U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-02-2011, 09:28 AM
 
1,498 posts, read 2,617,952 times
Reputation: 550

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
What's extra funny about this is that you berate people for sharing anecdotal evidence about the job market, then you admit you didn't even look at the data yourself and use your own anecdotal evidence to advance your position instead.
Have you ever heard of sarcasm?

Quote:
FYI, Atlanta's workforce grew in the last month by 2,500 workers. So the idea the unemployment rate falling due to people dropping out of the workforce is false.
That's just the net growth rate. It doesn't take account of how many people dropped out.
Quote:
It's not so black and white from where I'm sitting--restaurant jobs grew the most, but plenty of other sectors grew as well.
Yeah, like government. When the government sector is growing, you know things must really be looking up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-02-2011, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Ono Island, Orange Beach, AL
10,028 posts, read 9,351,063 times
Reputation: 5653
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Not 3Ls graduating from a top tier school. Try again.
BBC - On average, a typical associate doesn't generate a realizable margin for about 3 years; however, big firms have been paying them huge starting salaries ($160,000 for someone with no experience is a tremendous amount of money). Big firms are starting to realize the error of their calculus. Firms must invest a lot of money in associates to bring them up to profitable productivity. However, I agree with you that 3Ls graduating from top tier schools are getting jobs, but only the top of the class 3Ls can be assured of getting a top tier (based on starting salary) job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2011, 09:33 AM
 
1,498 posts, read 2,617,952 times
Reputation: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Yup - BBC, what's wrong with McDonald's cashier jobs or janitorial jobs? They are better than no jobs. Doesn't need to be an investment banking or accounting firm job for it to be important. Especially, if YOU are the one in need of the paycheck.
You don't think there's a problem when the 50,000 white collar jobs lost are replaced with 50,000 cashier jobs? I wouldn't exactly call that a recovery. It's not a sign of a healthy economy when an investment banker who lost his job in 2008 has to work at GAP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2011, 09:34 AM
 
99 posts, read 184,446 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Not 3Ls graduating from a top tier school. Try again.
So you're saying 3Ls from top tier schools are only JUST beginning to have difficulty finding a job? Depending on the focus, graduating from a top tier school makes it easier to land a job, but that doesn't change that fact that law has been an oversaturated market for decades. The recession didn't just make it that way a couple of years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2011, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Ono Island, Orange Beach, AL
10,028 posts, read 9,351,063 times
Reputation: 5653
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
You don't think there's a problem when the 50,000 white collar jobs lost are replaced with 50,000 cashier jobs? I wouldn't exactly call that a recovery. It's not a sign of a healthy economy when an investment banker who lost his job in 2008 has to work at GAP.
Not so sure of that. Perhaps its an economy recovering in a sustainable way. Perhaps, the economy is rationalizing itself - that we can get by with less expensive human resources and deploy human capital in functions that are more realistic to long term sustainability. Not that I don't feel badly for the guy who used to make hundreds of thousands now making tens of thousands. That sucks for him and his family. But, in the grand scheme of things it might be what's best for the economy in the long run and in the big picture. But for now, it's better to have some job than no job. It's a start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2011, 09:39 AM
 
1,498 posts, read 2,617,952 times
Reputation: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
BBC - On average, a typical associate doesn't generate a realizable margin for about 3 years; however, big firms have been paying them huge starting salaries ($160,000 for someone with no experience is a tremendous amount of money). Big firms are starting to realize the error of their calculus. Firms must invest a lot of money in associates to bring them up to profitable productivity. However, I agree with you that 3Ls graduating from top tier schools are getting jobs, but only the top of the class 3Ls can be assured of getting a top tier (based on starting salary) job.
I'm not referring to salary, I'm referring to an actual job. Obviously you had to be at the top of your class to get a job at King & Spalding. What's different now is that you have to be at the top of your class to even get a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2011, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Ono Island, Orange Beach, AL
10,028 posts, read 9,351,063 times
Reputation: 5653
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
I'm not referring to salary, I'm referring to an actual job. Obviously you had to be at the top of your class to get a job at King & Spalding. What's different now is that you have to be at the top of your class to even get a job.
No, I think we both agree. It's just tough, for starting lawyers included. And, no, I am not at King & Spalding. Geez - they are getting hammered in the media these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2011, 09:45 AM
 
1,498 posts, read 2,617,952 times
Reputation: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocsanders View Post
So you're saying 3Ls from top tier schools are only JUST beginning to have difficulty finding a job? Depending on the focus, graduating from a top tier school makes it easier to land a job, but that doesn't change that fact that law has been an oversaturated market for decades. The recession didn't just make it that way a couple of years ago.
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Most top tier 3Ls already had a job by the fall of their 3L year. Law has been over-saturated because there's too many lower tier law school grads. Top tier grads weren't really affected by that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2011, 09:57 AM
 
99 posts, read 184,446 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Most top tier 3Ls already had a job by the fall of their 3L year. Law has been over-saturated because there's too many lower tier law school grads. Top tier grads weren't really affected by that.
I will agree with that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2011, 10:05 AM
 
Location: Ono Island, Orange Beach, AL
10,028 posts, read 9,351,063 times
Reputation: 5653
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Most top tier 3Ls already had a job by the fall of their 3L year. Law has been over-saturated because there's too many lower tier law school grads. Top tier grads weren't really affected by that.
And, unfortunately, a whole bunch were laid off or terminated back in '09, as well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:27 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top