Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 06:39 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,128,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
You guys are acting nuts. If I have to pay $5 to park and $5 to ride I might as well drive. Gas is high but $10 still gives me more then enough gas to make a trip somewhere then have the convience of driving. You guys are trying to create a transit system for the rich or just the novelty using "you gotta pay for a service "as the excuse. Good luck pricing people out of transit.
You're right, maybe you might as well drive. Many people feel the same way. Still, there is an alternative for those who do not want to or cannot drive.

As far as a "transit system for the rich" and "you gotta pay for service" go, what is your alternative? Gas is at $4/gal and the state is broke. Why should transit riders not share in the increased costs and pay for what they use?

What should the fare be? Who should pay if not the people using the service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 07:11 PM

864 posts, read 1,118,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
You're right, maybe you might as well drive. Many people feel the same way. Still, there is an alternative for those who do not want to or cannot drive.

As far as a "transit system for the rich" and "you gotta pay for service" go, what is your alternative? Gas is at $4/gal and the state is broke. Why should transit riders not share in the increased costs and pay for what they use?

What should the fare be? Who should pay if not the people using the service?
I can't logically follow how wanting transit to be reasonably priced for what it's offering is the sane as saying "it should be free". If you wana charge "live without a car" level transit prices extend the transit so that I can live without a car.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
I can't logically follow how wanting transit to be reasonably priced for what it's offering is the sane as saying "it should be free". If you wana charge "live without a car" level transit prices extend the transit so that I can live without a car.
Who said anything about transit being "free" or am I missing something? You commented about a "system for the rich" and I asked what you think the fare should be set at, and who should pay for operating of the, if not the riders.

Not sure I understand your response.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Who said anything about transit being "free" or am I missing something? You commented about a "system for the rich" and I asked what you think the fare should be set at, and who should pay for operating of the, if not the riders.

Not sure I understand your response.
The riders should pay .... if the system was actually private because then we would not even have to have this discussion over price because the market would have listened. Since it ain't I am willing to pay and tiny sales tax ($.01) to make it better over spending more on roads aside from basic maintenance on them.

How much is Marta worth to me based on other systems and fuel cost? $80 monthly and no more the $3.00 one way at current. Extend it out and increase service and then raise it a few more cents since I would not have to drive as much and keep it going from there. Increase price with quality and reliability. That is all I am asking.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:03 AM

10,733 posts, read 13,277,734 times
Neil - What is the cost to extend a Marta rail line one mile? I believe I recall it is several hundred million. Is that right?

Old 05-01-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Neil - What is the cost to extend a Marta rail line one mile? I believe I recall it is several hundred million. Is that right?
According to this Wikipedia article, it's $100 million per mile. I don't know if that's correct but it can't be far off if not.

Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The riders should pay .... if the system was actually private because then we would not even have to have this discussion over price because the market would have listened.
I agree, so your earlier comment about a "system for the rich" still puzzles me.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:

I agree, so your earlier comment about a "system for the rich" still puzzles me.
Government does not know how to spend so they raise tax/rates to cover bad budgeting/boondogling and scams. Anytime you raise a price or tax for the state it never or rarely fixes an issue, but I have faith if there is an actual plan to expand marta with and BEFORE a %.01 tax increase it would actually happen.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:55 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,896,582 times
Quote:
I would be if I didn't have to drive to live in Atlanta.
Transit agencies are losing money. They don't have much of a choice. Either raise fares or eliminate service. Which would you rather have?

Old 05-01-2011, 04:02 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,896,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
NYC is the best in the nation, but also one of the cheapest. $2.50 one way is a steal compared to DC or SF--round trips in those places can run $10.
BART (SF) is even more than that. $11.20 round trip from Fremont to SF and there are no monthly passes.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:55 PM

339 posts, read 693,428 times
My problem with Marta increasing its fare is that, in comparison with other transit systems, I'll use NYC/MTA as a point of comparison, is MARTA is not 24 hr service, it does not cover the metro Atlanta area (meaning other counties besides Fulton and DeKalb), where as MTA covers not only the five boros of NYC, but also LI and alot of Westchester county. MTA covers alot more ground of its metro area than MARTA and the base fare is 2.25 or 2.50 depending on method of payment and mode of transit; commuter trains are more. MTA also has many different ways to get to a destination that if one route is experiencing difficulties, there is usually an alternate way to get there (ie., a different train line or bus route or both)

I just don't think a fare increase by MARTA means service will get better and I believe the fare will be raised regardless of public hearings on the matter and in another few months after the increase, there will be service cuts or they will vote themselves a raise...what can you do

Luckily my job subsidizes Marta for its employees so that's a help for me I do feel for those who get little to no subsidy for their Marta commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta