U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 03:00 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,113,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
BART (SF) is even more than that. $11.20 round trip from Fremont to SF and there are no monthly passes.
doesnt BART honor rail passes from caltrain??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 06:26 PM

7,848 posts, read 17,820,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPeach View Post
My problem with Marta increasing its fare is that, in comparison with other transit systems, I'll use NYC/MTA as a point of comparison, is MARTA is not 24 hr service, it does not cover the metro Atlanta area (meaning other counties besides Fulton and DeKalb), where as MTA covers not only the five boros of NYC, but also LI and alot of Westchester county. MTA covers alot more ground of its metro area than MARTA and the base fare is 2.25 or 2.50 depending on method of payment and mode of transit; commuter trains are more. MTA also has many different ways to get to a destination that if one route is experiencing difficulties, there is usually an alternate way to get there (ie., a different train line or bus route or both)

I just don't think a fare increase by MARTA means service will get better and I believe the fare will be raised regardless of public hearings on the matter and in another few months after the increase, there will be service cuts or they will vote themselves a raise...what can you do

Luckily my job subsidizes Marta for its employees so that's a help for me I do feel for those who get little to no subsidy for their Marta commute.
Why would anyone compare MARTA to MTA? It would make more sense to compare it to a similar system - not to the most comprehensive system in the U.S. Also, very few American transit systems run 24 hours...that is something that I wouldn't expect in Atlanta, although MARTA only shuts down for 4 hours/day. I'm fine with that.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:50 AM

307 posts, read 538,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Why would anyone compare MARTA to MTA? It would make more sense to compare it to a similar system - not to the most comprehensive system in the U.S. Also, very few American transit systems run 24 hours...that is something that I wouldn't expect in Atlanta, although MARTA only shuts down for 4 hours/day. I'm fine with that.
MTA as well as other transit systems have been brought up in this thread as well as other threads (previous) when there has been talk about MARTA's service or fares or whatever... As all I am doing is expressing my opinion as to why I don't agree with the proposal of an increase in fares I do not think it is so far-fetch to bring in other transit systems as it has been done previously by other posters. Thank you.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:59 AM

2,564 posts, read 3,590,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
They are both designed to serve the same function so I don't think it is unreasonable to compare the two. The lack of 24 hr service is the least important issue in my opinion. Honestly I'm perfectly fine with MARTA shutting down around 1-2am each day. Atlanta just isn't a 24 hour city unless you count the Waffle House.

Nevertheless, MARTA does not perform anywhere near the level of the MTA when it comes to maintaining a reliable schedule. Some bus routes now run only once per hour. I'm lucky I don't have to rely on MARTA and I truly feel sorry for anyone who has to. I've been burned way too many times by infrequent bus and train service and a run in with a surly bus driver or two. I really want to be able to use MARTA but it has become an all-around unpleasant experience more times than not it seems.

Don't even get me started on coverage area.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:05 AM

307 posts, read 538,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
They are both designed to serve the same function so I don't think it is unreasonable to compare the two. The lack of 24 hr service is the least important issue in my opinion. Honestly I'm perfectly fine with MARTA shutting down around 1-2am each day. Atlanta just isn't a 24 hour city unless you count the Waffle House.

Nevertheless, MARTA does not perform anywhere near the level of the MTA when it comes to maintaining a reliable schedule. Some bus routes now run only once per hour. I'm lucky I don't have to rely on MARTA and I truly feel sorry for anyone who has to. I've been burned way too many times by infrequent bus and train service and a run in with a surly bus driver or two. I really want to be able to use MARTA but it has become an all-around unpleasant experience more times than not it seems.

Not to nit pick too much but really it's the trains that shut down for roughly 4 hours a day; the buses are a different story depending on the route some bus stop running at 8pm maybe earlier...but I get your point

Old 05-08-2011, 01:20 PM

864 posts, read 851,965 times
Quote:

That's about as dumb as comparing ATL to NYC itself. Compare it to it's peers which would be Houston's rail/transit or Miami's rail/transit.

Old 05-08-2011, 03:00 PM

3,208 posts, read 4,511,706 times
Between 1 and 5 AM, it would be awesome if they just ran a train from Five Points to Lenox and back. They would literally just need to run one train for an extra four hours to make this happen. I would use it somewhat often, personally.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
That's about as dumb as comparing ATL to NYC itself. Compare it to it's peers which would be Houston's rail/transit or Miami's rail/transit.
How so? I'm not comparing sheer size and/or frequency. I'm talking about reliability and serving all the important areas of the core city. Marta has been around longer than Miami's system and much longer than Houston's. It seems to be going backwards in terms of quality of service.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:56 PM

864 posts, read 851,965 times
Quote:
How so? I'm not comparing sheer size and/or frequency. I'm talking about reliability and serving all the important areas of the core city. Marta has been around longer than Miami's system and much longer than Houston's. It seems to be going backwards in terms of quality of service.

MTA has been around much longer then Marta. So your point is moot by your own logic.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
The thing is we don't live in Chicago or DC. I can't get rid of my car and still get to everything I would want or need to here unless I live in very specific locations, yet I have to pay a premium for low quality transportation compared to NYC which has $102 monthly fares for what is probably the best in the nation.
Quote:
I can't logically follow how wanting transit to be reasonably priced for what it's offering is the sane as saying "it should be free". If you wana charge "live without a car" level transit prices extend the transit so that I can live without a car.
Quote:
Government does not know how to spend so they raise tax/rates to cover bad budgeting/boondogling and scams. Anytime you raise a price or tax for the state it never or rarely fixes an issue, but I have faith if there is an actual plan to expand marta with and BEFORE a %.01 tax increase it would actually happen.
Dude, why did you change your stance? You were comparing them at one time too.

The DC Metro and BART are probably more in MARTA's league but my main point was that MARTA keeps increasing fares while cutting service, which is BS in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or