U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 09:29 PM

2 posts, read 1,906 times

Advertisements

We need help. Contrary to popular opinion, the jobs are not out there yet. Governor What if you had no money? How would you survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 09:23 AM

1,228 posts, read 2,047,577 times
The job market is still very rough. There are more job fairs and job postings now in the past two months, but there are so many people applying, it's still very difficult to get through. Nearly all companies (even places like Target & Publix) require you to apply through their websites, which they use a filter that picks out resumes according to whatever keywords they type in (like "customer service"). I try to make sure that my resume has common keywords so I can get through, but I still have not gotten an interview. I network, follow job leads through news articles, etc.
All that I ask is that everyone not be so judgemental on the unemployed-a lot of us are trying the best we can.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:42 AM

10,026 posts, read 9,344,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
All that I ask is that everyone not be so judgemental on the unemployed-a lot of us are trying the best we can.

You are right - mmg. No one should be judgmental of the unemployed because they are unemployed. I wish you the best of luck as do, I am sure, most of your fellow CDers.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:46 AM

864 posts, read 889,392 times
Quote:
The job market is still very rough. There are more job fairs and job postings now in the past two months, but there are so many people applying, it's still very difficult to get through. Nearly all companies (even places like Target & Publix) require you to apply through their websites, which they use a filter that picks out resumes according to whatever keywords they type in (like "customer service"). I try to make sure that my resume has common keywords so I can get through, but I still have not gotten an interview. I network, follow job leads through news articles, etc.
It's a better world being able to apply online. With sprawl and gas prices the way it is it works out better.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
It's a better world being able to apply online. With sprawl and gas prices the way it is it works out better.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:06 AM

3,263 posts, read 4,675,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
I found it to be a mixed blessing when I was looking myself. Since there is no cost to solicit and receive applications, lots of extraneous nonsense pops up everywhere, and companies "careers" pages always claim to be hiring even when they're actually laying people off. Jobs will always get hundreds of applicants who are just taking a shot in the dark and don't even bother to put together a cover letter; qualified applicants can get washed away in the sea of nonsense.

The amount of signal has definitely increased, but the level of noise seems to have increased tenfold. Many of the jobs posted are utter nonsense and scams.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:27 AM

1,228 posts, read 2,047,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
Not really. Being able to apply with someone directly is much better because you can show that you are a well groomed, pleasant personality that would be an asset to the company;not just a piece of paper.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:23 AM

2,585 posts, read 3,732,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
I found it to be a mixed blessing when I was looking myself. Since there is no cost to solicit and receive applications, lots of extraneous nonsense pops up everywhere, and companies "careers" pages always claim to be hiring even when they're actually laying people off. Jobs will always get hundreds of applicants who are just taking a shot in the dark and don't even bother to put together a cover letter; qualified applicants can get washed away in the sea of nonsense.

The amount of signal has definitely increased, but the level of noise seems to have increased tenfold. Many of the jobs posted are utter nonsense and scams.
I agree totally. Even supposedly respectable companies post 'jobs' to fulfill quotas, make themselves feel better, or something like that without any real enthusiasm for hiring anybody. I've noticed Google and Turner doing this in my job search experience. They keep posting the same exact jobs for months and months in this crappy economy. Something is fishy about that. Either they are WAY too picky or these postings are in some way BS.

You really have to network your ass off in this city to get a decent job. I've always felt a little uneasy doing it since I'm basically 'using' someone.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:38 AM

Scew that. Driving cost money and if I'm looking for a job I don't need to be doing it unless I have a interview. I get my resume to way more hands too. Unless I'm applying to about a bar or something.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:41 PM

3,263 posts, read 4,675,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I agree totally. Even supposedly respectable companies post 'jobs' to fulfill quotas, make themselves feel better, or something like that without any real enthusiasm for hiring anybody. I've noticed Google and Turner doing this in my job search experience. They keep posting the same exact jobs for months and months in this crappy economy. Something is fishy about that. Either they are WAY too picky or these postings are in some way BS.

You really have to network your ass off in this city to get a decent job. I've always felt a little uneasy doing it since I'm basically 'using' someone.
On that point, you always get the feeling when you look at a job opening that it has probably been posted on 18 sites and once it's filled the employer makes no effort whatever to track down all the postings and remove them. So you spend 2-3 hours applying for a job that has about a 10% chance of actually being anything real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or