U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 08:10 AM

4,945 posts, read 8,263,826 times

Advertisements

This thread is a good discussion. I am on the fence about Spike Lee calling out TP. On one hand, I agree with Spike that TP owes it to his fans to elevate his material a bit but then I am like "why does TP have to cater to this line of thinking?" I hate it when black filmmakers and black actors (Halle Berry in particular) get criticized for their work. Halle was thrown under the bus for her role in Monster's Ball. The Hughes Brothers were shunned because of the violence in Menace to Society. Movies are an art form. Someone's interpretation. In the first Terminator, Arnold Swartzenager walked into a crowded LA police station and massacred 30 cops. Where were the protest? Ice Tea makes a song called Cop Killa and Time Warner wants to shut it down. Martin Scorcese and his ilk can make any violent gangster movie they want. Dinero can play a child molesting cop killer but their work is never challenged. Although, I hate Madea and TP movies in general because the plots are not complex at all, I don't think he should change direction to make SL feel better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 08:39 AM

5,207 posts, read 5,964,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Okay, Spike Lee may not be based here anymore but he was born here and educated at Morehouse and Clark. So I've always thought of him as having Atlanta roots.

Have y'all followed the controversy between Lee and Tyler Perry? They've been going at it pretty seriously.

Tyler Perry Vs. Spike Lee: A Debate Over Class And 'Coonery' : Tell Me More : NPR

Tyler Perry Vs Spike Lee | The Urban Daily (http://theurbandaily.com/theurbandaily-original/kevineason/tyler-perry-vs-spike-lee/ - broken link)
Kinda makes me wonder why Lee doesn't live in Atlanta anymore.

My opinion on Perry is he only makes films for black women. It would be dope for him to diversify his movies. The episode on Boondocks that features Perry brought up some really good points about how he makes black women the victims & black men as villains. Spike Lee has some diverse films under his belt, but does not own his own studio like perry does.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:48 AM

17 posts, read 22,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
This thread is a good discussion. I am on the fence about Spike Lee calling out TP. On one hand, I agree with Spike that TP owes it to his fans to elevate his material a bit but then I am like "why does TP have to cater to this line of thinking?" I hate it when black filmmakers and black actors (Halle Berry in particular) get criticized for their work. Halle was thrown under the bus for her role in Monster's Ball. The Hughes Brothers were shunned because of the violence in Menace to Society. Movies are an art form. Someone's interpretation. In the first Terminator, Arnold Swartzenager walked into a crowded LA police station and massacred 30 cops. Where were the protest? Ice Tea makes a song called Cop Killa and Time Warner wants to shut it down. Martin Scorcese and his ilk can make any violent gangster movie they want. Dinero can play a child molesting cop killer but their work is never challenged. Although, I hate Madea and TP movies in general because the plots are not complex at all, I don't think he should change direction to make SL feel better.
This one thing I hate about how society views Blacks or any minority vs Whites. If a film has a all Black or majority Black cast and is marketed to Black people it has to some inspirational or impactful piece of art representing our entire race, while White filmmakers are allowed to make all kinds of films without having to worry about how be a representative of all Whites. This has bothered me for a long time. While I understand where Spike is coming from on TP movies, I feel like that doesn't have to be a negative thing. Sometimes when you see a movie you wanna escape in some fun entertainment and getting away from your already heavy, stressful life. Other times you want to watch something that makes a more powerful statement. But there's room for both types of films and you can't really say one is better than the other...depends on what are in the mood for as a viewer at that time. <-- My 2 cents

Old 04-29-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Team Spike Lee!

However, I do agree with Tyler Perry. Spike needs to let Tyler do what he do and focus on his own career. It's already a rarity to see successful black filmmakers, but it's not a good luck when you have this type of negativity and controversy going on amongst them.

I do wish Tyler would progress and become more creative with his movies; it seems instead of actually improving; he gets worse. That Big Happy Family was a mess and exemplified coonery to the highest level.
It was a coonery cash in. Only a certain type of person would be excited to rush and see that movie. Plus it features Lil bow bow & one of lil waynes baby mamas so automatically taking away jobs from real actors. I guess the only thing to say about Perry is to be patient, maybe his studio can bring us a action flick, a biopic of a legend, a romance/date flick. He has the dramas and comedies in the bag but he should slowly change lanes from time to time. His stock would go up in my book. I dont know man...The "black man in a dress" is really irritating and I can see where Spike might be annoyed with it.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
The Family That Preys was one of his best non Madea/black movie and it didn't get too much attention at all.
Thats because he had many real actors in that one. Plus he had white actors in that movie as well. So all coonery fans stayed away from that one. Says a lot about the coonery audience and how strong they actually are.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:00 AM

28,113 posts, read 24,646,505 times
Do y'all think Tyler Perry specifically targeted blacks as his audience? If so, should that make any difference as to the kind of films he makes?

Old 04-29-2011, 10:18 AM

734 posts, read 1,774,718 times
Tyler Perry was poor and at one point homeless, he played to the lowest denominator in writing his plays so he can make a quick buck and improve his circumstances, is it better than illegal activity like stealing, cheating or selling drugs to lift himself up? Some may argue that this stereotypical plays and movies do just as much harm to the marginalize in the black community. I personally have mixed views about this whole Spike-Tyler issue. Spike has a point, yet Tyler is not just churning out these Madea movies, he's broadening his projects, so he's trying.

I don't think though that all the stereotypical movies and television shows that portray blacks in a negative light would be as bad if there was some balance in their portrayal on the big and small screen. For every "Family That Preys" "Cosby Show" or "Different World" movies/shows there's 10 "Flavor of Love" "Tiny and Toya" or "Madea" shows/films.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:01 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,344,759 times
They need to stop that mess.. Its kinda like nikki minaj vs Lil kim...

Old 04-29-2011, 12:24 PM

15,989 posts, read 29,790,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Do y'all think Tyler Perry specifically targeted blacks as his audience? If so, should that make any difference as to the kind of films he makes?
I think so. Just listen to all the black references he makes within his plays and movies. Yeah; any race can endure this types of situations and issues portrayed in the movies, but his movies definitely seem more aimed toward the black crowd. He just lacks range, creativity and substance and it shows in his movies.

How many times do we need to see black women being treated like **** and black men being abusive and ignorant??? It's getting old and played out. That For Colored Woman movie was a horrible movie and seemed to only exhibit exactly what I mentioned above. Story after story of women being put through misery and BS.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:30 PM

4,143 posts, read 5,735,899 times
Quote:
That For Colored Woman movie was a horrible movie and seemed to only exhibit exactly what I mentioned above. Story after story of women being put through misery and BS.
Blame the author of the book, Ntozake Shange, not Tyler Perry. They just brought him in for the name factor.

I always wondered, if his depiction of bad black men is how he feels about his father/men because of the physical and mental abuse that he endured from him and the ones who molested him...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or