Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 11:04 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times

Advertisements

This is just an idea to share since in the coming weeks/months, so many people are going to have to deal with rebuilding in the far North/NW area of the Xurbs, and even to the South metro area. Had these F3-F4 tornadoes passed through Cobb, Fulton, or Gwinnett, I'm afraid we'd see a level of devastation we can't even imagine at this time:

I hope folks in all of the areas that have to rebuild take into consideration how their new homes will be built next time around. We've been building square, box-shaped homes in this country for 300+ years. When high winds hit a square home's outer wall, those walls catch that wind almost like a sail and it really doesn't take a whole lot in tornado terms to knock those walls down, especially in two story homes.

We're not keen on change in this country, but I think folks need to start considering newer style homes that have angles/slopes in the outer wall design, or even modern "dome home" styles. These dome homes have been proven via testing to actually be able to easily withstand strong hurricane force sustained winds and are nearly impossible to destroy. Some are even rated as "tornado proof" if done right.

I found a youtube video that shows one of the newer methods of building them strong (and less expensively), but there's a whole row of other videos next to it illustrating a variety of options. I hope folks spread the word about these alternative designs, as while we all hope it will be a long time before an outbreak like this happens again, it could in theory happen at any time. If more folks rebuild with homes like these, the death/injury toll could hopefully be much much lower next time.

Warning - the guy in this video can put you to sleep, but sift around, as there are other examples with good info:

YouTube - Basalt Roving Dome

Feel free to add any suggestions you may know of that can help make someone's existing home possibly more "tornado resistant", such as adding more support brackets in the attic spaces, adding "safe rooms" inside homes, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 03:36 AM

876 posts, read 2,278,359 times
Good thread, Greg, as usual. This is something I have thought about for many years, better construction in areas with adverse weather conditions, such as the South.

I am very familiar with David South and monolithic domes. I am all for this myself and would like to build such a home one day, knowing I cannot resell it since it is considered non-standard architecture. I think such efforts lack a lot of appeal considering aesthetics, but for me practicality means more than how "nice" a traditional house is.

Not sure if you knew this: there are over a dozen or so monolithic dome homes in Georgia that I am aware of. The highest number of them in one area is in Rabun County in NE GA bordering North Carolina. I believe the town is Lakemont, but it has been a while since I have been there. Metro Atlanta has a few, I saw one in Marietta several years ago.

If you prefer to see pictures, go here: Monolithic ? Home of the Monolithic Dome

This person, near Charleston, SC lost his home to Hurricane Hugo about 2 decades ago and built this in place of it.

Last edited by SW30303; 04-30-2011 at 03:45 AM..

Old 04-30-2011, 01:59 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,591,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post

This is just an idea to share since in the coming weeks/months, so many people are going to have to deal with rebuilding in the far North/NW area of the Xurbs, and even to the South metro area. Had these F3-F4 tornadoes passed through Cobb, Fulton, or Gwinnett, I'm afraid we'd see a level of devastation we can't even imagine at this time:

I hope folks in all of the areas that have to rebuild take into consideration how their new homes will be built next time around. We've been building square, box-shaped homes in this country for 300+ years. When high winds hit a square home's outer wall, those walls catch that wind almost like a sail and it really doesn't take a whole lot in tornado terms to knock those walls down, especially in two story homes.

We're not keen on change in this country, but I think folks need to start considering newer style homes that have angles/slopes in the outer wall design, or even modern "dome home" styles. These dome homes have been proven via testing to actually be able to easily withstand strong hurricane force sustained winds and are nearly impossible to destroy. Some are even rated as "tornado proof" if done right.

I found a youtube video that shows one of the newer methods of building them strong (and less expensively), but there's a whole row of other videos next to it illustrating a variety of options. I hope folks spread the word about these alternative designs, as while we all hope it will be a long time before an outbreak like this happens again, it could in theory happen at any time. If more folks rebuild with homes like these, the death/injury toll could hopefully be much much lower next time.

Warning - the guy in this video can put you to sleep, but sift around, as there are other examples with good info:

YouTube - Basalt Roving Dome

Feel free to add any suggestions you may know of that can help make someone's existing home possibly more "tornado resistant", such as adding more support brackets in the attic spaces, adding "safe rooms" inside homes, etc.

I think a key idea, especially for homes without a basement, is to build a small underground shelter where people or families can huddle until the the threat of tornadoes has diminished. It wouldn't have to be all that big, but just a place where it would offer a bit of protection.

It would add an additonal expense to the cost of a house, but it would be dollars well-spent. The underground shelter could range in various sizes. Quite a few homes just have a single person living in them. But other homes do have families.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:09 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
to have a 'storm' celler would be nice, but since we have alot of tornado watch's/warning unless you go running for it when it happens, (and it might be to late then). would not do that much.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:51 PM

439 posts, read 852,694 times
A choice on how your home is being built is given by the BUILDER. Remember the term McMansions? The builders do not always apply high quality materials in their housing and the consumer is not educated to evaluate quality over quantity. Unless, the builder IS the owner which is not the case for the majority of the population. New homes being constructed by builders such as DR Horton, Pulte and etc do not always build tornado proof homes for the price the consumer pays. However, if the owner buys the land and is involved in the process of building their homes. Such as purchasing quality construction materials, consulting a civil engineer and an architect to build the house considering terrain and climate, being an educated consumer. Quality homes can take years to build. The card board homes that were wiped out by this week's tornadoes were built like the usual McMansion quantity vs. quality way.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:11 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,533,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinka72 View Post
A choice on how your home is being built is given by the BUILDER. Remember the term McMansions? The builders do not always apply high quality materials in their housing and the consumer is not educated to evaluate quality over quantity. Unless, the builder IS the owner which is not the case for the majority of the population. New homes being constructed by builders such as DR Horton, Pulte and etc do not always build tornado proof homes for the price the consumer pays. However, if the owner buys the land and is involved in the process of building their homes. Such as purchasing quality construction materials, consulting a civil engineer and an architect to build the house considering terrain and climate, being an educated consumer. Quality homes can take years to build. The card board homes that were wiped out by this week's tornadoes were built like the usual McMansion quantity vs. quality way.
Yeah I agree. The Consumer should step up and do their research. I am not sure but is there a mandate to inform home buyers they are purchasing in a potential tornado area? Isn't that what insurance is for? There probably are building codes that prevent anything but mcmansions on certain size lots...etc

Its a great idea but we are the same city/country still building with sprawl with pretty miss poor planning. Not sure why it would change due to tornados.

Hell New Orleans knew it was only a matter of time before a direct hit came and they didn't prepare much at all.

Developers simply don't care. They hire illegals, they use cheap materials then price the house outrageously.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:01 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,187 times
For one, Tornadoes do not usually hit the same area twice. AFAIK. The chances of it happenning in the same, exact place twice are slim.

However, I think GA could start building homes in concrete (poured concrete, reinforced with rebar) versus frame/cheap wood. People are quick to say that we don't have the same wind ratings as Florida, but these tornadoes are scary and wipe out houses faster than any hurricane.

There are a few builders in the Metro Atlanta area that build homes that can withstand hurricanes and tornadoes (poured concrete or ICF).

Surprisingly they are not that much more expensive. I'd post information on some that I visited in South Atlanta, but would be advertising for them. Would it be ok to post it here? I think we can keep the same designs, but build them stronger.

Maybe, GA can adopt Florida (Dade County) building codes for homes. Pay a bit more (very little), but well worth it IMHO.

1) Concrete homes are stronger, last longer, less termite issues, and also offer greater insulation than wood/frame homes.

2) They dont look like eyesores as some people may think. They look the same, on the outside, but much better built. You won't feel any shaking of the house, or any vibrations like you do in some wood/frame homes.

3) I've lived in both to know the difference.

And,

So true, what Alinka said. I see it time and time again.

Finally,

Greg, you are so right. Dude had me dozing for a bit.

By the way guys and gals, here is a link to a home in Wisconsin built in ICF that stood up to a tornado. All other homes in the area were....gone.

Check it out!! Read on, and discuss.

ICF Home: Benefits of an ICF Home & Safety from Tornadoes

Old 04-30-2011, 08:06 PM

439 posts, read 852,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Yeah I agree. The Consumer should step up and do their research. I am not sure but is there a mandate to inform home buyers they are purchasing in a potential tornado area? Isn't that what insurance is for? There probably are building codes that prevent anything but mcmansions on certain size lots...etc

Its a great idea but we are the same city/country still building with sprawl with pretty miss poor planning. Not sure why it would change due to tornados.

Hell New Orleans knew it was only a matter of time before a direct hit came and they didn't prepare much at all.

Developers simply don't care. They hire illegals, they use cheap materials then price the house outrageously.
Yes, that is what insurance is for. But home insurance does not cover flood and water damage. FEMA does. How many homes in New Orleans were insured for flood? Almost none. Insurance companies will make sure they word their policies so that the consumer is not covered. I have a feeling that the damages caused by the latest tornadoes will be classified as 'water damage'.

One can tell, from TV, those homes were made short of card board.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:43 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW30303 View Post
I am all for this myself and would like to build such a home one day, knowing I cannot resell it since it is considered non-standard architecture. I think such efforts lack a lot of appeal considering aesthetics, but for me practicality means more than how "nice" a traditional house is.
There are ugly dome homes just like there are ugly traditional homes.

That was just one example. Some dome homes can be pretty good looking (while others, not) just like any home.

Search Results (images).

Old 05-01-2011, 08:45 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,533,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinka72 View Post
Yes, that is what insurance is for. But home insurance does not cover flood and water damage. FEMA does. How many homes in New Orleans were insured for flood? Almost none. Insurance companies will make sure they word their policies so that the consumer is not covered. I have a feeling that the damages caused by the latest tornadoes will be classified as 'water damage'.

One can tell, from TV, those homes were made short of card board.
Sad isn't it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: