U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 05:57 PM

5,098 posts, read 7,345,980 times

Advertisements

The film adaptation of 'For Colored Girls' was written and directed by Tyler Perry. That's his movie. 'Precious' was not his film.

Family That Preys was corny trash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 08:34 PM

2,123 posts, read 3,392,328 times
I could probably name off a list of a million things id rather do than spend a dime on a tyler perry movie.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:13 PM

4,143 posts, read 5,735,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
The film adaptation of 'For Colored Girls' was written and directed by Tyler Perry. That's his movie. 'Precious' was not his film.

Family That Preys was corny trash.
I thought, he was just brought into to fix the script for "For Colored Girls?" Never knew that he had completely written it.

Then again, its explains why the writer was so unpleased with the finished product and the the over dramatic effect in the movie.

Family That Preys was worth it alone for Sanaa Lathan...

Old 04-29-2011, 09:47 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,114,785 times
I agree wholeheartedly with this post.

As much I like to be pro-black and romanticize on the notion that many of my fellow brothas and sistas are philosophically-intense and willing to entertain heady & cerebral topics in their entertainment choices, the reality is...a significantly large portion of the black community are not.

Maybe it's due to the history of our existence here in the U.S., but a large portion of the black community are working class and that class group in my opinion doesn't care by large to entertain themselves with knowledge intensive topics. Why do I say that, and how do I back that this opinionated assertion up?

Scan this:

1. Malcolm X(1992 version by Spike Lee): Budget-$33,000,000 Gross Revenue: $48,169,910

2. Miracle at St. Anna(Directed by Spike Lee): Budget-$45,000,000 Gross Revenue: $9,290,894 *Note* anybody expecting another war-drama featuring a majority black cast from Hollywood may as well be whistlin' Dixie after looking at the major profit loss from this movie

3. The Great Debaters(Directed by Denzel Washington): Budget- $15,000,000 Gross Revenue:$30,236,407

4. Antwone Fisher(Directed by Denzel Washington): Budget-$12,500,000 Gross Revenue: $23,367,586

5. Daddy's Little Girls(Directed by Tyler Perry): Budget-$10,000,000 Gross Revenue: $31,609,243

6. Why Did I get Married(Directed by Tyler Perry): Budget-$15,000,000 Gross Revenue: $55,862,886

7. Diary of a Mad Black Woman(Directed by Tyler Perry) Budget:$5,500,000 Gross Revenue: $50,652,203

8. Madea Goes To Jail(Directed By Tyler Perry) Budget: $17,500,000 Gross Revenue: $90,508,336

Looking at these movies from budget to Gross revenues for domestic & worldwide viewing, it seems that it's the black men dressing in drag-type of movies that gains the most profit from our black audiences. Y'all can run the numbers yourselves at this website for movies if you don't believe me.

Box Office Mojo

And just to note, I'm not trying to bash the black community here...but the numbers don't lie. Too many of us support lowbrow stuff. That's simply a factor of life.

Even when we are presented with some relatively heady stuff like Antwone Fisher(one of my favorites, it's like the black answer to "Good Will Hunting" starring Matt Damon), far too many of my fellow black people give movies like AF lackluster support at best. Sometimes if you show it, they might not necessarily come.

In my understanding of what Randy said, I would concur that the movie industry is about pure profit(for the most part) at the end of the day. No one likes to take unnecesary risks with their investments and lose money. And again, it's simply the way life is. Most of the black community that pays the major movie-going dollars would rather see slapstick & drag, not philosphy & intense social-political drama.

I dare someone to prove to me otherwise, and with hard numbers & facts, NOT emotionally-charged statements and ad hominem insults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
That said Tyler is simply giving what the people want, hate it or love it. There is a market for it and the market has decided. Tyler also seems to be a kind and giving person as we have seen over and over. He is giving people jobs here and expanding here in Atlanta. The fact of the matter is if Tyler Perry wrote a movie like "E.T" or "Star Wars" he would be laughed out of Hollywood. In some ways he has the courage to direct and produce what people like Spike Lee won't. I mean Stephen King has his audience and makes some scary books/movies, some kind of demented to me. That said it sells and he has his audience and isn't going to produce "Cinderella" anytime soon. Mr. Nolan seems to be big in Sci-Fi movies so don't expect a documentary. Spielberg isn't out there saying "Nolan is a fake SCi-Fi guy" or "King needs to make something other than horror what is wrong with him".

I like Spike but he needs to think "Win/Win" here and not "Win/Lose". He also seems to forget the very industry he is in. The movie industry is a very small and tough one and they want what works and will produce what has sold. They do NOT like taking risks. Spike should know this. Tyler is simply going with the flow here.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 04-29-2011 at 10:29 PM..

Old 04-29-2011, 11:12 PM

5,098 posts, read 7,345,980 times
The only thing I can say is that of the many working and lower middle class blacks I know, many of them do like the quality movies such as Antwone Fisher and Malcolm X is considered a classic in many black homes. Still, it's like you said: the numbers don't lie....take the average young black woman and give her two free tickets, one to a Tyler Perry movie and the other to a Spike Lee, which one do you think she'll choose?

Old 04-30-2011, 03:08 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,344,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I think so. Just listen to all the black references he makes within his plays and movies. Yeah; any race can endure this types of situations and issues portrayed in the movies, but his movies definitely seem more aimed toward the black crowd. He just lacks range, creativity and substance and it shows in his movies.

How many times do we need to see black women being treated like **** and black men being abusive and ignorant??? It's getting old and played out. That For Colored Woman movie was a horrible movie and seemed to only exhibit exactly what I mentioned above. Story after story of women being put through misery and BS.

I agree to a extent BUT its no different than scream 123and4.. Saw 1234and 5 and the list goes on with these horror movies. Its real life rather people wanna see it all the time or not.. I noticed you have belittled every movie he has put out if his movies are so horrible why do you countinue to go see them.. Everyone on here its bitching and complaining but there at the box office buying the tickets.

For the record you may wanna blame the author also

Old 04-30-2011, 04:54 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,114,785 times
I hear ya.

Though I must wonder: Those copies of Malcolm X & Antwone Fisher DVDs sitting in those homes; Are they the official mass-produced & distributed copies by the movie industry itself? Or are they pirated copies & bootleg vids?

If directors like Spike Lee & Denzel Washington & the industry that financially backed their film projects don't recoup enough profit, then more movies like the aforementioned will likely not be made, at least not in large quantity anyways. Then the vicious cycle of lowbrow crap being shove upon the faces of the black community continues unabated.

And I repeat this again; I am not trying to bash the black community here. Just offering some brutally honest conjecture to the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
The only thing I can say is that of the many working and lower middle class blacks I know, many of them do like the quality movies such as Antwone Fisher and Malcolm X is considered a classic in many black homes. Still, it's like you said: the numbers don't lie....take the average young black woman and give her two free tickets, one to a Tyler Perry movie and the other to a Spike Lee, which one do you think she'll choose?

Old 04-30-2011, 08:33 AM

15,989 posts, read 29,790,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
I agree to a extent BUT its no different than scream 123and4.. Saw 1234and 5 and the list goes on with these horror movies. Its real life rather people wanna see it all the time or not.. I noticed you have belittled every movie he has put out if his movies are so horrible why do you countinue to go see them.. Everyone on here its bitching and complaining but there at the box office buying the tickets.

For the record you may wanna blame the author also
I don't go see the movies; usually when I'm go back home; we as a family watch movies and Tyler Perry is usually always picked and my x dragged me to see a few of them. Btw, I actually liked his first movie and WDIGM.

I don't have to blame the author considering she thought the film was trash too. No one is bitching; just accept TP is some **** and get on with your life. No need to talk down on people for their opinions.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:30 PM

5,207 posts, read 5,964,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Do y'all think Tyler Perry specifically targeted blacks as his audience? If so, should that make any difference as to the kind of films he makes?
YES!! Tyler Perrys flicks are targeted to the average black woman of America, especially southern america. That why the Madea movies get more love than Colored Girls (an art film) & Family that Preys. You gotta see the Boondock episode based on Tyler Perry...dude even fired some employees over it. Some how his business secrets got released & that upset him enough to terminate employees. He should not respond to Spike Lee, but by doing so raises many questions.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:45 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,344,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I don't go see the movies; usually when I'm go back home; we as a family watch movies and Tyler Perry is usually always picked and my x dragged me to see a few of them. Btw, I actually liked his first movie and WDIGM.

I don't have to blame the author considering she thought the film was trash too. No one is bitching; just accept TP is some **** and get on with your life. No need to talk down on people for their opinions.

No its all subjective. I like his work its funny and there is always somewhat a message. For colored girls was just real life events that happen all the time in America and all he did was bring them to the forefront. Im tryin to talk down on your opinion but its just funny that the people with all the opinions are the ones they keep going to watch his plays and movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or