U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-01-2007, 12:03 PM

7 posts, read 87,336 times
Default Houses Are Made Of Wood Or Concrete

I've been researching and I would like to move to Georgia (duluth, lawrenceville area) but some people have told me that the houses in georgia are made of wood????????????

is this true, I would like to buy a new house but I want a house that is made of concrete at least in the outside???

Are the old houses made of wood ot the new???????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 12:05 PM

3,080 posts, read 5,610,685 times
Wood is the most common building material due to availability, cost and local building code requirements. You can certainly build using concrete block, but most people around will find it less desirable than a home built using local norms. Your resale value could suffer dramatically.

As far as concrete on the outside, are you discussing stucco? That has appeal in many areas and can be quite attractive, if not quite so popular as brick or stone. It would likely still be over a wood frame construction for cost reasons.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:05 PM

825 posts, read 2,042,127 times
I have an Earthcraft Home made of HardiPlank. Its fiber concrete siding. I really like this material for a house.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:13 PM

7 posts, read 87,336 times
I come form a country that the houses are made of concrete and right now I'm in florida and over here houses are built on the outside with cement blocks and stucco, I want to know if the houses in georgia are made complete out of wood or if they have stucco, cement blocks or brick in the outside.

my neighbor has a house in atlanta and she told me must of the houses are made our of wood, that's why I'm asking.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:31 PM

6,957 posts, read 16,144,113 times
The newly built brick or stucco would most likely be framed in wood. Some of the more expensive ones might have steel framing. Concrete block is not considered a very good building material as the joints tend to crack. It's also harder to insulate, run wiring or plumbing. It's used a lot where getting framing lumber is expensive. Pine and fir are the favored trees.

In area where there is a termite problem, not only is the wood treated, but the foundation of the house will be treated before building and termite shields used.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:40 PM

340 posts, read 1,097,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMINICANA View Post
I come form a country that the houses are made of concrete and right now I'm in florida and over here houses are built on the outside with cement blocks and stucco, I want to know if the houses in georgia are made complete out of wood or if they have stucco, cement blocks or brick in the outside.

my neighbor has a house in atlanta and she told me must of the houses are made our of wood, that's why I'm asking.
I am from Florida too and know how you feel. As far as the houses I have seen in GA are build with wood and stucco or brick sidings. You can even see the multiple story condos or apartments being built with wood. I ended up with purchasing a high-rise condo to avoid a wooden house.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:25 PM

61 posts, read 174,243 times
I assume you are refering to how they are framed right? Almost all houses here are framed with wood, unless you have lots of cash. My home (less than 2yrs old) is framed in wood, but with HardiPlank and brick exterior...so far its holding up ok

Old 08-01-2007, 02:34 PM

340 posts, read 1,097,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcabber View Post
I assume you are refering to how they are framed right? Almost all houses here are framed with wood, unless you have lots of cash. My home (less than 2yrs old) is framed in wood, but with HardiPlank and brick exterior...so far its holding up ok
Of course, wooden framed houses last for many years. If you take care of it free from termite infestation, wooden framed houses are not bad.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:39 PM

61 posts, read 174,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityFan View Post
Of course, wooden framed houses last for many years. If you take care of it free from termite infestation, wooden framed houses are not bad.
Yes, termite free is the key there!

Old 08-02-2007, 01:03 PM

423 posts, read 853,857 times
I got a good chuckle from your question because I grew up in South Florida and wood homes took some getting used to. Wood floors too! My father is a contractor in Palm Beach County and every time he comes to visit he is just amazed by the local construction norms. But the reason there is less wood framing in Florida is because there is no local source and it is expensive to transport. So concrete block is the inexpensive solution in Florida, whereas it is expensive here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta