 + years of experience up against Tyler Perry 7 years!

Money is power.When you get the money people listen.Who do you think has more power in Hollywood?Spike or Tyler?Instead of attacking Tyler in public,why could Spike not come to Tyler and pitch a project where they could work together?I like Spike a lot but in 2006 he praised Tyler

Quote:
DreamWorks began in 1994 as an ambitious attempt by media moguls Steven Spielberg, Jeffrey Katzenberg and David Geffen (forming the SKG present on the bottom of the DreamWorks logo) to create a new Hollywood studio of which they own 72%
Notice that they are all Jewish.If black people could work with each other like this,we could be a successful as Jewish people.
Imagine if S.L. and T.P. created a blockbuster movie based on a famous person or people of African decent like Imohotep or Hannibal of Carthage.It could be blockbuster!

You are acting like all Tyler's movies are insulting and bad.There are plenty of them that I found to be decent.

Why Did I get Married
Daddy's Little Girls
Precious
For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow Is Enuf
A Family That Preys

Im fact most of his movies showcase the black family ,faith perseverance and the strong black woman that is the backbone of our families.There has clearly been a progression in the types of things he is producing today.There is real growth.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:04 AM

9,086 posts, read 12,866,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Damn, its like that bruh...I thought, we was cool.. lol

I was thinkin of the drug stuff to after I posted.

Honestly, most of Tyler P. stuff is wack. Both of his shows are unfunny to me and the movies have gotten worst over time. Even "For Colored Girls" didn't do good due to his bad cript imho.

He has his niche like spike has niche. Silliness of it to me is they are both fighting for the same crumbs in Hollywood. Only difference, Tyler has used his own money so unlike Spike, he never has the issue of not breaking even.

Even with the crap he has put out, I will give him props. One reason only, he has shown Hollywood that black folks do go to the movies. Now, his crapfest are opening doors for better quality black films that would never had seen the light before.

Sad thing about it, we won't support quality black films so it ain't a tyler perry problem...

My issue with Spike instead of the arguing..come together collective to work on better films that put us in a better light. All this arguing with no real solutions and just making him look like a sore loser in the game. With a Spike Lee script and Tyler directing, you could have something. That's all.

Spike lee groupie...
That was kinda my argument.Spike did not have to go off in public without sitting down with Tyler first.I mean when do you here white directors dish other directors about their work?NEVER!!

I just saw this after I posted what I wrote earlier.Tyler is on Monique's show.Tyler basically said the same thing.He should have come to him if he had an issue and show him somethings and maybe it would be reciprocal .
Mo'Nique Invites Spike Lee And Tyler Perry To Resolve Their Differences Face To Face | The Mo'Nique Show | Shows | BET

Old 04-29-2011, 02:08 AM

449 posts, read 955,678 times
I agree that Tyler has a decent amount of films that aren't Coonery & Bufoonery.

I though A Family That Preys was done tastefully and a great movie.

Tyler may not be able to branch out into the socially conscious areas that Spike did and I can't blame TP for staying in his lane of movies about the black family.

Honestly the only movies that TP does that I find to be coonery are the Madea movies.

I don't think people like Aaron McGruder (who's cartoon may be doing more harm than good, when it comes to sending a message) or Spike should criticize TP.

Honestly TP won't go down anywhere close to Spike Lee when it comes to being a great film maker so Spike shouldn't be worried about TP's shows and films b/c they aren't that detrimental and aren't "Flava Flav-like" levels of setting blacks back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or